Upload Inconsistencies

Vialli Rossini

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4680 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi Everyone!

My first post! :matte-motes-grin:

Having finally taken the plunge into using my limited Maya skills to play on the Mesh grid (and enjoying it)  I have come up against a brick wall that I am hoping that someone can help me over or even around!

Simply put I am getting crazy inconsistent results when I try and upload my .dae file inworld. Sometimes the client totally crashes, sometimes it freezes sometimes it accepts the model but not as would be expected. Rarely does it come in with no problems.  :matte-motes-frown:

Now while I am aware that inconsistencies are the SL Mesh grids Stock in Trade this seems to go beyond that and I KNOW that it MUST be something I am doing wrong. 

The model topology is clean (all polygons), the history is deleted and the transforms frozen. I have tried , grouping , combining and nothing to see if that helped.

Sometimes I get the whole model inworld but the texture groups are not as they should be. Or sometimes I get the model in with some objects grossly overscaled (some are fine). Perhaps it is a texture issue (I sometimes get a texture error in the Collada conversion). I just do not know and I am running out of hair to rip out!

So I am hoping someone can give me an idea as to where the issue may be. Perhaps even a final checklist before uploading., or a link to such .

many thanks 

V

Welcome to it.

In the past (and emphasis that last part) we noticed Maya's export to COLLADA wasn't always "true" and would produce wacky results (if at all).  There's supposedly a third party exporter which works well, but I know little about Maya myself, just what I recall hearing from others.  Another thing is it seems you're trying to upload an entire scene of different objects rather than one single object?  That might be the cause of your issue as well, as scene parsing by the importer was at times unstable.  While I'm sure the Lindens do want to know about all consistent crash cases, it can be disheartening to know your uploads don't work for some reason.  If you can take a particular COLLADA file and constantly crash the client (and make sure you're using one of the newest builds) you should probably post a JIRA entry with a copy of that file and the revision of the client you're using (most recent as of this post is 232004).  The method of exporting might be helpful as well (which plugin did the exporting, what options did you have selected, etc.).  This way the Lindens have something to muck around with the file and maybe find a flaw in the code, or tell you what you're doing wrong "because <option X> is incompatable with SL's importer."

Thanks Feynt

as I mentioned, the conclusion that I had come to was that it was something I was doing wrong not Maya or the Grid. But I was unable to fathom what exactly it was. Although bringing in a scene with different models pointed someway toward my issues with "groups" and "combining". I was trying to work out whether or not it was possible to upload a combined model that could take more than one texture. This I have done before...but as mentioned I was having inconsistent results. Is it possible? And what is the process that makes this work?

Hope someone can help.

Many thanks again Feynt :)

Well I can only tell you that in Blender you can create a mesh with more than two textures, one of my creations (a character which I intended for a Torchlight mod) has one UV map for its body and one more for its hair, and this imports properly into SL.

Now, a scene with separate meshes (completely disconnected) will import each separately and attempt to rescale everything accordingly and position them like they should be in the original scene, but as I mentioned this did fail early on, so it's possible it's failing again (related to mesh import issues specifically or just the scene reconstruction as a whole I don't know).

It's also possible that the version of the mesh sim you're trying to work in has compatability issues with your work.  I know I was trying to upload my stuff in several sims the other night and it kept coming in as plates approximately 0.01m tall and perfectly flat, but when uploaded in a final sim where someone else was working and they successfully uploaded, my creation worked too.  So, try a dozen sims at least, or at least ensure you're not working in one of the experimental sims (listed... somewhere around here).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4680 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.