Skin and Faces

Wesli97

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4397 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey Guys,

I'm having a really hard time trying to find pretty skins and faces that aren't demos. I don't have that much money so I can't just splurge on the first on I see. I've been looking to see if I can find some really cheap onces but most are just components like makeup.  Do you have any suggestions?

Wesli

Hi Wesli,  That is really the purpose behind demos.  They are usually L$0 (sometimes L$1) and you usually get a huge pack to try.  What I do is pick up demos that appeal to me, wear them around my home for a few days to see if I like them and if they fit my shape.  It usually takes me awhile to make skin decisions because I become fond of what I have but I refresh it with something new every 6 months to 1 year.

With shape, since you can really make your own, get the demo skin and then play with your shape to fit it. Generally it may need some tweaking around the nose or mouth.

Above all, have fun!

Hello Wesli. For me don't spend many lindens in your first steps in SL. Try cheap skins and play with the shapes you can get almost free, as already mentioned, and if later you consider that you need something better, you can search and find unlimited products at Marketplace and in world also. A good idea is maybe a combination with a skin and body oil if you like it. Sometimes a good body oil limits the defects of a middle or poor quality skin. In addition you can find some great suggestions about how you can create a very good avatar with few lindens at the following thread:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Fashion/I-m-Cheap-And-Easy/m-p/893145/highlight/true#M1533

Have fun and enjoy your Second Life!

Yes there are several very pretty skins (for women - I hope people asking for shopping help will remember to say what they want their av to look like - male, female etc.) in 60L weekend sale this weekend.

http://picasaweb.google.com/60LindenSunday/Official60LPhotos#

Do you know how to use a SLurl? Have Second Life open, click the SLurl and it will give you a teleport link. The page I gave here has the picture of what's on sale with a SLurl under the picture.

If you mean "shapes" by "faces" I know a place, type Free Shapes and it's in Dallows.  I don't have a SLurl right now because I keep crashing...

What ethnicity and gender are the first questions to answer before going too far.

Search for skin shops inworld and on marketplace and try out a good 10-20 demos...

Once you've got a huge selection of demos go somewhere isolated enough that you can sit there and change between them and narrow it down.

Then put aside 1000L, and buy one. That's about $3.80US. You can afford that, or you wouldn't be able to afford being in SL. I just spent more than that on my latte on the way home from church today...

Here's about the budget to be a fully tricked out SL user, on the low end, smartly planned:

300-1000L: skin (the second best skin I've ever bought cost 300L for a male 'fashion alt' I set up to model male clothes once I get there - and caused me to go back and buy some female skins from the same maker for an alt. The best skin I ever bought cost 1000L - the worst skin I ever bought cost 1200L).

500L: quality AO on the cheap (the sim 'Anime' (on map, not search - that's the sim name not shop name) is full of these, and the vendors have LMs to their mainstores).

Hair: 200L - I've never paid more for a hair, and I've bought some great ones. You only need 1 if you window shop carefully. For the past 12 months I've only worn 2 of mine - one for when I go neko and one that fits my furry but looks a lot like my neko one, both made by Jonah Dreads but he only works if you want dreadlocks. Before I found him I still had no trouble buying under 200L and can help with LMs if needed).

Clothes: 5-outfits for 400-750L. Go to Bare Rose and Lavish Style to easily stay in the range of under 150L per outfit. If you want reggae hit my shop - which launched reggae clothes last night ( but I'm new to making clothes ;) ). There are -MANY- low cost clothing makers in SL. The trick is that they don't tend to be listed first in marketplace, and their adverts often don't look as polished (with the exception of Bare Rose - she makes a RL income by being the Macy's of Second Life).

Shoes: 1 pair for 150L. Hit some chairs for 2-3 more freebies if you need them. Unlike RL your avatar's shoes are not connected to the nerves in your brain that are right next to the nerve center that controls female orgasms, so you don't need as many of them. :D

So that's... 2700L. In US dollars... $10.38. Do that and you're done shopping in SL for 'necessities' - the rest is just polishing. I don't believe there is anyone in SL that can't afford that. Its just that people need to convince themselves they can. Do it once and do it right, and you can then exists on freebies and just playing with friends for the rest of your time in SL, buying things only as desired. Merchants will hate hearing that, but its true.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4397 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.