I have a product that I created that I would like checked out to be sure that I'm within the TOS.

Cash Scarmon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4708 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

2 answers to this question

Here's the most important part of the TOS, as far as this question is concerned .......

"7.1 You retain any and all Intellectual Property Rights in Content you submit to the Service.

You retain any and all Intellectual Property Rights you already hold under applicable law in Content you upload, publish, and submit to or through the Servers, Websites, and other areas of the Service, subject to the rights, licenses, and other terms of this Agreement, including any underlying rights of other users or Linden Lab in Content that you may use or modify.

In connection with Content you upload, publish, or submit to any part of the Service, you affirm, represent, and warrant that you own or have all necessary Intellectual Property Rights, licenses, consents, and permissions to use and authorize Linden Lab and users of Second Life to use the Content in the manner contemplated by the Service and these Terms of Service.

Because the law may or may not recognize certain Intellectual Property Rights in any particular Content, you should consult a lawyer if you want legal advice regarding your legal rights in a specific situation. You acknowledge and agree that you are responsible for knowing, protecting, and enforcing any Intellectual Property Rights you hold, and that Linden Lab cannot do so on your behalf."

This is just as purposefully vague as it is in RL, and just as important to understand. Basically, if you create something, it is yours. If you try to market it, you are responsible for being sure that it really is your work, not someone else's creation that you have copied. If that's not the case, the real creator can file a DCMA complaint and LL will be obliged to remove your product while they investigate. If they find that you were dishonest, you will be banned and you may be subject to legal penalties in RL. Scary stuff, maybe, but it's just the sort of protection that you'll want to have against someone else copying your work too.

Good luck with your creative work, Cash. That's the part of SL that I enjoy most, myself.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4708 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.