Next theme after Fantasy

Evangeline Arcadia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 968 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

I hope they do better than the Horizons homes... I do like the idea but the implementation resulted in buildings with mostly useless internal spaces. They work fine for a little reception area I guess, maybe a place for portals to elsewhere on your parcel but aside from that just too small and awkward. That is why you never or rarely see people actually using them. If they return to a sci-fi theme they really need to consider how the space the buildings provide can be used. 

I agree, with some changes and updating it's so fitting to be in Bellisseria, the old Horizons is gone, it will be amazing to have a newer version of it in Bellisseria.

Snapshot_16209.png.79576eacb5de437a621762437928dba1.png

How pretty 🥺 it's even prettier at night, sad it doesn't look like this anymore 🥺💔

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 8/25/2021 at 11:11 AM, SarahThe Wanderer said:

If they're going to do a Sci fi theme, I'd like to see similar version of the Horizons regions, it's beautiful there but people ruined it with their traditional homes.

6 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

I hope they do better than the Horizons homes... I do like the idea but the implementation resulted in buildings with mostly useless internal spaces. They work fine for a little reception area I guess, maybe a place for portals to elsewhere on your parcel but aside from that just too small and awkward. That is why you never or rarely see people actually using them. If they return to a sci-fi theme they really need to consider how the space the buildings provide can be used. 

In all my years in SL I've never been to Horizons, so thought I'd take a quick look. It's kinda cute. I think some of the Linden built sci-fi homes could work nicely for homes (updated versions of course) like this one for example...it's on a 1024 plot and because it's above ground gives a bit of room for a garden or other outdoor decor . The inside doesn't actually feel as cramped as I thought it wouild, you could get quite a bit of furniture in it or even divide up the space. But I think it would be nicer with bigger windows, ceiling to floor length or something like, or just more windows all around.

HorizonsBianca_001.png.4535b2924763d9863cf98ca49df7949a.pngHorizonsBianca_002.png.4b9cce00a1fcc5441a24c6c4a74b2ce8.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

In all my years in SL I've never been to Horizons, so thought I'd take a quick look. It's kinda cute. I think some of the Linden built sci-fi homes could work nicely for homes (updated versions of course) like this one for example...it's on a 1024 plot and because it's above ground gives a bit of room for a garden or other outdoor decor . The inside doesn't actually feel as cramped as I thought it wouild, you could get quite a bit of furniture in it or even divide up the space. But I think it would be nicer with bigger windows, ceiling to floor length or something like, or just more windows all around.

HorizonsBianca_001.png.4535b2924763d9863cf98ca49df7949a.pngHorizonsBianca_002.png.4b9cce00a1fcc5441a24c6c4a74b2ce8.png

Wow, I have totally missed the whole Horizons thing and I can see on the map that there are a TON of regions in the group.  Must have arrived during one of my "out-of-SL" periods!  Thanks for all the info, I will take a look when I next get inworld.

• Like 6

Horizons architecture is all about the exteriors.

Futuristic houses are hard.

503484-0-cbaraja.jpg

No. The "UFO house" on the right was a mass-produced product, and I've seen one in Marin County, CA.

angledhouse.jpg.d2eab29391b8076cd1fa8ddb32d4753f.jpg

NO!  Frank Gehry did stuff like this in the 1990s. This is by an imitator.

concreteraisedhouse.jpg.cbf96abdf4e383a491bc59d9a5eb3831.jpg

This is the house for the big boss in some crime sim. Good firing slits.

House-of-Shapes-designrulz-10.webp

This could work. It was built in 2014, in Iceland. Nice interiors.

future-home-designs-australia-architectu

It's not a houseboat, it just looks like one. This would fit well into a houseboat area.

granito-house-los-angeles-Futuristic-Loo

Tony Stark lived here? This is a concept drawing; nobody actually built this thing. It would work better in SL than RL. Note total lack of guardrails.

instadome.jpg.5964cb333c03a46e81a6c5e059744f77.jpg

Insta-Dome homeless shelters. Only $50L/week?

None of these would make a good suburb. Futuristic suburbs are hard. Striking one-off houses are possible, but several hundred of them would not look good.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/26/2021 at 6:00 AM, Leora Greenwood said:

Wow, I have totally missed the whole Horizons thing and I can see on the map that there are a TON of regions in the group.  Must have arrived during one of my "out-of-SL" periods!  Thanks for all the info, I will take a look when I next get inworld.

Horizons has some nice areas and some hideous areas -- because there are not rules and people can build whatever they want on their parcels. The super nice feature of Horizons is that you get 2x the LI on each parcel 702 instead of 351. It is an adult region but probably less than 10% of the content there is adult. Most people put regular M rated homes out and live there because of the double LI.  I have lived on horizons since 2018 and I rarely have seen people running around nakie or anything ..er.. noticeably adult. I have had a few guys show up "fully erected" and ask me if I am interested in a date... to which I generally ask them to either dress or leave. Think it happened maybe 3 times in over 3 years.. but hey .. happened to me twice on Belliseria homes which i have not lived in for a full year yet. Surprisingly, 2 of the three immediately removed their "tool" and got dressed and stuck around for a bit in a very civilized manner. The third I had to "help" off the property with a ban.

The biggest downside to Horizons is the cost. There are Landlords who go around buying up lots and then immediately list them for sale for substantially more than they paid for them. The prices there are so inflated that it is almost a joke. The houses near mine are selling for like 195,000L to 200,000L each .. who is going to pay over $775.00 real USD for a virtual home?

The cheapest parcels (not as desirable of a lcoatoin) I have seen are generaly over 40,000L and they are rare.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I should mention that I "overpaid" 90,000L to get a west facing coastal parcel adjacent to swim-able ocean back in Feb of 2019. I used earnings from my hair store that I had not cashed out, so it was not as painful as it sounds.  Now the parcels around me are going for 195,000 to 200,000L each .. more than twice what I paid for mine 2.5 years ago. I am shocked at how high the prices have gotten... and yet every now and then, there are actually sales at these inflated prices.

• Like 2

On 8/26/2021 at 8:34 AM, Evangeline Arcadia said:

how come these homes don't appear on the land page, ever. i would like to try one just for fun.

4 hours ago, Teresa Firelight said:

Horizons has some nice areas and some hideous areas -- because there are not rules and people can build whatever they want on their parcels. The super nice feature of Horizons is that you get 2x the LI on each parcel 702 instead of 351. It is an adult region but probably less than 10% of the content there is adult. Most people put regular M rated homes out and live there because of the double LI.  I have lived on horizons since 2018 and I rarely have seen people running around nakie or anything ..er.. noticeably adult. I have had a few guys show up "fully erected" and ask me if I am interested in a date... to which I generally ask them to either dress or leave. Think it happened maybe 3 times in over 3 years.. but hey .. happened to me twice on Belliseria homes which i have not lived in for a full year yet. Surprisingly, 2 of the three immediately removed their "tool" and got dressed and stuck around for a bit in a very civilized manner. The third I had to "help" off the property with a ban.

The biggest downside to Horizons is the cost. There are Landlords who go around buying up lots and then immediately list them for sale for substantially more than they paid for them. The prices there are so inflated that it is almost a joke. The houses near mine are selling for like 195,000L to 200,000L each .. who is going to pay over $775.00 real USD for a virtual home?

The cheapest parcels (not as desirable of a lcoatoin) I have seen are generaly over 40,000L and they are rare.

how do you get to horizons. and get a home there? 

5 hours ago, Teresa Firelight said:

I have had a few guys show up "fully erected" and ask me if I am interested in a date... to which I generally ask them to either dress or leave. Think it happened maybe 3 times in over 3 years.. but hey .. happened to me twice on Belliseria homes which i have not lived in for a full year yet. Surprisingly, 2 of the three immediately removed their "tool" and got dressed and stuck around for a bit in a very civilized manner. The third I had to "help" off the property with a ban.

Never ever ever kick 'em out without taking a picture first.

1413309037_tryingtoohardcensored.thumb.png.3281ce455077f8b1c085af872f4d7b50.png

• Haha 8

4 hours ago, heartzwhim said:

how come these homes don't appear on the land page, ever. i would like to try one just for fun.

As Cinnamon said, the horizon regions are considered Mainland (albeit nicer than the original mainland). You cant get them from the land page, you have to purchase one. There are a bunch of regions in Horizons. The one I live on is called Ophelia.  Here is an SLurl to Ophelia: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Horizons Ophelia/49/147/23

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, heartzwhim said:

how do you get to horizons. and get a home there? 

You might be put off wanting to get a place there if you see how much a plot there costs, there are a couple of regions with demos of the homes one is https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Horizons themis/49/147/23 it will also take you to the Horizons game experience

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

a bit more on Horizons. A few things you should know:

1. Most homes are sold by professional SL land sellers out to make a profit but at times there are ones that people who lived there are selling at cost for assorted reasons, such as premium expiring, not  enough time in SL to merit having SL home, decided to move to Bellisseria, etc.  Sometimes you can find a decent price but even the "decent prices" are higher than what most people are used to paying for mainland.

2. Any given horizons lot is 32x32 and cannot be terra-formed. They cannot be joined but if you own two or more parcels in the same region, the prim allowance is shared between them.

3. You can do things there that you cant do at Bellisseria, such as:

-- derez your linden home so you can put up your own

-- deed to group

-- control parcel access

-- use most security systems with no elevation or warning time rules

-- have more than 2 breedables on your parcel (providing you dont lag out the region)

-- have temporary objects ( like plantpets)

4. While the mole-provided landscaping is tons nicer than mainland, it really doesnt hold a candle to what you see it Bellisseria.. plus people can rez anything they want on their parcels, so there is no protection from out-of-theme or eyesores, etc.

5. It is an adult region (even though most of it doesnt behave adult).

The HUGE advantage of Horizons Mainland is that it has 2x the LI allowance.. you can do a lot of decorating with 702 prims per parcel.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/27/2021 at 7:48 AM, Teresa Firelight said:

It's had moments when it went down.

Before the Pandemic there were a number of Horizons houses that I passed on because I thought $19,000L was too much... oops.

I'm not doing my job right if you've only seen 3 or so naked people over the past few years...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 968 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.