Can we have a political sub forum?

Janet Voxel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 975 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

So what? 3th time now i'm saying this. That is what moderators are for to enforce set rules. I'm saying like OP said, The political topics do pop up in general, so why not have its own subforum.

I do not think that LL has staff dedicated to do nothing except moderate these forums. If there was a politics sub-forum, they would need a few full time moderators, preferably working around the clock, because there would be far more sh*t-storms that there already are.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Actually, the truth -- or MY truth anyway -- is that there is far more political arguing already happening everywhere I turn in RL. 

ANY TIME politics get pulled in to a discussion here in the forums, it ALWAYS turns in to a cat-fight.  We just really do not need that much animosity constantly going on around here.

There is truth only. That MY truth BS is for people who don't live in reality. Just say no. Don't do it. lol Not a jab. Just a clarification. Sorry. I'm just messing around. Pet peeve. Moving on. lol👍

All jokes a side. I don't disagree with you. I really don't. You'd be on the side of people I said who don't really want to deal with that nonsense. I honestly do not blame you one bit. The reality is the animosity is already constantly going on around here. When I originally advocated for it I thought to myself maybe if it's confined the rest of the forums wouldn't be so bad. After reading what you and some others said I reconsidered my position and thought to myself your probably right. It'd turn in to one big poop show anyway so why bother really? lol So I'm just meh about it and that's just sort of my attitude about it right now.😎

I think a political sub fourm would be helpful. There's a very useful saying that the personal is political. Second life is very personal to each individual so of course politics will spill over in here.  Trying to  shove it somewhere else isn't working. It may never well work because what is deemed  "political" to one person is very personal and  relevant both to second life and  the first life of said person.

So it would be a good direct action to section it off to it's own little corner so those that want to avoid it,, which there seems to be quite a few, can.  While those that want to discuss those issues and how they effect second life can. Of course people will people.   The Lab needs more moderators regardless of what action they take. But it's clear that political talking isn't going to go away. Even if they did try to ban it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Robin Kiyori said:

I think a political sub fourm would be helpful. There's a very useful saying that the personal is political. Second life is very personal to each individual so of course politics will spill over in here.  Trying to  shove it somewhere else isn't working. It may never well work because what is deemed  "political" to one person is very personal and  relevant both to second life and  the first life of said person.

So it would be a good direct action to section it off to it's own little corner so those that want to avoid it,, which there seems to be quite a few, can.  While those that want to discuss those issues and how they effect second life can. Of course people will people.   The Lab needs more moderators regardless of what action they take. But it's clear that political talking isn't going to go away. Even if they did try to ban it.

This is exactly what i was saying. I just hope the angry mob isn't going to jump on you now Robin.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Unless LL has enabled the feature very recently, you can't ignore threads on this forum. Makes no sense to me why they don't enable it.

this^^

i would really like a way to block subforums that I no interest in from showing up when I press the Unread posts button

i know I can follow all the threads I am interested in and then filter but is all pretty tedious to do it this way

how to have a political discussion (or any kind) with others:

1. learn to be silent when others speak

2. Learn to listen

3. Learn to be silent when others speak

3. analyze / understand what others say

4.learn to be silent when others speak

5. Express your opinion based on facts and not on feelings

6. Did I mention to learn to be silent?

In my youth, I used to teach children these things at school.Funny the discussions on this forum remind me of those good old days ...Lots of kids bustling around here

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Velk Kerang said:

I know, right? lol Poor @Janet Voxel. lol Either laughing or probably wishing she hadn't even started this thread.

I don’t feel any way about it to be honest. Because 1) I’m on vacation and I’m having an amazing time 2) it went exactly like I thought it would. A bunch of reactions to the thread title without addressing the content and then all downhill from there. Shout out to the people that decided to go against the grain.

See here’s the thing: people like it the way it is because when it’s in general: Everybody can see it, everybody can respond. If it’s in its own sub forum people are less likely to respond. The thing is it only applies if it’s personal to them. If not, it’s a derail, cat pictures, report and an eventual lock. That’s fine when it’s something they don’t want to talk about.

Everything people are saying, I’ve already addressed: it’ll make the forum worse (no it won’t, it’ll make it better because there would be less derail of things that are important to people), people can’t even have a civil discussion about gatcha (so what would change except politically divisive threads would be less visible? How is that a bad thing?), there should be no political discussion (but there already is and they’re not going to stop, something should be done), it’s going to require more moderation (no it won’t because, I proposed thread splits and a proper place for those type of threads and even proposed the entire sub forum to be opt in). 

Everything people are saying I’ve offered a possible solution for. So I really don’t feel bad about them being ignored or even expecting it to happen. What people are basically saying is they don’t trust other people, but also they don’t trust themselves. 

That’s fair I guess and really not a surprise to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Janet Voxel said:

it’ll make the forum worse (no it won’t, it’ll make it better because there would be less derail of things that are important to people),

Everything is political.

E V E R Y T H I N G

The current rules against politics prohibits people saying the quiet parts out loud, nothing more.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

it’ll make the forum worse (no it won’t, it’ll make it better because there would be less derail of things that are important to people)

In YOUR opinion.  Whether or not the forum is better or worse is a totally subjective thing.  

36 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

it’s going to require more moderation (no it won’t because, I proposed thread splits and a proper place for those type of threads and even proposed the entire sub forum to be opt in). 

Even for the people that want to discuss politics, it will result in cat-fights, people getting into one-on-one tangent arguments, name calling, etc...   Since all of the current political discussions result in that, there is no reason at all to think that putting it in a separate location would be any different.  It will just result in more political discussions/threads -- and more threads mean more moderation.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

They don't really moderate what is already in place so either way, it won't make any difference in moderation. LL isn't going to hire more people and they probably are not open to the idea of adding even more of a workload on those they already employ. It's really just a question of should it have it's own little corner where those who don't want to look don't have to or let it continue as is out in the open where the thread title doesn't indicate the direction the thread went. People are still going to notice the lack of moderation on weekends and take advantage of it. That isn't going to change. But those who don't want to see are less likely to be subject to it if it has it's own little corner to sit in. Might not be much of a gain but it certainly isn't a loss. Can't lose what was never there.

5 hours ago, Janet Voxel said:

(but there already is and they’re not going to stop, something should be done)

And you know what to do when they cannot stop, because nothing will be done about it and all you can do is to keep ignoring it the best you can. People are people, aren't we ?

I mean an extra subforum on any topic will not change that either nor will it divert perpetrators diverting threads to their own cause.

10 hours ago, Janet Voxel said:

I don’t feel any way about it to be honest. Because 1) I’m on vacation and I’m having an amazing time 2) it went exactly like I thought it would. A bunch of reactions to the thread title without addressing the content and then all downhill from there. Shout out to the people that decided to go against the grain.

See here’s the thing: people like it the way it is because when it’s in general: Everybody can see it, everybody can respond. If it’s in its own sub forum people are less likely to respond. The thing is it only applies if it’s personal to them. If not, it’s a derail, cat pictures, report and an eventual lock. That’s fine when it’s something they don’t want to talk about.

Everything people are saying, I’ve already addressed: it’ll make the forum worse (no it won’t, it’ll make it better because there would be less derail of things that are important to people), people can’t even have a civil discussion about gatcha (so what would change except politically divisive threads would be less visible? How is that a bad thing?), there should be no political discussion (but there already is and they’re not going to stop, something should be done), it’s going to require more moderation (no it won’t because, I proposed thread splits and a proper place for those type of threads and even proposed the entire sub forum to be opt in). 

Everything people are saying I’ve offered a possible solution for. So I really don’t feel bad about them being ignored or even expecting it to happen. What people are basically saying is they don’t trust other people, but also they don’t trust themselves. 

That’s fair I guess and really not a surprise to me.

Oh I think it's a good idea actually. I don't disagree with you. This is just one of those situations where I can see both sides of the coin on it. It's sort of why I am indifferent to it after having read what everyone else had to say on it. Anyway I'm glad your having an amazing time and I hope you and the family enjoy the rest of your vacation. Stay safe and stay blessed mate.👍😎

• Like 1

Lol no. As long as everyone has the "I'm right, no matter what" stance that cannot be shaken, political discussions are moot, because they end in NOTHING but fighting. Everytime.  That is not something only in this forum, that's happenening with political discussions in general. Because people only argue AT people, not with them. 

Guilty of it as well, of course.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 975 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.