The end of gachas is sadly not the end of the ill nature of some people.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 946 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Actually, reason I called on Patch is because 2 pages in I was already reading ad hominem attacks, and, surprisingly, I learned from my mistakes. GROWTH! And know that that doesn't fly here.

Secondly, yeah, this is just a rehash topic for the sake of, well... rehashing. Rehashing stuff that got a whole thread locked, yeah. And also, once again, it's hypothesizing about what actually happened and fearmongering about why it happened and what might happen next. Consider staying in your consumerist lane and waiting for the powers that be to make decisions (like banning gachas), rather than trying to constantly rile folks up into a frenzy.

But I'm not talking to anyone in particular here, I mean this to the whole community. Please. Chill.

3 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

So, doubling down then?

That's nice.

In some ways it is an entirely appropriate thread for some people so as to continue proving the gist of the thread title, ie:

The end of gachas is sadly not the end of the ill nature of some people.

Thanks for continuing to prove that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I didn't want Solar to miss it. He is special. B|

29 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

.... and that's a personal attack.

We're doing so well.

28 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Sorry, no. That was not an attack.

Yea it was.  & out of line & uncalled for & grasping for anything to quip back when rational words fail you.  Classy.  

& while I’m at it (& this will all be deleted or locked in 12 hours anyways- why are you so snooty re: what are you watching, eating, listening to threads. (& that was a . not a ?- didn’t want you to miss it seeing as you’re looking down at some of us peons who participate in silly threads.)

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, DYNASTY Clip said:

From the blog post...

We will continue to allow any sales where a payment is given for a known item, which means that items that had been purchased as “gacha” will be allowed to be re-sold as long as the buyer knows in advance the item and quantity they will receive. 

Well my question is what prompted LL to make the decision to ban gachas? its been around for a loooong time and they just take action on it now? I could only assume because its a form of psuedo gambling where you put so much money into a randomized item system in order to get the one thing you want. I kinda disagree with the OP though as well... A LOT of times i find really awesome exclusive items only found in gachas versus the stuff being sold straight up without gambling for it. So very soon the gacha sellers would have to sell items directly instead of it being randomized... THE ONLY thing that bothered me about gachas was the no copy they always would do. But that was because the general idea was to give away the items you didn't want to someone else easily. I personally don't want to accept half-ass answers on things though. And its a shame these big companies don't want to give any explanations behind their decisions.

Edited by shippo849
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, shippo849 said:

Well my question is what prompted LL to make the decision to ban gachas? its been around for a loooong time and they just take action on it now? I could only assume because its a form of psuedo gambling where you put so much money into a randomized item system in order to get the one thing you want. I kinda disagree with the OP though as well... A LOT of times i find really awesome exclusive items only found in gachas versus the stuff being sold straight up without gambling for it. So very soon the gacha sellers would have to sell items directly instead of it being randomized... THE ONLY thing that bothered me about gachas was the no copy they always would do. But that was because the general idea was to give away the items you didn't want to someone else easily. I personally don't want to accept half-ass answers on things though. And its a shame these big companies don't want to give any explanations behind their decisions.

Linden Lab is not a big company. They're not even a medium sized company. It's a small closely held corporation that is not obligated to give any explanations for any decisions to anyone, except a court of law or the IRS.

https://www.thebalancesmb.com/what-is-a-closely-held-corporation-398187

50 minutes ago, shippo849 said:

Did you read the official blog post I posted above?  That is the extent of any info given.

• Like 2

They did say "due to the changing regulatory environment". You just need to use your noodle and google a little to discover there has been a regulatory crackdown on "loot boxes" and anything that could be considered gambling by regulators. This is across all gaming. Its not hard to see how Gatchas can be defined as gambling.

Side note - I am starting to think LL is missing a trick slightly with NFT's.

For people that dont know, NFT's are digital assets "minted" and recorded on unchangeable blockchain ledgers. So you can verify ownership easily. 

I dont know how it would look in SL, but I imagine a situation where a creator could make 1 of a kind or very limited exclusive items with an NFT mechanism involved. There are already a bunch of startup "metaverses" doing exactly that. but none of them have the graphical fidelity of SL (lol, I know, right?).

People are paying SILLY money for NFT's of pixel drawings right now.

Edited by AnnabelleApocalypse
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Clever boy :P but there are many other similar things to bitcoin these days that use the underlying technology - called a blockchain. One of those is NFT's - Non-Fungible Tokens. A "Token" can be any digital asset in theory.

Like I said, I dont know how it might work in SL. All I know is this image sold for $7.8 million recently. And is currently valued around $11 mil. Its a crazy new world out there.

CryptoPunk-3100.jpg.1fedad186b524c1f7f24d63476b5ec23.jpg

Edited by AnnabelleApocalypse
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 946 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.