Looking for alternatives to a specific Genus Head

ValKalAstra

Greetings!

Without much ado, I'm looking to switch away from the Genus Brand of Mesh-Heads. My primary obstacle there isn't cost but rather a lack of knowledge on what alternative might come closest to my status quo. I looked around and came out overwhelmed. There's something with my mind's eye where I struggle to visualize different mesh heads properly and the demos I tried made it extra hard with the demo markers (no complaint, just... giving me trouble visualising).

Alright, first things first. My current head is the Genus Mesh Head Classic Model W001. With some fiddling and tweaks, I've settled on a look that's a good match and doesn't give me uncanny valley feelings (it might to others, you never know :P). However, I want to move to another brand entirely. For this to happen, I would need to get a reasonable approximation of what I currently have. Most importantly, nose, eyeshape and cheek/jawbone structure.

6uBcueX.jpg

The result will obviously not be a perfect match. I'm aware of that. I'm also willing to put a pretty penny to not have animations glitch out randomly. I did check one thing already: the current texture is also sold in variants for most other mesh head makers. So in order of importance:

High Priority:

- No face animation crashes in awkward poses.

- No need to constantly troubleshoot and DIY bugfix issues. In that regard, I'm cursed.

- Active Development.

Medium Priority:

- Similar nose, eyeshape and cheek/jawbone structure.

So, my question to those of you that have got a lot more experience with mesh heads than I do: Is this a realistic endeavour? Are there heads that are reasonably close in shape or can be made reasonably close with tweaks? If so, which ones?

/edit: *checks subforum, checks thread, facepalms herself and slinks out in embarassment* Probably wrong Subforum, sorry :|

Edited by ValKalAstra
I'm an idiot.

36 minutes ago, ValKalAstra said:

Greetings!

Without much ado, I'm looking to switch away from the Genus Brand of Mesh-Heads. My primary obstacle there isn't cost but rather a lack of knowledge on what alternative might come closest to my status quo. I looked around and came out overwhelmed. There's something with my mind's eye where I struggle to visualize different mesh heads properly and the demos I tried made it extra hard with the demo markers (no complaint, just... giving me trouble visualising).

Alright, first things first. My current head is the Genus Mesh Head Classic Model W001. With some fiddling and tweaks, I've settled on a look that's a good match and doesn't give me uncanny valley feelings (it might to others, you never know :P). However, I want to move to another brand entirely. For this to happen, I would need to get a reasonable approximation of what I currently have. Most importantly, nose, eyeshape and cheek/jawbone structure.

6uBcueX.jpg

The result will obviously not be a perfect match. I'm aware of that. I'm also willing to put a pretty penny to not have animations glitch out randomly. I did check one thing already: the current texture is also sold in variants for most other mesh head makers. So in order of importance:

High Priority:

- No face animation crashes in awkward poses.

- No need to constantly troubleshoot and DIY bugfix issues. In that regard, I'm cursed.

- Active Development.

Medium Priority:

- Similar nose, eyeshape and cheek/jawbone structure.

So, my question to those of you that have got a lot more experience with mesh heads than I do: Is this a realistic endeavour? Are there heads that are reasonably close in shape or can be made reasonably close with tweaks? If so, which ones?

/edit: *checks subforum, checks thread, facepalms herself and slinks out in embarassment* Probably wrong Subforum, sorry :|

Totally happy with all aspects of the EvoX from Lelutka.  I've yet to have any issues and they are great with updates.  I'd suggest demoing a few.  They are widely supported at the moment since other brands seem to be lagging behind with new products.

• Like 1

Nephtyria went from using a Genus head to a Lelutka Evolution head. I was pretty anxious about doing the swap, as I didn't want her to become a 'new individual', but I managed to make such a close match that comparing the Genus head with the old shape to the Lelutka head with the new shape I made for it, they were practically indistinguishable. 

• Like 1

I second LeLutka.

They're great heads, they take a lot more fine tuning than Genus to get the shape right, but their customer support is top notch, and having spoken with some of their devs directly to report bugs and request features, they are definitely the brand I recommend.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ValKalAstra said:

I too use the Genus Classic W001 (for my main look, anyway). I also have a number of LeLutka heads including Avalon and find them to be superior to Genus in many ways, but I just cannot replicate my shape using any of their heads, can't get close to it.

I would still strongly recommend LeLutka if you are keen to move away from Genus and suggest that you try demos of all their Evo and Evo X heads, along with skin demos from whoever made the Genus skin you are wearing now, then play with sliders to see what you can come up with. Fingers crossed you have more luck than me.

• Like 1

Quick update from me - spent a while with the Lelutka heads and tried alternate textures as well to give it a fair chance. I can see why people like it and will probably make the switch in the long run - however with a different look. Especially the cheekbones and eyes I can't get close to on the various different evo and evox heads. I'll keep trying. Thank you everyone.

13 hours ago, Maitimo said:

Oh lord, I picked up a free Genesis head for an alt during the Stay At Home event last year. It was so dreadful that even as a freebie, it was basically unusable. 

That's why it was free. The Genesis 3.0 heads are pretty nice and are not extremely overpriced compared to genus and lelutka . Its a good mesh head on a budget with animations and makeup options. 

Sorry to burst your bubble, but those Genesis heads are priced at a whopping L$ 5,500 for no apparent bonus, while LeLutka heads are L$ 3,990 for standard and HD options and wide support.

And Genus seems to have never recovered from the DCMA strikes and merely "strive" on the free giveaway...

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, LilMil0 said:

That's why it was free. The Genesis 3.0 heads are pretty nice and are not extremely overpriced compared to genus and lelutka . Its a good mesh head on a budget with animations and makeup options. 

I had a few of those Genesis 3.0 heads.

It took forever and a day to find lipstick for them.. Even their own didn't fit their heads.