More interesting prim count variance...

Vivienne Daguerre

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4707 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have noticed a few interesting things about linking prims and how the prim count varies.

1. Sculpties when linked to mesh might not count as 1 prim. I had some sculpty logs that had a cost of 1.8 and a prim value of 1. Their physics type was set to Prim. I linked them into my mesh fireplace, and they increased the prim count of the fireplace by 1.8 prims, not 1. When I set the physics type to None (the fireplace was the root prim, not the logs) their cost went to 0!

2. Setting normal and sculpty prim types to None in a linked object also reduces prim count. I thought that was very interesting and rezzed a different cooking hearth I had made of normal prims and sculpties on the main grid. It was one object with 56 prims in it, and the prim count was 56. Just on a whim, I changed the prim type on all the prims except the root prim from Prim to None. My prim count for it dropped from 56 to 28!!

I hope this is not an accidental benefit that goes away as a result of me highlighting it! Ah well, if that is going to happen, it had best be corrected now and not after it goes to the main grid. I can hear the cries of "Run! Run! The peasants are revolting! And they are rising up too!"

In a way I think this is intentional because the "prim cost" largely reflects the physical impact of the prim on the simulator's state (both world presence and physics impact, even when phantom).  Setting to physics type "none" removes the selected objects from the physics simulation entirely where as "phantom" merely removes it from collision checks (as is my understanding from previous discussions).  So having lots of prims that don't affect sim performance is okay.  I imagine before long though a finger will be put in that hole so we don't get giant 400k poly houses over several meshes that cost only as much as the physics representation of the house as a whole.

Or two other failsafe (for the sim) solutions:  Auto-return the new objects which were created (disasterous to say the least for a builder's build) or make them temp objects so they'll be cleaned out after a short while unless they're relinked or taken into someone's inventory.

There is something really odd on the latest mesh servers Mesh Import 11.06.02.231785. A simple cube mesh (12 Triangles) is 1,5/04 there. Used to be 0.5/0.4. The more I link of them together, the lower the costs will be for each cube. 

A more complex mesh (a jerrycan, ~500 Triangles) is 1.5/0.4 on both server versions Mesh PGI 11.05.24.230825 and Mesh Import 11.06.02.231785. If I link 2 of them , it's 3, as expected.

Even a single Plane Mesh (2 Tris) is 1.5/04 on Mesh Import 11.06.02.231785.

Probably we have to wait until we can upload on Mesh Experimental Servers.

DanielRavenNest Noe wrote:

I would not worry too much just yet.  They are in the middle of updating the servers *and* viewer software for the new prim accounting and asset format, so until that is all finished, I would not base any plans on what you are seeing right now.

Yeah, I know. Just wanted to point it out.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4707 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.