Questions About Copyright With Roleplay Sims

Hello all thanks for taking the time to read over my post.

I was possibly interested in opening my own roleplay sim that plays out the storyline and official characters of a book series that has also been adapted into film by a major company. While investigating roleplay sims that are currently open with this same origin, I have noticed nearly all are essentially fanfics from the same world of a book/film but does not offer any official storylines or have official character appearances- except, of course, the Middle Earth roleplay that has legal approval from the Tolkien Estate. This, then, brought into question the legality of opening an RP sim with official storylines played out and official character appearances within Second Life, strictly through roleplay means, or if I would be banned/sued for opening such a place even though I intend to have absolutely no profit made from anything. And I want to emphasized this - I want *zero* profit from such a sim as it would 110% be a hobby, and I do not plan on selling anything that could remotely violate TOS.

Any input on this topic would be so greatly appreciated, and if I think of further questions I will update this initial post.

[EDIT] I want to clarify what I mean by 'fanfic' - I am referencing that most sims I found that are roleplaying a book/movie/tv show were within the same 'world' of the story but in a completely different time frame as the official storyline and 100% of the roleplay characters involved are made up (such as a Star Trek roleplay sim does not have a Captain Picard leading the Enterprise spaceship). My main question, with Star Trek as my example, is would I be breaking any laws/rules if I opened a Star Trek sim with someone roleplaying as Captain Picard, speaking with his personality, but not pasting exact quotes from the episodes in every conversation and there is no profit to be made.

Edited by KatichinamoDadisun27
Clarification
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, KatichinamoDadisun27 said:

I was possibly interested in opening my own roleplay sim that plays out the storyline and official characters of a book series that has also been adapted into film by a major company. While investigating roleplay sims that are currently open with this same origin, I have noticed nearly all are essentially fanfics from the same world of a book/film but does not offer any official storylines or have official character appearances- except, of course, the Middle Earth roleplay that has legal approval from the Tolkien Estate. This, then, brought into question the legality of opening an RP sim with official storylines played out and official character appearances within Second Life, strictly through roleplay means, or if I would be banned/sued for opening such a place even though I intend to have absolutely no profit made from anything. And I want to emphasized this - I want *zero* profit from such a sim as it would 110% be a hobby, and I do not plan on selling anything that could remotely violate TOS.

Any input on this topic would be so greatly appreciated, and if I think of further questions I will update this initial post.

I'm not entirely sure how all that works. What I have seen though is companies more up in arms over items being sold in world and/or on market. I generally see it more with Star Wars then any other genre. I seriously doubt all of these sims got actual permission to run. Trying to police copyrights on SL the same as you would in RL has always been an ignorant concept to me. It's like trying to police the modding community. lol Some creators get messed with while others go unchecked. More often then not a lot of great creations are lost over time due to this. I feel like if they are that worried about it then they should create their own official content on the grid for people to purchase.👍😉

In terms of sims I've only ever seen one sim get messed with which was a boxing sim and they were forced to do a name change. I don't think you have to worry about getting in trouble. I think if an issue comes up then you will be contacted and asked to make the appropriate changes. That's at least how it used to work back in the day. I would come up with a name for your sim that they can't gripe about and put in the description what your sim is actually about. You should be good to go doing it that way.👍😉

For example if I want to run a Star Wars sim or create content then I'd call it Fart Wars just so Disney could get a good whiff of that muffler. lol👍😁

Disclaimer: I'm probably not the best person to get advice from on this. lol Good luck mate. I wish you all the best of success.👍😎

3 hours ago, KatichinamoDadisun27 said:

While investigating roleplay sims that are currently open with this same origin, I have noticed nearly all are essentially fanfics from the same world of a book/film but does not offer any official storylines or have official character appearances

I think this is the best way to go, and for authors who have given guidance about RP of their material on fan sites, this may be what the author (or the author's estate) has requested - no official storylines or official characters from the book or film.  I know that is the case for a RP I was involved with which was based on a book series.

In the background lore for your RP here, you could provide a brief overview of the official story/character that places the time, location, rules of the world that the story inhabits, etc., from which the new RP stories will emerge out of, but I would also include a disclaimer that except for the purpose of setting the initial context, the offical story/characters are not involved with the RP story line moving forward.

13 hours ago, KatichinamoDadisun27 said:

This, then, brought into question the legality of opening an RP sim with official storylines played out and official character appearances within Second Life, strictly through roleplay means, or if I would be banned/sued for opening such a place even though I intend to have absolutely no profit made from anything. And I want to emphasized this - I want *zero* profit from such a sim as it would 110% be a hobby, and I do not plan on selling anything that could remotely violate TOS.

The problem with that statement is that Linden Lab would be making money from your place, just as they do on any other piece of virtual "land" someone rents. If the copyright holder has an issue it's the Lab who would be in position to take the hit and they'd have no interest in taking on that kind of exposure. Part of the TOS states that any "user content" must be clear of outside copyrights.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2021 at 2:34 AM, KatichinamoDadisun27 said:

[EDIT] I want to clarify what I mean by 'fanfic' - I am referencing that most sims I found that are roleplaying a book/movie/tv show were within the same 'world' of the story but in a completely different time frame as the official storyline and 100% of the roleplay characters involved are made up (such as a Star Trek roleplay sim does not have a Captain Picard leading the Enterprise spaceship). My main question, with Star Trek as my example, is would I be breaking any laws/rules if I opened a Star Trek sim with someone roleplaying as Captain Picard, speaking with his personality, but not pasting exact quotes from the episodes in every conversation and there is no profit to be made.

I looked into that middle earth sim, the Tolkien estates correspondence I got was there are 0 secondlife sims with their approval, and the sims site keeps changing on their claims, the wording has been changed in the sim as well. I question how much truth is in that claim.

Edited by TheDarkhand