Will Second Life ever add Third Person Shooter(TPS) Camera Angle?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 668 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You can already edit your camera position to achieve what you want. Crosshair not included, but there's not much you could do with that anyway.

I guess some viewer could implement a different camera position for mouselook to get closer to what you mean, but that has a lot of headaches involved when it comes to how scripts are supposed to work with mouselook.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

You can already edit your camera position to achieve what you want. Crosshair not included, but there's not much you could do with that anyway.

I guess some viewer could implement a different camera position for mouselook to get closer to what you mean, but that has a lot of headaches involved when it comes to how scripts are supposed to work with mouselook.

I can imagine anyone being able to code it, but for it to work properly would need to be implemented in the SL engine.

Edited by Rob Huntsman

5 hours ago, Rob Huntsman said:

Mouse-look is one of my most used features in Second life. So I'm kind of curious will second life ever expand on this with a TPS camera angle with crosshair?

There is a tiny '+' in the middle of mouselook, I think? 

Or there was...I remember using it for shooting zombies 🧟‍♂️

ETA: I've probably totally misunderstood this, sorry!

Edited by Rat Luv

6 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

There is a tiny '+' in the middle of mouselook, I think? 

Or there was...I remember using it for shooting zombies 🧟‍♂️

ETA: I've probably totally misunderstood this, sorry!

Aye I'm talking about something like you'd see in PUBG, Warframe, and MANY third person games. You simply hold right mouse click and you go into side camera/crosshair mode when aiming at something.

2 hours ago, Rob Huntsman said:

Aye I'm talking about something like you'd see in PUBG, Warframe, and MANY third person games. You simply hold right mouse click and you go into side camera/crosshair mode when aiming at something.

We would need camera control reform, offering the scripted ability for the camera to follow an attachment or a body part at a local position and local rotation and possibly at a weighting value whether in and/or out of mouselook.

Whenever going into any of these over-the-shoulder or scope views it would also be nice if we had the scripted ability to declare what body part(s)  and/or attachments rigged to those body parts does not render on screen. This is also needed when using vehicles/furniture in mouselook as well as sword swinging or weapons usage in mouselook.

Edited by Lucia Nightfire

Not quite what you're looking for, but Black Dragon viewer let's you hold down the rightclick button on your mouse to move the camera around. Or toggle a third person mouselook mode by hitting the "v" key, so SL controls more like a third person videogame. A couple of really great features that I'd love to see other viewers pick up on.

Speaking of third person view, LL apparently was at one point going to add a new third person camera view that was more like what you see in the majority of third person videogames made since 2004, but someone high up at LL overuled the idea. So instead we only have front view and side view camera presets that I wager almost nobody uses except for maybe people who don't know how to alt+cam. Then again, if you don't know how to alt+cam you probably don't know how to change your camera presets, either. 

On 8/15/2021 at 1:02 PM, Noelle Delaunay said:

You sound surprised, but SL offers a broad range of activities that can only be participated in in mouselook, from certain games all the way to combat.

Which is a shame because there are those who'd like to play but can't because can't use mouselook. TBI can do weird things to the brain.

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Rob Huntsman said:

You can "sort of" do this with http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlCastRay to create hits that your shots will go to to lock on a target and if no hits are detected, triangulate either your character's position or the guesstimated projectile rez location with the camera position and some clamped distance from the camera to simulate aiming at the horizon or to infinity.

The aesthetics problems come from lack of features, such as no controllable IKs to rotate your upper body (or torso once the upper body hits a limit) to whatever you're aiming at. This can only be done in mouselook without any AO overriding it, not over the shoulder or third party perspective. Currently, you'd have to use a ton of incremental upper body rotation animation assets and choose the closest one.

Also, we have no client side effects capability with prim parameter "updating", so if you want some fancy highlighting or glow outlines for targets it would have to be something done in-world and seen by everyone...

Edited by Lucia Nightfire

9 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

You can "sort of" do this with http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlCastRay to create hits that your shots will go to to lock on a target and if no hits are detected, triangulate either your character's position or the guesstimated projectile rez location with the camera position and some clamped distance from the camera to simulate aiming at the horizon or to infinity.

The aesthetics problems come from lack of features, such as no controllable IKs to rotate your upper body (or torso once the upper body hits a limit) to whatever you're aiming at. This can only be done in mouselook without any AO overriding it, not over the shoulder or third party perspective. Currently, you'd have to use a ton of incremental upper body rotation animation assets and choose the closest one.

Also, we have no client side effects capability with prim parameter "updating", so if you want some fancy highlighting or glow outlines for targets it would have to be something done in-world and seen by everyone...

Yeah exactly like it should be in the SL engine. It would be a pain to script the movement, AND try to get the aim centered. In addition it would require a scripting language for it like mouselook.

For example, they're LLMouselook commands in the SL viewer that people can manage for weapon scripts, and other SL products.

However, if you were to try scripting something for TPS it would be too difficult with out LSL languages supporting TPS mode.

Edited by Rob Huntsman

• 9 months later...
On 8/15/2021 at 6:14 PM, Rob Huntsman said:

Mouse-look is one of my most used features in Second life. So I'm kind of curious will second life ever expand on this with a TPS camera angle with crosshair?

Second Life is not a FPS game. Plently of those on Steam. Try them out ;) 

6 hours ago, KT Kingsley said:

Has anyone mentioned camera presets?

The original question that was asked in 2021 was asking about mouselook and using scripted items.

While you can adjust your camera position (with or without presets) as I explained originally, it won't affect mouselook. And while you're out of mouselook, you can't use those scripted items you'd want to aim with.

On 6/20/2022 at 6:29 AM, erikwingky said:

how did you do that the 3rd person view???

Rob's screenshots are just illustrations, not functional.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 668 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.