Question about linden homes farm

Vixey Eberdene

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 972 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, I searched forum for similar question, but couldn’t find any, so here it is: Linden Home covenant forbids large scale breedable farms. Few days ago I notice suspiciously crowded linden home parcel - about 10 people at one place. I found out, that owner of the house uses it as a skybox avatar farm, with dozens of interactive harvesting machines, some kind of server terminal, and vendor, probably for earned points, while house itself is basically empty.

I think it’s not ok, but covenant rules doesn’t forbid farms of objects extracting resource from avatar, nor forbid skyboxes at high altitudes. So my question is: is it legal to have such farm at linden home parcel?

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, Elena Core said:

You can always report the machines inworld, or file an AR via the Support page. That way, LL can take a look and decide what to do.

I was going to recommend the same thing. I am pretty certain that LL will make the farm go poof because this is clearly NOT the intended use of Linden Homes.

• Like 2

When you see something that to you looks like it is most likely a violation of the covenant the best response is to quietly file a report and not contact the person nor call it out in groups. As in, don't "stir the drama pot". If it is a violation, the lindens will get to it in time, and if not, they won't. Note that the staff that responds to those things is a very small team so response time can be anything from instant to a week or more depending on how much 'stuffz' is going on right then...

That said, if you DO decide to go posting up about it to everyone, the response time could get delayed if the drama pot gets stirred and the team finds itself having to sort through dozens to hundreds of reports, most of which are "so an so was mean to me."

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

A breedable is a breedable regardless of whether it's a cat, cow, plant or machine. It's the scripts for eating/breeding that make it a breedable, not the appearance of the pet. You can see those cows are breedables as they're displaying stats, breeding status and have food items rezzed.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/18/2021 at 11:28 AM, Vixey Eberdene said:

Hello, I searched forum for similar question, but couldn’t find any, so here it is: Linden Home covenant forbids large scale breedable farms. Few days ago I notice suspiciously crowded linden home parcel - about 10 people at one place. I found out, that owner of the house uses it as a skybox avatar farm, with dozens of interactive harvesting machines, some kind of server terminal, and vendor, probably for earned points, while house itself is basically empty.

I think it’s not ok, but covenant rules doesn’t forbid farms of objects extracting resource from avatar, nor forbid skyboxes at high altitudes. So my question is: is it legal to have such farm at linden home parcel?

I'm almost certain you might mean where my old log house was. It was the house opposite. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to put this in this part of the forum but it's one of those cowgirl milking fetish thingys. I would say it's probably better in the sky than in the house however I was never sure whether it was a commercial thing at all. I left anyway so never really investigated it. 

Near my Victorian house there was a lady doing that wine making for profit thing, I don't know the name of it but the barrels were in the side of the house and it defo caused some lag problems. I do think if people want to do things like this they should maybe confine it to mainland. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, animats said:

I've never been able to figure out why breedables use so much sim resources. I have very active mobile NPCs that use less resources than breedables that mostly just stand around.

Breedables scripts are contacting servers regularly and that is worse, I think, than an animated loop movement that repeats. 

Edited by Always Incognito

On 8/18/2021 at 9:59 PM, Pussycat Catnap said:

When you see something that to you looks like it is most likely a violation of the covenant the best response is to quietly file a report and not contact the person nor call it out in groups. As in, don't "stir the drama pot". If it is a violation, the lindens will get to it in time, and if not, they won't. Note that the staff that responds to those things is a very small team so response time can be anything from instant to a week or more depending on how much 'stuffz' is going on right then...

That said, if you DO decide to go posting up about it to everyone, the response time could get delayed if the drama pot gets stirred and the team finds itself having to sort through dozens to hundreds of reports, most of which are "so an so was mean to me."

About year ago, one of neighbors at linden house region where my house is placed platform at very low altitude. I decided to just kindly ask owner to remove it, cause it’s against covenant, owner agreed and removed the object. 
There some cases that is too small to even file a ticket, though in case of this farm, owner obviously would start arguing if one would kindly ask him to remove that skybox, so I just file the report without any interaction with people up there.

I actually made post on this forum to be sure it’s actually violation, to not file useless report to linden lab

14 hours ago, animats said:

I've never been able to figure out why breedables use so much sim resources. I have very active mobile NPCs that use less resources than breedables that mostly just stand around.

Because all breedables are not the same.  You don't claim all humans on earth are exactly the same, and they are all like Trump and Bezos, I hope.   Patch's two breedables rule for Belli is based on the worst possible case, and even then it's overkill by a factor of 2X for the worst possibly designed breedable.  Of course if one Belli region has 16 parcels and they ALL have 2 breedables, then 32 poorly designed breedables could cause lag.  Not that likely everyone on a Belli region would have breedables though. 

Here is the script and object info for one of my breedables:

[Script info: 'KittyCats - 9T-f Tang2 BluB:  [4/8] running scripts, 512 KB allowed memory size limit, 0.007371 ms of CPU time consumed.]

The cat communicates with outside servers once every 10 minutes - a one line text info line.

Object Data: 

ec7815072dc7425e1ae6067145413fb1.png

Region Data (Linden Homes Stilt on Water region, 2 avatars in region, all homes occupied) :

2737db2dc7deaa40c1a44b8e934d5f0d.png

I could easily have 50 breedables and increase total script time by only 0.4 ms, out of 22 ms CPU cycle time available.

My rule of thumb is 50 breedables the way I breed them, are about the same as one normally dressed avatar on a region!

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Thanks 3

42 minutes ago, So Whimsy said:

@Jaylinbridges There's way too many people believing the old wife's tale that all breedables cause lag stemming from outdated knowledge and/or sheer ignorance.

True, There's a bunny farm next to one of my plots (non-beli) that I didn't notice for quite a while because it was basically no-lag. When you look inside a breedable and see 10+ scripts though. . .

But governance has to govern based on the lowest common denominator. you really don't want LL deciding what breedables are "Laggy" and which ones aren't. easier to just limit the whole class of objects. . . although, I wonder how bad breedables compare to bad furniture in terms of lag. . . furniture doesn't (generally) multiply itself though.

Edited by Quistess Alpha
  • Like 3

On 8/23/2021 at 2:12 PM, Layla Claven said:

I was wondering about farm animals myself as this is across from my alt house on Bandit. I wasn't sure if it was allowed or not.

Farm animals, in and of themselves, are allowed -- as long as they are  not breedables.  In other words, it is okay for someone to have a regular horse/cow/goat/chickens/etc... in their yard.

• Moles
3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Farm animals, in and of themselves, are allowed -- as long as they are  not breedables.  In other words, it is okay for someone to have a regular horse/cow/goat/chickens/etc... in their yard.

They also need to be within theme if visible outside the home. If you want to breed cows in the confines of your bedroom of your Stilt home I'm not going to judge, but nobody wants to see that on your back deck. 😁

• Haha 5

• Moles
4 hours ago, Quistess Alpha said:

True, There's a bunny farm next to one of my plots (non-beli) that I didn't notice for quite a while because it was basically no-lag. When you look inside a breedable and see 10+ scripts though. . .

But governance has to govern based on the lowest common denominator. you really don't want LL deciding what breedables are "Laggy" and which ones aren't. easier to just limit the whole class of objects. . . although, I wonder how bad breedables compare to bad furniture in terms of lag. . . furniture doesn't (generally) multiply itself though.

This ^^^^^
We realize that not all breedables are the same, but we're not going to put large amounts of time investigating which ones those are, compiling and maintaining a list, checking against that list in every instance, etc. We're just limiting it to two regardless of what type they are.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Abnor Mole said:

They also need to be within theme if visible outside the home. If you want to breed cows in the confines of your bedroom of your Stilt home I'm not going to judge, but nobody wants to see that on your back deck. 😁

So, apparently having a horse & stall (and chickens) in one's backyard is considered in theme to the Traditionals - I reported such a couple of times, but nothing ever came of it.

Then again, my neighbors in RL have chickens in their back yard.  They became acceptable in the past few years.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

Most pets and "farm animals" cause more lag than a properly configured breedable.  Yet pets, including animesh animals are allowed in Belli.  Every time there is lag on my private region, it is from someone with a few chickens, dogs, or tiger PETS (Z***y etc)  running around colliding with everything.  They all have multiple scripts as well. 

Pets should be restricted more than breedables,  based on the facts, or science as it's sometimes called.

Here is what my Covenant from ZoHa Islands reads.  It has worked for them for the last 12 years:

8. Breeding animals are allowed if movements and sounds are turned off and lag stays under control. 
9. Pets (NON - Breeding ) are allowed if they don't collide with objects and movement is turned off when no one is in the parcel.

Keeping breeders on high sky platforms is also recommended, to reduce initial texture loading from ground visitors.

Here's an example of a T***** Pet Horse, simply standing in a stable:

[Script info: 'Mane': [19/22] running scripts, 1408 KB allowed memory size limit, 0.217510 ms of CPU time consumed.]

The T***** horse also uses 36 prims.  I keep mine in inventory  except when I ride it;  don't need the extra lag.

And here is my breedable again: [Script info: 'KittyCats - 9T-f Tang2 BluB:  [4/8] running scripts, 512 KB allowed memory size limit, 0.007371 ms of CPU time consumed.]

4 running scripts for stationary non physical breedable and 0.0074 ms

and 19 running scripts and 0.2175 ms for the Pet (NON breedable). 

numbers, such pesky things...

PS - That ZoHa TOS is for a Residential private region - no clubs or large businesses allowed. A small shop in the sky is allowed if traffic is low.  I get about 10 shoppers/week, so I qualify.  But then they usually buy my Kittycats boxes, because I can advertise to a very specific crowd.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
hid brand names just because...
  • Thanks 1

I think the reason no more than 2 breedables is allowed in Bellisseria, is not only a script issue, but also an image LL does not want for Bellisseria.

Those who breed animals can sell them, while those with pets that does only walk around or stand still, have them as decor and companions.

What gives breedables away is that ugly hoovertext. Can it be turned off?

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 972 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.