Creating a local SIM

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4790 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There's the opensim-project (http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Main_Page). You can use that to setup your own regions not connected to the SL-grid. Be warned though as it is not a trivial click and use software .... It needs some technical background to get into use. Another possibility - not tried out though - would be the Aurora-Project: (http://aurora-sim.org/).

Hope that helps

As far as I know there is currently no support for external simulators, which means you have to rent a SIM from LindenLabs.

For any reason this rental is often declared as "buying". Whenever possible we shall make clear that there is transaction within SL regarding land which is comparable to the common meaning of "buying". It is simply a rental. Unfortunately SL refers to the term "buy" instead of "rent". I guess this is to attract customers.

The rent for a sim is way off a normal dedicated server you can rent at hosting companies. 1000 USD setup fee for the SIM server and a monthly rent of 295 USD gives SL a huge margin. It would be great if SL offers simulators to comparable street prices  e.g. 50 USD setup fee and 50 USD rent for the server. I bet this would attract many new customers and creative people and SL and the crowd would benefit from them as well.  

Just a few thoughts...

The answer is YES and NO and MAYBE

YES you can create a locally hosted sim by using either of the software packages mentioned. It is NOT easy, but it's a great learning experience.

NO you can't hook it into Second Life's servers and TP to it directly from SL. Nothing will transfer betwen it and SL.

MAYBE you can let your friends log onto your home-based sim

The currently available options for making a stand-alone sim on your own computer are equivalent to taking a log raft and a hatchet and some matches to a deserted island, and trying to re-create the experiences you could have at an expensive resort in Hawaii. The location can be beautiful, but you have to build everything in it yourself!

A stand-alone sim can not be connected to SL's grid of sims. LL will not allow it.

Content purchased from someone else in Second Life can not legally be transported to sims not run by Linden Lab, even if the stuff is "full perms". (There are a few exceptions to that, where for example the maker of a texture set of some other easily exported asset may, in their terms of service, allow use on other grids. But these exceptions are rare.)

Accounts that log in to access stand-alone sims have to be created on that stand-alone server. You can not, for example, log in using your existing SL avatar - with all his/her clothes, skins, shapes and other stuff. Everything the new avatar account will have available has to have been created in or imported into that sim - and importing content from other grids isn't easy, and in many cases isn't legal.

There are grids that are not run by Linden Lab, and that will allow you to create your own stand-alone server and then connect that server to their grid. So your sim resides on a PC in your home, but you can still travel from there to a friend's sim on that sane grid, which is hosted on a PC in their apartment, or shop at a small mall that may be on a server hosted by the grid itself. You can also create accounts for friends on your server - but as I stated before, they start with no inventory.

Without exception, these "alternative grids" and "stand alone servers", have fewer resources available, and fewer things work as well as the way you expect on the Second Life grids. In particular, scripted content and stuff that needs physics to work is crippled or incomplete.

For example, a University I work with has a lovely stand-alone grid with 30+ sims in it, hosted on servers in the Amazon cloud. They had to create a new account for me, on their grid, which I could still call "Ceera Murakami". But that account is completely disconnected from my SL account, and only owns the dresses that I created on their grid for her to wear, and has to use the system default skin and hair (not even anything half as nice as the "starter avatars" that LL provides, with prim hair and professionally created skins). In comparison to what Ceera looks like in SL, the one on that University grid is a pale copy, with very crude skin and hair. And she's stuck being Human, unless I make the effort to create my own Furry avatar, from scratch.

I have built some wonderful things for them on their grid - but I had to create and import all my own building textures, and when I needed to make a chair with a simple sit animation in it, I had to create the animation myself and import it. There are no texture shops or animation shops or other places that I can go to buy stuff to use on that set of servers.

I wanted to re-create a physical elevator that I had built for the same client in Second Life. I was able to re-create the exact prims and textures, and tried to import the same scripts for the elevator, which I had created myself from scratch on the SL grid. But the Physics Engine in Opensim isn't anywhere near as good as in Second Life, and the scripts simply could not be made to work. I had to settle for making an elevator that had an elevator car on each floor, and using a sit-teleport to move the avatar from floor to floor, with scripts to have the elevator doors open and close as I needed them to. It was a complete re-write of all the basic functions. And forget about vehicle scripts, even if you have full-perms ones you can import. They just don't work on Opensim.

Unless you join an alternative grid where existing content creators have already imported or re-created stuff that they designed in SL, you can forget about finding a good selection of clothes, skins, hair, dance pose balls, sex pose balls, or scripted furniture. One grid I visited had a full-perms kit available for free that would, in theory, allow you to make a "Multi Love Pose" scripted bed. But you pretty much needed to be able to create all your own animations for it. The stores that sold animations, and pose balls were small to non-existent.

In short, yes, there's free alternatives that allow you to create a bare-bones, stand-alone sim that is sort of like Second Life. But it will always be an inadequate and incomplete experience - sort of like sleeping under a bridge in Hawaii instead of in the resort hotel.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4790 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.