Issue: M1 Mac w/ macOS Monterey Beta + Second Life Viewer: Assets do not load

Miles05 Reitveld

Question

I'm on macOS Monterey beta and am finding that, while I can move around, chat with people, do voice chat and play music/media streams, only about 1-5% of objects load in grey, while the land and textures on all objects do not load.

I am on an M1 Mac mini 2020.

This does not appear to matter no matter what combination of network settings I use listed below:

• Primary VPN, NordVPN is turned on or disabled
  • Internet Private Relay (mostly Safari-based anti-tracking feature to mask IP address) is turned on or off
  • default Xfinity Internet-provided DNS or Google's DNS servers.
  • asset and texture caches cleared, changed directory or Second Life clients get reinstalled.

I assume this will be fixed by the time macOS Monterey comes out in a month or two but, I am surprised nobody has talked about macOS beta here with the viewer. As a side note, every viewer I tried (Alchemy, Second Life default viewer, Firestorm) cause this issue. When I tested a Windows 10 and Windows 11 virtual machine with Second Life, assets would load fine, so I know it's not related to my account.

Has anyone had any experience with this

Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 3.07.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 3.08.11 AM.png

6 answers to this question

Man, interesting. It seems clearing all cache and directories, reinstalling macOS Monterey lets me load content for a little bit, but then it stops a bit. I can only think it's an OS issue, Firestorm compatibility or network issue; absolutely everything else works network wise.

On 8/21/2021 at 6:24 PM, MarissaOrloff said:

Don't have this problem on my Intel Mac running Monterey Beta :(

I hope someone can reproduce this for me if they have this device/an M-serires Mac and the current developer or public beta of macOS Monterey. Quite perplexing. And it seems hard to rollback this test machine to macOS Big Sur, the current non-beta OS.

It seems like me changing this particular setting in Firestorm from 0 to 1 might have fixed the issue for me. But the problem is, both Second Life and Firestorm Viewer were giving me the issue. In either case, about 1-2 days after I changed this image decoder concurrency setting from 0 (default) to 1, everything started working again.

So, any M1/M-series users with this issue, try changing that setting! 

Screen Shot 2021-08-27 at 6.30.23 PM.png