The new VP of engineering at Linden Lab

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 70 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Nearly 30 years in game and 3D related fields and companies, starting with Microsoft working on Direct X in 1993.  Maybe he can finally figure out if SL is a game or a social experience?   His Linked in resume for LL:  "Innovating on the original meta-verse"

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Nearly 30 years in game and 3D related fields and companies, starting with Microsoft working on Direct X in 1993.  Maybe he can finally figure out if SL is a game or a social experience?   His Linked in resume for LL:  "Innovating on the original meta-verse"

He can better focus on the still existing problems and flaws of SL and innovate from there. (How about state of the art inworld builders tools?)
Whether it is a game or a platform is not really relevant IMHO.

I don't give much about public resumes, they are little more than advertising. One never reads failed at... or made a mess of ....
Let's hope he will give some great new impulses to the 18 years old dinosaur called SL.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I don't give much about public resumes, they are little more than advertising. One never reads failed at... or made a mess of ....

Sid will write your resume for you, and be brutally honest... Guaranteed to keep you unemployed forever. :)

Andrew has a wide range of gaming and management experience.  I expect as Engineering VP he will concentrate on improving some performance issues in SL.  But I doubt he is going to worry about keeping SL software compatible with 10 year old laptops on dial up lines.

He said he started at LL on August 1st,  and he is now listed in the LL About web page along with his background.  If he is new to SL, he's still probably struggling to figure out the SL Viewer, and where all the shortcut keys are.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Thanks 1

Well if you never ended up with a box on your head, you are not experienced enough with the platform to work properly for it.
😁

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Well if you never ended up with a box on your head, you are not experienced enough with the platform to work properly for it.
😁

I once had the displeasure of being asked to interview engineers for two openings at a company I worked for (I suspect the company president liked the idea of a girl interviewing boys). In each interview I asked candidates to tell me of the biggest failure they'd experienced, professional or otherwise. If they couldn't detail one, I didn't recommend them. Correctly or not, I reasoned that they'd either never taken risks, or had no experience to guide them when their luck eventually runs out.

• Like 7

The Linden that told me about SL back in the 15th century did engineering of some kind. When he came to my former night club in the mod 2000s we would talk computers and he said "This company I work for I have crashed out more then once some test servers."

Before we moved out of the US, we had a night club in South San Francisco, which was short freeway trip from the Lab's offices.

1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

In each interview I asked candidates to tell me of the biggest failure they'd experienced, professional or otherwise. If they couldn't detail one, I didn't recommend them. Correctly or not, I reasoned that they'd either never taken risks, or had no experience to guide them when their luck eventually runs out.

I have listened to more commencement addresses than I care to count. They're always full of rosy "go get 'em" advice for new grads. The best one I ever heard, though, said, "Remember, if you are not failing occasionally, you are not trying hard enough and are not living up to your potential.  Take on tasks that are challenging, where you have to stretch.  Graduates, get out there and fail!"  

• Like 8

Hmmm... 17 years at MS, 6 at IGT, 2 at DoubleDown, and a little over a year at each of the last 2 positions. And the descriptions gets shorter as well. This is the point where I want to start jumping up and down, waving my arms and screaming ,"Pull up! PULL UP! You're gonna crash!". Too late. He crashed into LL.  That's what happens when you forget your parachute.

1ek8is.jpg

Good luck, Andrew. I think you're going to need it. 🤭🤫

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Well, this explains everything, doesn't it?

;-).

57 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Before we moved out of the US, we had a night club in South San Francisco, which was short freeway trip from the Lab's offices.

Why, yes. Yes, it does! 🤭

39 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Hmmm... 17 years at MS, 6 at IGT, 2 at DoubleDown, and a little over a year at each of the last 2 positions. And the descriptions gets shorter as well.

That's a pretty normal pattern for someone rising into administration over a long career: a long stretch in the trenches followed by quick hops through management and lower executive positions.  The VP chair tends to be the big seat at the top for all but a few who end up as CEOs.

Edited by Rolig Loon
typos. as always.
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

That's a pretty normal pattern for someone rising into administration over a long career: a long stretch in the trenches followed by quick hops through management and lower executive positions.  The VP chair tends to be the big seat at the top for all but a few who end up as CEOs.

Yes, I know.

Why-so-serious.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I once had the displeasure of being asked to interview engineers for two openings at a company I worked for (I suspect the company president liked the idea of a girl interviewing boys). In each interview I asked candidates to tell me of the biggest failure they'd experienced, professional or otherwise. If they couldn't detail one, I didn't recommend them. Correctly or not, I reasoned that they'd either never taken risks, or had no experience to guide them when their luck eventually runs out.

In the TV series Billions, some job candidates were given a piece of cardboard with various fold lines and told to "put the box together".  It wouldn't really make a box, but the interviewer was looking for the person with enough guts to actually say that "it could not be done" instead of the candidates continuing for long periods the futile effort of trying to make a box out of the cardboard piece.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

In the TV series Billions, some job candidates were given a piece of cardboard with various fold lines and told to "put the box together".  It wouldn't really make a box, but the interviewer was looking for the person with enough guts to actually say that "it could not be done" instead of the candidates continuing for long periods the futile effort of trying to make a box out of the cardboard piece.

I didn't mention that one of the candidates I interviewed was a fella who'd interviewed me when I was looking for a co-op job during the summer between junior and senior years in engineering school. One of the "exercises" he gave me was to design a simple voltage regulator. Within seconds, I drew a circuit containing one part with only three terminals, a voltage regulator chip. Such chips were cheaper and better than any solution you could roll on your own. He frowned. He wanted me to design a voltage regulator from scratch, which I could do, if it made sense to do so. I told him that would be a waste of time, money, and intellectual effort and proceeded to design something more complicated, for which there was no off-the-shelf one piece solution. It was too late, I'd peeved him.

I probably don't have to tell you he didn't get my recommendation when the roles were reversed.

Hell hath no fury...

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 70 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.