SL supper club 🍽

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 833 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It’s a great big culinary world out there.  It’s always interesting to me to see dishes from around the world (even in parts of my own country) I would never have even heard of if not for the internet.   Maybe you have a favorite recipe to share or maybe want to gush about a meal out (or take away)?

I’m scared of grease fires to the point that I don’t cook with oil.  This week I fried for the first time in at least 10 years.  We made pulled pork taquitos & they were amazing!   I knew I had to buy these marshmallows when I saw them on the shelf & so today I will be making chocolate popcorn balls & the rest of the batch of taquitos.

Do you have any yummies to share?

A56240DC-B6E6-4FB7-898F-F6C77DB89367.jpeg

FBE760F3-A39C-42F2-8035-E0EF25BFDF9E.jpeg

Edited by Pixie Kobichenko
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Well, I'm hardly a gourmet, and haven't really got that much interest in food, but I have just enjoyed some stuffed vine leaves and am now tucking into an apple pie with Cornish clotted cream. :)  Proper 'andsome, proper job.

I’ve had clotted cream just once (in England, well on the plane home from) *it’s not a thing you find inoklahoma* & it was amazing!   Is vine leaves grape leaves?  There’s a deli in Dallas, Texas that makes them- my dad would bring a cooler with us on trips that took us thru Dallas & he would stop just to buy lots of them & po’ boy sandwiches!  https://www.yelp.com/biz/antoines-foods-dallas

• Like 1

Just now, Silent Mistwalker said:

We've been avoiding cooking inside until the heat wave dies down some so we've been grilling. We managed to keep it below 85F inside yesterday. Barely. It's too hot to eat much any way.

Our central AC breaks every summer.  Every single year.  Due to working from home & happy dogs I can’t have someone in to fix it right now- so we have 2 window units.  It has gotten pretty warm this past week when the heat index is 110f & I’m so happy it’s cooling off for a week or so.  I’ve banned use of the toaster oven & the electric skillet doesn’t put out a ton of heat so that’s what we’ve used.  
I do agree the heat wilts appetites.

1 minute ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

Our central AC breaks every summer.  Every single year.  Due to working from home & happy dogs I can’t have someone in to fix it right now- so we have 2 window units.  It has gotten pretty warm this past week when the heat index is 110f & I’m so happy it’s cooling off for a week or so.  I’ve banned use of the toaster oven & the electric skillet doesn’t put out a ton of heat so that’s what we’ve used.  
I do agree the heat wilts appetites.

All we have are the portables. We have 3 and we need one more. We have a small window unit in storage. Way in the back and we'd have to move almost everything out to get to it. Not happening in this heat and once summer wanes he'll forget about it until the next heat dome hits. I refuse to nag. Begging and pleading don't work. I had to give up on growing old gracefully. Life is forcing me to fight tooth and nail every step of the way. 🤬 All the while having to put on The Face. ☺️

🙄

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

We've been avoiding cooking inside until the heat wave dies down some so we've been grilling. We managed to keep it below 85F inside yesterday. Barely. It's too hot to eat much any way.

Oh & if this is in your budget- these make a HUGE difference (I have the blue one with button control & the older red one with a dial.  The red is louder but both work great):

74FB8ECA-E784-42E5-A4DD-67BA93F4C748.jpeg

• Like 1

Just now, Pixie Kobichenko said:

Oh & if this is in your budget- these make a HUGE difference (I have the blue one with button control & the older red one with a dial.  The red is louder but both work great):

74FB8ECA-E784-42E5-A4DD-67BA93F4C748.jpeg

Thanks but I'd rather retain what hearing I still have. lol  I already have high frequency hearing loss. That would only make it worse.

If you've never lived in an older mobile home, you have no idea what it is like to live in a tin can. Exterior walls are no more than 3 -4 inches thick so very little insulation. The roof is just as bad and it's curved, not peaked. And it's all 40 year old aluminum siding. And of course the long front side has the southern exposure with all the larger windows on that side (60'x14') and no shade. What little shade there was, was a neighbors tree behind us and they cut it down last year. Nothing wrong with the tree so it must have been the roots growing into the sewer system.

What we need to fix it all, we can't afford. A roof over the whole thing and it needs to extend out over the concrete pad which does not run the full length of the trailer so we'd have to add in at least 2 window awnings. Had we known what a crappy job the park was doing "remodeling" this place before we bought it, I would never have agreed to the purchase. The kitchen cabinets and counters don't even match and they weren't intended for home use. They were made to be used in a break room in an office. So, that means I can't use a good portion of my counter space because nothing will fit underneath the cabinets. They cobbled the kitchen together out of junk they bought from Habitat for Humanity.

Didn't mean for this to turn into a rant. Sorry.

16 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Thanks but I'd rather retain what hearing I still have. lol  I already have high frequency hearing loss. That would only make it worse.

If you've never lived in an older mobile home, you have no idea what it is like to live in a tin can. Exterior walls are no more than 3 -4 inches thick so very little insulation. The roof is just as bad and it's curved, not peaked. And it's all 40 year old aluminum siding. And of course the long front side has the southern exposure with all the larger windows on that side (60'x14') and no shade. What little shade there was, was a neighbors tree behind us and they cut it down last year. Nothing wrong with the tree so it must have been the roots growing into the sewer system.

What we need to fix it all, we can't afford. A roof over the whole thing and it needs to extend out over the concrete pad which does not run the full length of the trailer so we'd have to add in at least 2 window awnings. Had we known what a crappy job the park was doing "remodeling" this place before we bought it, I would never have agreed to the purchase. The kitchen cabinets and counters don't even match and they weren't intended for home use. They were made to be used in a break room in an office. So, that means I can't use a good portion of my counter space because nothing will fit underneath the cabinets. They cobbled the kitchen together out of junk they bought from Habitat for Humanity.

Didn't mean for this to turn into a rant. Sorry.

I’m sorry you’re dealing with a crummy home.  I can commiserate- in 2017 we bought a double wide that was built in the mid 90s.  We didn’t know what we were doing & got suckered.  By the time we were able to move away, there was one bedroom with completely rotted floor, kitchen couldn’t be entered due to soft floor, boards bought to make a gang plank to a toilet, we had to shut the hot water tank off after every use because the knobs in the other bathroom had water blasting out to the backside of the tub.  The day we left it was storming & literally had 50 gallon storage tubs catching water from the ceiling in multiple places in the living room.  There was no ac or heat- the previous owners had dumped boxes of mothballs in all the floor vents (I don’t know how they lived with the vapors), that’s why we have window units now & heated the house with the oven & an electric fireplace.  That was the winter I had sepsis & had to have major abdominal surgery.  It was just horrific all around.  

I do understand & am very sorry for your circumstances 🤗 

25 minutes ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

I’m sorry you’re dealing with a crummy home.  I can commiserate- in 2017 we bought a double wide that was built in the mid 90s.  We didn’t know what we were doing & got suckered.  By the time we were able to move away, there was one bedroom with completely rotted floor, kitchen couldn’t be entered due to soft floor, boards bought to make a gang plank to a toilet, we had to shut the hot water tank off after every use because the knobs in the other bathroom had water blasting out to the backside of the tub.  The day we left it was storming & literally had 50 gallon storage tubs catching water from the ceiling in multiple places in the living room.  There was no ac or heat- the previous owners had dumped boxes of mothballs in all the floor vents (I don’t know how they lived with the vapors), that’s why we have window units now & heated the house with the oven & an electric fireplace.  That was the winter I had sepsis & had to have major abdominal surgery.  It was just horrific all around.  

I do understand & am very sorry for your circumstances 🤗 

All that can be said is... 🤗

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

The Stay-Puft marshmallows reminds me of the original Ghostbusters movie!

That’s what they are!   I’ve seen them before years ago (campfire brand) but with the movie coming this winter I was excited to buy an extra bag to just keep.

• Like 1

Tonight I roasted a bulb of garlic (drizzled with olive oil) in baking foil in the oven for about 40 minutes...then let it cool, and mashed it with a fork over toasted sourdough bread and added Feta cheese...

Yum yum pig's bum :P

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eddy Vortex said:

I've made a big pot of Burmese coconut chicken curry. It should last a few days. 😄

Okay that looks amazing!   I’ve only had a curry once.  It was at a place called Gopuram Taste of India & it was a buffet for Valentines Day.  It was lamb.  They also had basmati rice, which I remember being really nice.  That curry looks like it would be so good in the winter.  🍜 ❄️ 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Was lazy tonight so just had some watermelon chunks, then had some cheese and onion crisps with THIS 🤩

51za8XOnyrL._AC_.jpg.21a93d2653d4f126c1aa78e283e6e4c6.jpg

😮. Do you eat it with a spoon or is it like salsa for corn chips?

edit:  helps if I focus when I read.  I see you said that it’s eaten with chips.  Sounds really good!  (I looked it up on Amazon)

Edited by Pixie Kobichenko
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

😮. Do you eat it with a spoon or is it like salsa for corn chips?

You can add it when you're cooking, like a spoon full to a chilli or stew, to spice it up...or also just have it as a side 🙂

But tonight I just put a dollop on a plate and dipped the crisps :P 

Edited by Rat Luv
can't spell tonight
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

Okay that looks amazing!   I’ve only had a curry once.  It was at a place called Gopuram Taste of India & it was a buffet for Valentines Day.  It was lamb.  They also had basmati rice, which I remember being really nice.  That curry looks like it would be so good in the winter.  🍜 ❄️ 

I thought curries would be hard to make but this one is surprisingly easy. It would be real nice in winter (and year round, I wouldn't mind eating this year round).  I like to serve it with rice.  Or with noodles (plain spaghetti would work in a pinch) with a bit of chicken stock to make for a noodle soup.

• Like 2

@Pixie KobichenkoIf you like salsas, Mrs Renfro is a great brand and has a huge range of different heats...it's an American company. It used to be expensive to order their stuff here, but now they have lots of UK affiliates 😎 

91oVGhZ2ftL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.b21c2490a849360c70ae1ff3e7b095e8.jpg

The chilli that knocks me out is Bhut Jolokia 🥵 Just smelling it in the cupboard gives me a sneezing fit...like having your top lip pierced xD

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rat Luv said:

@Pixie KobichenkoIf you like salsas, Mrs Renfro is a great brand and has a huge range of different heats...it's an American company. It used to be expensive to order their stuff here, but now they have lots of UK affiliates 😎 

91oVGhZ2ftL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.b21c2490a849360c70ae1ff3e7b095e8.jpg

The chilli that knocks me out is Bhut Jolokia 🥵 Just smelling it in the cupboard gives me a sneezing fit...like having your top lip pierced xD

I used to buy the peach salsa from Mrs. Renfros but the last few years I’ve been wanting less liquids & less sugary salsa.  So I’ve just bought hot pico de Gallo.  At Walmart there is a tub in the produce area & I use it for tons of stuff- actually put it in my taquito stuffing this weekend!  🌶 🧅 🔥 

E5B67A0F-F890-445B-A87A-F2AF84C3CA42.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alma Palmira said:

Feeling nostalgic, I started off my day with a bowl of ProNutro and tonight I’m making chicken biryani with a healthy dollop of Mrs. Balls on top. And yes, I will eat it with my hand. 🙂

IMG_2386.jpeg

IMG_2387.jpeg

I was wondering if the Nutro was like cream of wheat, but it says no wheat & has corn on the box so wondering if it’s like grits?  
Ive never had chutney.  I’ve never seen it on a shelf & I just searched my grocery store online & it all has 2-3 day delivery so it must be special order.  I bet it’s good!  I read the ingredients for yours.  I would probably eat it with a spoon.  I love to buy apple butter (not really a butter) in the fall & will eat it out of the jar.  

On 8/14/2021 at 3:35 PM, Rat Luv said:

Tonight I roasted a bulb of garlic (drizzled with olive oil) in baking foil in the oven for about 40 minutes...then let it cool, and mashed it with a fork over toasted sourdough bread and added Feta cheese...

Yum yum pig's bum :P

Garlic is one of my food groups!!  I buy these garlic bagel chips that make my hubby cry.  He would make me eat them outside if he could.

Me, thinking about garlic:  

630F7E97-79F6-451B-A7EB-F630E69D0C0B.jpeg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

I was wondering if the Nutro was like cream of wheat, but it says no wheat & has corn on the box so wondering if it’s like grits?  
Ive never had chutney.  I’ve never seen it on a shelf & I just searched my grocery store online & it all has 2-3 day delivery so it must be special order.  I bet it’s good!  I read the ingredients for yours.  I would probably eat it with a spoon.  I love to buy apple butter (not really a butter) in the fall & will eat it out of the jar.  

Have you had ketchup? That's a tomato chutney. I've never heard of pronutro before. It's amazing how many different kinds of food and recipes are out there. 

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 833 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.