Love the Fantasy Regions, but....

Andrea Riverview

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 973 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As much as I enjoy the new Fantasy regions, I keep missing the magic of the night when using the shared environment settings. With this complication called "real life", I just can't be on enough to enjoy that magic. Are there any plans to disconnect that from the shared environment settings, so that we can experience that apart from the few hours that work now?

Again, I love the look of the region, but would love it more if we didn't have to log in a certain times.....

• Thanks 2

as far as I can tell, the schedule is 3 hours of day (no glow) followed by one hour of sunset+night+sunrise (with glow). I am giving times in SLT, the exact minutes ranges a bit depending on what part of the continent you are in, but is basicaly the glow starts at 12:30 (AM and PM), 4:30 (AM and PM) and 8:30 (AM and PM). It turns off around (1:30 AM and PM), 5:30 (AM and PM) and 9:30 AM and PM.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I’m in the same boat. I love the night in the fantasy region. It’s what makes the area so special but the times I can log in to SL mean it’s always daytime. I’ve yet to see my home at night. I’ve put off decorating as I need to see how things look in the night but I’m starting to think it’s time to just give up.

• Like 1

The regions in the Fantasy theme are just running the standard default SL day cycle of 3 hours of daylight and 1 hours of night. That means youre getting 6 SL days in a 24 hour RL period.

This is where people get confused, because the time it is "night" is on a rolling 4 hour cycle, so it wont always line up with what would be normal RL night time hours in LL's timezone.

Remember the time at the top of your viewer is NOT what time it is in SL, it's what time it is at the LL office. The "time" in SL can be checked by going into World-Region details and clicking on the Environment tab. For the default LL day cycle, you'll see the Day length set to 4, the Day Offset set to -8, and under that is the "Apparent time of day" - this is the actual time it is in SL, and generally speaking, night time in SL is between 9pm-3am on the SL day cycle (6 SL hours), which equates to 1 RL hour.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Teresa Firelight said:

as far as I can tell, the schedule is 3 hours of day (no glow) followed by one hour of sunset+night+sunrise (with glow). I am giving times in SLT, the exact minutes ranges a bit depending on what part of the continent you are in, but is basicaly the glow starts at 12:30 (AM and PM), 4:30 (AM and PM) and 8:30 (AM and PM). It turns off around (1:30 AM and PM), 5:30 (AM and PM) and 9:30 AM and PM.

The region where my home is (Elfin Marbles) is at the outlay..gets dark/light 14 minutes later than the earliet. Glow turned on for me today at 8:44. My alt had a region that got dark at 8:32. So there is a bit of variance depending on where your parcel is in the Fantasy Bellisseria continent.

• Like 3

Parcel owners in Belli have the ability to change your parcel's day cycle.  Scripted objects within that parcel will follow whatever day cycle you define.  But that doesn't get you far in Fantasseria, because I think the only bio-luminescence that is on your parcel is on your roof!  If you made your parcel nighttime all the time, your roof would always be glowing, and (for example) the mole fairy lights you got in the Camper Creation pack would be on, even if someone was looking at your parcel from the road.

However, all the willows etc. are on public land, and even if you change your personal EEP to be night all the time, the scripts that control bio-luminescence will follow the day cycle defined for the region.

Yah, it's information but not helpful information.  Sorry.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

If it was night a lot we'd get people complaining that it's dark all the time.

Poor Moles   :(     :)

I'm not asking for dark all the time, Luna. I just wish there was some way to switch on all the magical beauty when I'm in world. We're so used to changing our environment in this world. With things like sleep and work, I only end up with probably two hours of that magic - the 4:30 pm and 8:30 pm. Since I'm Central USA time, that works out to 6:30 pm and 10:30 pm. And those times can be a problem, too. I know, I know -- deal with it. 

• Like 1

I have another thought about this, tho.  You know the two "clumps" of regions now in Belli, 9-region islands that have a mix of trads, campers, and houseboats?  I wonder if LL would be open to creating a Fantasy "clump" where it is always night, to help out folks who cannot make it in during SL night?  @Abnor Mole, maaaayyyyybe?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Andrea Riverview said:
56 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'm not asking for dark all the time, Luna. I just wish there was some way to switch on all the magical beauty when I'm in world. We're so used to changing our environment in this world. With things like sleep and work, I only end up with probably two hours of that magic - the 4:30 pm and 8:30 pm. Since I'm Central USA time, that works out to 6:30 pm and 10:30 pm. And those times can be a problem, too. I know, I know -- deal with it. 

Oh I wasn't saying you did anything wrong by wanting this, or even requesting it.

I'm just basically saying it's so very hard to please everyone    :(

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

I have another thought about this, tho.  You know the two "clumps" of regions now in Belli, 9-region islands that have a mix of trads, campers, and houseboats?  I wonder if LL would be open to creating a Fantasy "clump" where it is always night, to help out folks who cannot make it in during SL night?  @Abnor Mole, maaaayyyyybe?

I like the way you think, Nika. Let's hope our mole friends are listening. But, by the way, I tried setting to midnight on the parcel -- no glowing roof. Darn, it looks so good when it works.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Andrea Riverview said:

I like the way you think, Nika. Let's hope our mole friends are listening. But, by the way, I tried setting to midnight on the parcel -- no glowing roof. Darn, it looks so good when it works.

Well, it's a little more complicated than setting to midnight - I believe you would have to go to the Land Menu, Environment tab and actually change the day cycle so that its nighttime. You have to fool the scripts, not just your viewer :)

I tried, having read the wiki quickly, but really flailed around until I got it.  Not simple, might try Inara Pey's tutorial on EEP

• Like 4

I was just flying over Bellessaria, and the cloud movement as you go from one environment to another is disorienting. That zippy cloud movement when changing environments needs to go.

However, the storm outside the fantasy continent is great!

22 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

That’s what kind of turned me off of the demo regions at first. Everything was way too dark, and I’m a night owl. I finally got a fantasy house, and I seem to be there during daylight hours most of the time. Oh, well. I’ve used @Nika Talaj’s fireflies in all my parcels. Even houseboats, because I love the day cycle. Thank you, Nika! 

• Like 3

I have to say that, when you finally do come to see the transition into night, it's well worth waiting for.

Yesterday I was having fun riding my midnight black alicorn hell for leather down the fantasy regions' roads, and then suddenly the lights began to change and things started to light up.   It really is a wonderful effect,  made even more magical by the element of surprise.

• Like 8

Oh, I'll have to see that.

I did the Drivers of SL drive through there, and the drive directions said use an "amphibious vehicle" for that section. Driving around the fantasy regions in a Larsson Logistics Hydro-Hauler, a heavy-duty amphibious truck,  just felt wrong.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, animats said:

Oh, I'll have to see that.

I did the Drivers of SL drive through there, and the drive directions said use an "amphibious vehicle" for that section. Driving around the fantasy regions in a Larsson Logistics Hydro-Hauler, a heavy-duty amphibious truck,  just felt wrong.

I agree and understand your feeling But its also sort of very SLish and picturing this made my monday morning on the bus a lot more tolerable, Thank you! 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 8/21/2021 at 11:52 AM, Eowyn Southmoor said:

The regions in the Fantasy theme are just running the standard default SL day cycle of 3 hours of daylight and 1 hours of night. That means youre getting 6 SL days in a 24 hour RL period.

This is where people get confused, because the time it is "night" is on a rolling 4 hour cycle, so it wont always line up with what would be normal RL night time hours in LL's timezone.

Remember the time at the top of your viewer is NOT what time it is in SL, it's what time it is at the LL office. The "time" in SL can be checked by going into World-Region details and clicking on the Environment tab. For the default LL day cycle, you'll see the Day length set to 4, the Day Offset set to -8, and under that is the "Apparent time of day" - this is the actual time it is in SL, and generally speaking, night time in SL is between 9pm-3am on the SL day cycle (6 SL hours), which equates to 1 RL hour.

Thanks for that explanation. I've never really understood what they were doing with the time all the years I've been in SL. I know that the SL time itself is on California, i.e. Pacific time, 3 hours earlier than New York or EST where I am. But it seems like hit or miss where I will see "the sun rise" etc at anything like the real time in real life either in New York or California. I tend to keep "Midday" on to see things except when I want to see property lines which show best under Midnight.

So now you've explained why I can never seem to hit my Fantasseria house right to hear my (now) beloved antmunch. It has to be quite dark. If I log on at night my time, I might not actually get its night there, or maybe if I wait long enough. 

Why did LL find it necessary to put 6 SL days into a 24 cycle? Where they trying to somehow accommodate all the time zones of real life so that you would see a sunrise at least sometimes? Or what was their thinking on this?

I don't mind clouds rushing, it dies down in a minute.

• Moles

The nighttime effects are controlled by a box that reads the day/night cycle of the main parcel (i.e. the region default). Changing your parcel EEP won't have any effect because the control box is not on your parcel. It would be fairly easy to have regions with an all night setting. It is just a matter of applying a different EEP to the region. The difficulty in that is we don't have a way to separate those homes from the others on the website so people could knowingly choose that type of home. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

Wouldn’t it be easier for the EEP to be permanently set at night, with the bio-luminescence & if you thought it was too dark you could change your environment to midday? Currently setting it to midnight loses the wonderful effects & some of us never get to see the night effects due to time constraints. I loved the demo area & am sad I never get to see the true beauty of the fantasy area. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tamara Adored said:

Wouldn’t it be easier for the EEP to be permanently set at night, with the bio-luminescence & if you thought it was too dark you could change your environment to midday? Currently setting it to midnight loses the wonderful effects & some of us never get to see the night effects due to time constraints. I loved the demo area & am sad I never get to see the true beauty of the fantasy area. 

Well, then no one would ever see the awesome transition between day and night.  Polenth's solution would work, or making a "clump" where it was always night or maybe had a 1-hour day/night cycle would also work.

• Like 2

On 8/22/2021 at 10:36 PM, Innula Zenovka said:

I have to say that, when you finally do come to see the transition into night, it's well worth waiting for.

Yesterday I was having fun riding my midnight black alicorn hell for leather down the fantasy regions' roads, and then suddenly the lights began to change and things started to light up.   It really is a wonderful effect,  made even more magical by the element of surprise.

I saw it all "switch on" a few days ago, and ithe effect is lovely. It's not all at once, they all flicker on in patches, like the effect is sweeping across the land. 

• Like 7

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 973 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.