Firestorm Shuts my laptop's screen.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 974 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've used this laptop before with no issues, but now it's been clean installed with windows 10, and at a random time, my screen just shuts down but my laptop is running, that happens with other viewers too. I have no clue what's the issue, i've downloaded the latest drivers for everything. I'm really lost at what to do. 

• CPU. Intel Core i7-4720HQ 242.
  • GPU. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M (4GB GDDR5) 111.
  • Display. 15.6”, Full HD (1920 x 1080), IPS.
  • HDD/SSD. 1TB HDD, 7200 rpm.
  • RAM. 16GB DDR3.
  • OS. Windows OS.
  • Battery. 52Wh, Li-Po, 6-cell.

*edit my whole laptop shuts down, and I know everyone will say heating problems, it's possible, just no clue what to do about it, I am using an external fan and it heats as it always have, but never shut down before. I've used blender, zbrush, photoshop, played heavy games, never had this issue before....

36 minutes ago, Ardentika said:

*edit my whole laptop shuts down, and I know everyone will say heating problems, it's possible, just no clue what to do about it, I am using an external fan and it heats as it always have, but never shut down before. I've used blender, zbrush, photoshop, played heavy games, never had this issue before....

I had this happen on 2 previous laptops and both times it was the fan and air circulation.  Do you clean your air vents regularly?  Pets, dust, smoke can all gum up the works.  Even if you have an external fan running, what your interior fan does can effect whether the laptop shuts down or not.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

I had this happen on 2 previous laptops and both times it was the fan and air circulation.  Do you clean your air vents regularly?  Pets, dust, smoke can all gum up the works.  Even if you have an external fan running, what your interior fan does can effect whether the laptop shuts down or not.

I'm just going to drop it off for a clean and cooling paste and we will keep you updated! I hope it solves the issue

21 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Well, I got it re-installed and cleaned with a cooling paste, it's not overheating and it happened again. So it's not the laptop. 

17 minutes ago, Ardentika said:

Well, I got it re-installed and cleaned with a cooling paste, it's not overheating and it happened again. So it's not the laptop. 

Are you going idle for long periods of time or closing the laptop lid? Try going to Power and Sleep settings and turn off sleep and choose "do nothing when laptop lid is closed". Those will be found in advanced settings.

@Ardentika:  Are you sure that the viewer is using your main dedicated graphics card, look iin "Help">About Firestorm.  In that list you should see which Graphics card is being used, ie the onboard from the CPU which is not good for SL or the Nvidia card which is adequate.

There is a software on most, if not all laptops which will force an application to use the dedicated GPU, but right now I cannot recall its name.

Edited by Aishagain

I will keep these things in mind and will check but I think I found a solution. 

I switched compatibility mode to Windows 8, and managed to go 2-3h without a crash, so I think that fixed it.. There seems to be some bad communication with Widnows 10 it seems... 

And for the record, I tried Black Dragon viewer, same thing happened. It was Second life in general, not the viewer it seems. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 974 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.