how can i hide my account name and only show my display name on profile and on game

ttichacek

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4681 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

7 answers to this question

If you want to hide your account name from others, sorry there is no way.

If you want to set up SL so that account names are not displayed, only display names then just go to Preferences (ctrl+p) > General and uncheck "usernames" under Nametags.

Really, usernames should be off by default. LL decided to set them on as default to appease paranoid people who don't realize usernames are easy to see any number of ways so we don't need them visible in nametags.

it's not possible to completely hide the account name and it shouldn't be possible either(!), but display name options are set in your preferences (i'm not familiar with v2, which i assume you are using) - but you cannot control what others see as they have set their prefs different.

i even know of some people who refuse to use the display name nonsense all together :matte-motes-evil-invert:

Hello ttichacek. In Viewer 2 give the command: Menu Me --> Preferences --> General Tab --> Unselect "My name" --> Select "View Display names" --> OK

Have in your mind that it exists only for you. Your friends and everybody arround you will see your display name only if they have display names enable for them. The fact is that you never hide your account name even you have a display name.

You can't, thank goodness. There are too many other ways for griefers to cause trouble. If they could hide their real identities so that we couldn't AR them, that would be just too much to take.  Be glad also that a merchant always has your username in the transaction history and can be sure that you are their real customer if you ever have to ask for redelivery or make a complaint.  In SL or RL, it's good to know who you are dealing with.

Your account name is your user ID and the only constant on your account, so people need to be able to see it or they won`t know who you are if they try to search you, add you to groups, give you access to secure land, send you teleports, pay you money etc etc etc.

So there isn`t now, nor will there ever be, a way to hide that from people.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4681 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.