Issue: M1 Mac w/ macOS Monterey Beta + Second Life Viewer: Assets do not load

Miles05 Reitveld

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 837 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm on macOS Monterey beta and am finding that, while I can move around, chat with people, do voice chat and play music/media streams, only about 1-5% of objects load in grey, while the land and textures on all objects do not load.

I am on an M1 Mac mini 2020.

This does not appear to matter no matter what combination of network settings I use listed below:

• Primary VPN, NordVPN is turned on or disabled
  • Internet Private Relay (mostly Safari-based anti-tracking feature to mask IP address) is turned on or off
  • default Xfinity Internet-provided DNS or Google's DNS servers.
  • asset and texture caches cleared, changed directory or Second Life clients get reinstalled.

I assume this will be fixed by the time macOS Monterey comes out in a month or two but, I am surprised nobody has talked about macOS beta here with the viewer. As a side note, every viewer I tried (Alchemy, Second Life default viewer, Firestorm) cause this issue. When I tested a Windows 10 and Windows 11 virtual machine with Second Life, assets would load fine, so I know it's not related to my account.

Has anyone had any experience with this

Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 3.07.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 3.08.11 AM.png

7 answers to this question

Man, interesting. It seems clearing all cache and directories, reinstalling macOS Monterey lets me load content for a little bit, but then it stops a bit. I can only think it's an OS issue, Firestorm compatibility or network issue; absolutely everything else works network wise.

On 8/21/2021 at 6:24 PM, MarissaOrloff said:

Don't have this problem on my Intel Mac running Monterey Beta :(

I hope someone can reproduce this for me if they have this device/an M-serires Mac and the current developer or public beta of macOS Monterey. Quite perplexing. And it seems hard to rollback this test machine to macOS Big Sur, the current non-beta OS.

It seems like me changing this particular setting in Firestorm from 0 to 1 might have fixed the issue for me. But the problem is, both Second Life and Firestorm Viewer were giving me the issue. In either case, about 1-2 days after I changed this image decoder concurrency setting from 0 (default) to 1, everything started working again.

So, any M1/M-series users with this issue, try changing that setting! 

Screen Shot 2021-08-27 at 6.30.23 PM.png

I know I'm posting in an old, old thread but I figure this might help someone searching desperately for help with Monterey issues.

Monterey comes with a new feature called Virtual Private Relay. It is designed to hide your IP etc while using Safari but it also messes with your network when in SL. It causes assets not to load, and the only fix is to restart the entire system but the problem quickly returns.

The solution is to turn off VPR (in System Prefs | Apple ID)

The problem is especially bad if you're also using a VPN. Virtual Private Relay is conflicting with VPNs quite widely, from what I can gather.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 837 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.