Let's Talk about A Certain Land Baron Preying on Women

Therese Tammas

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 977 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Listen. I'm not a land baron. And for the record everyone I rented from so far have been dignified and treat everyone with respect.  But I'm hearing of a certain land lord that took over a certain<removed>

Observers, including myself, think that this land baron grooms women, befriends them, and pounces when they smell the slightest weakness and offer their sympathetic help. 

<Removed> were not sold- they were GIVEN- to this land baron. When the previous woman owner deserved a fair price!!! And now I'm hearing this  sim across a pink mountain, with an a tropical island theme, just as nice as this artist's colony,  is owned by them. Instinct tells me the women undersold or gave away the sims too. Men like these operate the same.

I'm not in the land business but I am a mainland observer and land owner, and I'm not happy by what I'm seeing. In fact I'm FURIOUS.No, no, no. 

The women owners of these communities were  taken advantage of. I'm FURIOUS. 

As a community, we should NOT stand for men who prey on women.

Dear sir-  Yes you, you know who you are. Shame on you.

• Therese Tammas changed the title to Let's Talk about A Certain Land Baron Preying on Women

1) You insult these women by insinuating that they do not know what they are doing and that they are so feeble-minded that they can be robbed by the first kind man that comes along. 2) Why is it your business, anyway? These transactions are between the people involved, and if they are happy, that should be the end of it.

Maybe the new owner DID do a favor by immediately taking over a large amount of land (with the accompanying tier cost) quickly because the sellers wanted out quickly? 

I stopped posting on the forums a while back, but I couldn't let this pass, because sheesh.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Therese Tammas said:

<stuff>

I'm hearing

<more stuff>

And now I'm hearing

<more stuff>

You came here to rant about stuff that you are "hearing" about?  And making assumptions & accusations that are totally sexist -- the women being preyed upon..... because they are women -- and the men are doing the preying...... because they are men.

I know nothing about the area or people that you are talking about, but you don't really do your case or cause any justice in the way you tell your tale.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Therese Tammas said:

Listen. I'm not a land baron. And for the record everyone I rented from so far have been dignified and treat everyone with respect.  But I'm hearing of a certain land lord that took over a certain<removed>

Observers, including myself, think that this land baron grooms women, befriends them, and pounces when they smell the slightest weakness and offer their sympathetic help. 

This popular artist's colony sims, 6 sims in total, Scottish themed were not sold- they were GIVEN- to this land baron. When the previous woman owner deserved a fair price!!! And now I'm hearing this  sim across a pink mountain, with an a tropical island theme, just as nice as this artist's colony,  is owned by them. Instinct tells me the women undersold or gave away the sims too. Men like these operate the same.

I'm not in the land business but I am a mainland observer and land owner, and I'm not happy by what I'm seeing. In fact I'm FURIOUS.No, no, no. 

The women owners of these communities were  taken advantage of. I'm FURIOUS. 

As a community, we should NOT stand for men who prey on women.

Dear sir-  Yes you, you know who you are. Shame on you.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e471pzll9ewizgfqt0tyy

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

1) You insult these women by insinuating that they do not know what they are doing and that they are so feeble-minded that they can be robbed by the first kind man that comes along. 2) Why is it your business, anyway? These transactions are between the people involved, and if they are happy, that should be the end of it.

Maybe the new owner DID do a favor by immediately taking over a large amount of land (with the accompanying tier cost) quickly because the sellers wanted out quickly? 

I stopped posting on the forums a while back, but I couldn't let this pass, because sheesh.

Oh, I was wondering what happened to you. 

I don't have any real facts of any merit to present to this discussion other than to say that sometimes, when it seems as if there is a pattern, and serial events, people in this small world come to conclusions, and sometimes they are right. 

But sometimes a thing can have another explanation. Someone who seemed to be an owner could be only a landscaper. Someone who seemed to be a girlfriend tossed aside, her land stolen, could be an alt. So many things are possible.

For example, sometimes people can layer on crazy allegation after crazy agit-prop to imagine some rentals agent is the only person holding up some grand Linden RR project on a sim, and that (conversely) they must be either favoured by the Lindens (because the Lindens "gave them land") or the Lindens must "run scared" from them (because the Lindens still haven't "seized" the land). Of course, there can be more mundane reasons, or more complex reasons.

One thing is assured: you cannot get justice on the forums. Because unlike a real free country, you have no independent press, no means of naming names with investigative journalism, no independent judiciary to examine the allegations etc. So you have to put it on blogs and social media and hope that eventually you will arrive at the truth of the situation.

SL is always a smaller world than we realize. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Therese Tammas said:

<<inserting inane unsubstantiated gossip>>

The only two people who know why those lands were sold are the seller and the buyer. No one else. It's a private business transaction and none of your business. You sound like a whiny nosy Karen. 

About a month or so ago there were six regions on the Blake sea that were put up for auction which I was one of the bidders for. These regions are northwest of Nautilus. I don't know if they were abandoned regions or if they were private auctions on SL's website (I think at the time though private auctions were not available. Not 100% sure of that). If those are the regions you are talking about they were put on the open market for bidding by the public.

Edited by MarissaOrloff
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, MarissaOrloff said:

The only two people who know why those lands were sold are the seller and the buyer. No one else. It's a private business transaction and none of your business. You sound like a whiny nosy Karen. 

About a month or so ago there were six regions on the Blake sea that were put up for auction which I was one of the bidders for. These regions are northwest of Nautilus. I don't know if they were abandoned regions or if they were private auctions on SL's website (I think at the time though private auctions were not available. Not 100% sure of that). If those are the regions you are talking about they were put on the open market for bidding by the public.

I think our world was better when auction winners and bidders had their names publicly known on the web site. It wasn't exactly a proper deed office. But it was something. It prevented the legion of land baron alts from appearing on the auction and bidding up every single auction just to keep value high, even if they didn't buy it in the end. People make only so many alts with premium and trading tier. So any land baron who kept doing that endlessly, and visible in world, would be curbed in playing that game. Now they are not.

So I don't buy the idea that "every transaction is private" and the Lindens "must" protect the privacy of legions of land baron alts and hapless auction bidders. Why? That doesn't make for a better world. They used to understand that. They literally put in another kind of software from the ebay guy back in the day, and lost that vital transparency what made for a better world, and did it without even realizing because it just wasn't important to them.

There are no private auctions. Those sims went on the regular auctions, we all saw them. And it's more than fine to watch the auctions and see what's what with them, the prices, the new owners, the flipping, so people can understand whether the world is degrading or improving.

The issue of controversy comes here regarding the nature of how the land got seized. Was the person sick or did they die? How could anybody be losing money on a Blake Sea sim and not be able to pay tier? Etc. And that's not just being a Nosy Parker or a Karen, it's about wanting to understand whether we live under the the rule of law in any way, shape or fashion. We all know we don't. But yet there are certain norms that have developed over time that are a kind of soft law, and then there is the code-as-law of the tools, and the automatic billing systems, and the automatic deadlines that kick in for land to be seized, etc.

And no, that's not only what this is about, these Nautilus sims or those other mainland sims or yet other cases people know about. But I can't underscore enough: our ability to investigate these matters is really limited. The Lindens close any thread that names names, and ones like this where immediately there is a pack running to defend the purported outlaw in question gets closed too. 

There is a very wide variety of women in SL. In fact, the variety is so wide that some of them are men in RL, imagine. And there are many different countries, occupations, levels of experience, age, etc. So don't assume that everyone is a white woman in a wealthy first world country like the US, schooled in feminism and prosecuting things like the Cuomo case in both media and through official investigations. Not every woman is bulletproof against exploitation and it is not an insult to have concern about this.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I think our world was better when auction winners and bidders had their names publicly known on the web site. It wasn't exactly a proper deed office. But it was something. It prevented the legion of land baron alts from appearing on the auction and bidding up every single auction just to keep value high, even if they didn't buy it in the end. People make only so many alts with premium and trading tier. So any land baron who kept doing that endlessly, and visible in world, would be curbed in playing that game. Now they are not.

There are no private auctions. Those sims went on the regular auctions, we all saw them.

The issue of controversy comes here regarding the nature of how the land got seized. Was the person sick or did they die? How could anybody be losing money on a Blake Sea sim and not be able to pay tier? Etc. And that's not just being a Nosy Parker or a Karen, it's about wanting to understand whether we live on the the rule of law in any way, shape or fashion. We all know we don't. But yet there are certain norms that have developed over time that are a kind of soft law, and then there is the code-as-law of the tools, and the automatic billing systems, and the automatic deadlines that kick in for land to be seized, etc.

And no, that's not only what this is about. But I can't underscore enough: our ability to investigate these matters is really limited. The Lindens close any thread that names names, and ones like this where immediately there is a pack running to defend the purported outlaw in question gets closed too. 

There is a very wide variety of women in SL. In fact, the variety is so wide that some of them are men in RL, imagine. And there are many different countries, occupations, levels of experience, age, etc. So don't assume that everyone is a white woman in a wealthy first world country like the US, schooled in feminism and prosecuting things like the Cuomo case in both media and through official investigations. Not every woman is bulletproof against exploitation and it is not an insult to have concern about this.

If you own 6 regions no matter where they are and are no longer able to pay ($1,074 USD) abandoning these regions is sometimes your only regrettable choice. Speculation as to why is just gossip.

What this sounds like to me is someone who lost an area they liked to be in and is now irate that it is gone. 

...I would have loved to got my hands on one of them but they sold at auction for what I think was above retail and resale price then stopped bidding.

Edited by MarissaOrloff
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MarissaOrloff said:

If you own 6 regions no matter where they are and are no longer able to pay ($1,074 USD) abandoning these regions is sometimes your only regrettable choice. Speculation as to why is just gossip.

What this sounds like to me is someone who lost an area they liked to be in and is now irate that it is gone. 

Um, no, not if they are dead? Or so sick they can't manage their business. And have you looked at the map lately? Plenty of rentals in Blake! And not even expensive ones. It's SALES that are hard to get because the prices are so insane. That is changing now, and probably some people don't like it, but it's still valued.

So no, your theory is totally wrong but it doesn't matter. No one can investigate this to the satisfaction of the OP. whose concerns were legitimate even if lacking in factual back-up, or you, with automatic antagonism.

Edited by Prokofy Neva

3 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Um, no, not if they are dead? Or so sick they can't manage their business. And have you looked at the map lately? Plenty of rentals in Blake! And not even expensive ones. It's SALES that are hard to get because the prices are so insane. That is changing now, and probably some people don't like it, but it's still valued.

So no, your theory is totally wrong but it doesn't matter. No one can investigate this to the satisfaction of the OP. whose concerns were legitimate even if lacking in factual back-up, or you, with automatic antagonism.

What it boils down to is people shouldn't "publicly" speculate on private business transactions. Especially when a person is making libelous accusations. Stay out of it. It's none of anyone's business.

Edited by MarissaOrloff
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, MarissaOrloff said:

What it boils down to is people shouldn't "publicly" speculate on private business transactions. Especially when a person is making libelous accusations. Stay out of it. It's none of anyone's business.

I wouldn't have any grounds to accept the rules and norms you make about such situations whatsoever.

Business transactions involving land are not "private". Fortunately, the Lindens still show ownership and claim date, and that's helpful in assessing what is happening in our little pond.

But it doesn't matter.

One cannot get justice on the forums. One can always try. But it can and should be sought elsewhere.

1 minute ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I wouldn't have any grounds to accept the rules and norms you make about such situations whatsoever.

Business transactions involving land are not "private". Fortunately, the Lindens still show ownership and claim date, and that's helpful in assessing what is happening in our little pond.

But it doesn't matter.

One cannot get justice on the forums. One can always try. But it can and should be sought elsewhere.

Have some tact. Stay out of peoples private transactions. It's private until the buyer and seller wish to make it public. Stop being a nosy Karen. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MarissaOrloff said:

Have some tact. Stay out of peoples private transactions. It's private until the buyer and seller wish to make it public. Stop being a nosy Karen. 

1) all land transactions are ultimately public as they show new owners or groups with an owner and a claim date. The end.

2) not everyone wants to be a slave.

3) As I pointed out, I personally don't have enough information on any of these situations, as a bystander, to make a judgement about them, but I am outlying certain principles at stake. If you don't share my principles, well, welcome to SL where anybody gets to have any ideology but everyone has to pay tier when the date comes. The end.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Prokofy Neva said:

1) all land transactions are ultimately public as they show new owners or groups with an owner and a claim date. The end.

But that does not mean the community needs to why it was sold. What you are saying is absolute and utter nonsense. You don't have all the facts and if you don't have them. Do not speculate. That is really low class behavior. You really should be ashamed of yourself for thinking you need to butt in to other people business.

• Like 1

• Administrators

I'm going to go ahead and close this since the forums are not an appropriate place for this discussion. If you have an issue with another Resident (or region, club, group of Residents, etc) we ask that you do not bring this to the forums, as it not the place to air all that out.

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 977 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.