Voice Problems

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 845 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Voice is no longer working for me in any SL viewer. I have tired everything I know. I did a clean install of Firestorm, I tried other viewers, and I reinstalled the Linden SL viewer. I checked my audio settings in Windows with other programs and it works fine and I checked my voice settings in preferences and tried to refresh a few times. Nothing works. One thing that I notice when I go into Task Manager is that the SLVoice.exe file is showing as not enabled. I have tried deleting the file and restarting to see if it reloads and that doesn't work. I am at a loss. Not only can I no longer see the whit dot above my avatar, but I can't see it on anyone else either and I can't hear anyone else use voice. 

I have searched this forum and tried all of the above based on what I've read here. Any other ideas of what I may try? 

I have the same issue since recently. I thought it's some kind of windows update fault. I even bought myself new microphone (I needed that anyway). Microphone is working but NOT in second life. I have no dot above my avatar and I can't hear anyone else aswell.

Normally I'm using firestorm but because of that issue I even installed original SL browser and I have the same issue.

Can anyone help please?

• 2 weeks later...

yes it has to be a problem in the viewers them self because it works on every thing else like my games and skype or what ever other program i use!. just one more crappy thing they have messed up with the viewer updates to firestorm and sl as well as other viewers  they really need to stop messing things up!. this is the problem with changing to new versions so damned offten cant they stop making so many half ass changes and stop messing with parts of the program that actually worked damnit!

Edited by CandyLicksYouTo
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CandyLicksYouTo said:

yes it has to be a problem in the viewers them self because it works on every thing else like my games and skype or what ever other program i use!. just one more crappy thing they have messed up with the viewer updates to firestorm and sl as well as other viewers  they really need to stop messing things up!. this is the problem with changing to new versions so damned offten cant they stop making so many half ass changes and stop messing with parts of the program that actually worked damnit!

Newsflash for you: Not every VoIP enabled service uses VIVOX. Far more often, the problem is with the VIVOX servers - which Linden Lab nor any TPV Dev team control.

If you look in firestorm.log (c:\users\WindowsLoginName\appdata\roaming\firestorm_x64\logs\firestorm.log or in Linux /home/LoginName/.firestorm_x64/logs/firestorm.log) and search for "vivox" you find a line like below.

2021-08-28T17:46:21Z INFO #Voice# newview/llvoicevivox.cpp(623) LLVivoxVoiceClient::userAuthorized : name "marissaorloff_resident" , ID feb97ff8-8469-4b2a-adda-27adeea92f5c

If it says user not authorized there is a problem at vivox and send LL a support ticket along with that line. Better yet send them all vivox lines in the log file.

**the appdata folder is hidden by default so you must enable hidden folders**

Edited by MarissaOrloff

1 hour ago, MarissaOrloff said:

If you look in firestorm.log (c:\users\WindowsLoginName\appdata\roaming\firestorm_x64\logs\firestorm.log or in Linux /home/LoginName/.firestorm_x64/logs/firestorm.log) and search for "vivox" you find a line like below.

2021-08-28T17:46:21Z INFO #Voice# newview/llvoicevivox.cpp(623) LLVivoxVoiceClient::userAuthorized : name "marissaorloff_resident" , ID feb97ff8-8469-4b2a-adda-27adeea92f5c

Interesting theory, might be the problem for some other people, but not me unfortunately:

2021-08-27T20:01:00Z INFO #Voice# newview/winevoicevivox.cpp(616) LLVivoxVoiceClient::userAuthorized : name "quistess_alpha" , ID 8645873d-1306-4f22-a60c-4f2bc3bb9ca2

(a bit later)

2021-08-27T20:01:02Z INFO #Voice# newview/winevoicevivox.cpp(953) LLVivoxVoiceClient::startAndLaunchDaemon : Launching SLVoice
2021-08-27T20:01:02Z INFO #LLProcess# llcommon/llprocess.cpp(697) LLProcess::LLProcess : SLVoice (1352300): launched cd /home/***/SOURCE/Second_Life/kokua/Kokua_FTRLV_6_4_22_51074_x86_64: /home/***/SOURCE/Second_Life/kokua/Kokua_FTRLV_6_4_22_51074_x86_64/bin/SLVoice -ll 0 -lf /home/***/.kokua/logs -lp SLVoice -ls .log -st 5 -i 127.0.0.1:41575

2021-08-27T20:01:02Z WARNING #Voice# newview/winevoicevivox.cpp(814) LLVivoxVoiceClient::callbackEndDaemon : SLVoice terminated {'data':i-1,'desc':'SLVoice (1352300)','id':i1352300,'state':i2,'string':'SLVoice (1352300) exited with code -1'}
2021-08-27T20:01:02Z WARNING #Voice# newview/winevoicevivox.cpp(1775) LLVivoxVoiceClient::terminateAudioSession : terminateAudioSession(0) with NULL mAudioSession

Kokua and FS aren't the same, but I assume they share pretty much all the voice code.

I'm kinda glad it's broken. I gave it a fair shake, but I vastly preffer text. No "what was that word?" or "could you enunciate more?" and on text people are generally much more respectful about taking turns in the conversation and giving adequate space to make a reply.

Edited by Quistess Alpha

12 hours ago, Quistess Alpha said:

Kokua and FS aren't the same, but I assume they share pretty much all the voice code.

SLVoice is the same binary no matter what the viewer is. It is downloaded from LL repositories at build time

checking slvoice
downloading slvoice:
  http://automated-builds-secondlife-com.s3.amazonaws.com/ct2/55967/524409/slvoice-4.10.0000.32327.5fc3fe7c.539691-windows64-539691.tar.bz2
     to c:\users\marissa\appdata\local\temp\install.cache.Marissa\slvoice-4.10.0000.32327.5fc3fe7c.539691-windows64-539691.tar.bz2
11 MB / 11 MB (100%)
verifying slvoice
installing slvoice
extracting from slvoice-4.10.0000.32327.5fc3fe7c.539691-windows64-539691.tar.bz2

32bit versions

checking slvoice
downloading slvoice:
  http://automated-builds-secondlife-com.s3.amazonaws.com/ct2/55968/524423/slvoice-4.10.0000.32327.5fc3fe7c.539691-windows-539691.tar.bz2
     to c:\users\marissa\appdata\local\temp\install.cache.Marissa\slvoice-4.10.0000.32327.5fc3fe7c.539691-windows-539691.tar.bz2
10 MB / 10 MB (100%)
verifying slvoice
installing slvoice
extracting from slvoice-4.10.0000.32327.5fc3fe7c.539691-windows-539691.tar.bz2

The only exception (that I know of) is the Windows binaries included in the Linux version of Firestorm are for SLVoice 4.6 to be used in Wine as an alternative to the old native SLVoice 3.2 which is old and troublesome.

23 minutes ago, MarissaOrloff said:

The only exception (that I know of) is the Windows binaries included in the Linux version of Firestorm are for SLVoice 4.6 to be used in Wine as an alternative to the old native SLVoice 3.2 which is old and troublesome.

Ahh, seems the problem for me personally was that perhaps a month ago or so, something seems to have flipped my FSLinuxEnableWin32VoiceProxy debug setting from true to false. flipped it back to get voice working again. . . not that I'll ever use it. 🤮

8 minutes ago, Quistess Alpha said:

Ahh, seems the problem for me personally was that perhaps a month ago or so, something seems to have flipped my FSLinuxEnableWin32VoiceProxy debug setting from true to false. flipped it back to get voice working again. . . not that I'll ever use it. 🤮

To use SLVoice 3.2 native in Linux you just need to install the correct 32 bit libraries as voice in Linux is all 32 bit. 

Below is from a notecard I made detailing how setup SLVoice in Linux without Wine

Ubuntu 21.04 and Mint 20.2 (older versions will work also)

**Start non wine installation**

1) sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

2) Download https://www.dropbox.com/s/ua11xl2yimf0iox/libortp9_3.6.1-3build1_i386.deb?dl=0

3) download https://www.dropbox.com/s/ejhd0traot4pusa/libortp-dev_3.6.1-3build1_i386.deb?dl=0

**if you do not trust the packages in my dropbox you are free to search for them on your own (libortp is not in the Ubuntu repositories for newer versions)  **

4) sudo dpkg -i libortp9_3.6.1-3build1_i386.deb

**fail but fine**

5) sudo dpkg -i libortp-dev_3.6.1-3build1_i386.deb

**fail again but fine**

6) sudo apt install -f    **fix broken dependencies**

7) sudo apt install lib32z1 libidn11:i386 libuuid1:i386 libsndfile1:i386 libstdc++6:i386 libpulse0:i386 

😎 run firestorm and enjoy!

5 minutes ago, MarissaOrloff said:

Old specific library versions

Yeah, mixing and matching old library versions with more recent ones is a sure-fire way to totally mess up your system. I'm not a linux-executable purist if the executable can't be recompiled for new library versions or at the very least statically linked.

Edited by Quistess Alpha

4 minutes ago, Quistess Alpha said:

Yeah, mixing and matching old library versions with more recent ones is a sure-fire way to totally mess up your system. I'm not a linux-executable purist if the executable can't be recompiled for new library versions or at the very least statically linked.

Its not going to mess anything up. Wine has already installed most of these to your system already with the exception of libidn11:i386 if I remember correctly.

9 minutes ago, MarissaOrloff said:

Wine has already installed most of these to your system already with the exception of libidn11:i386 if I remember correctly.

I thought your guide was without wine?

Edit: Actually seems like it's not neccesarily version problems but finding these weird libraries. interesting. Out of curiosity where are you getting your libvivoxsdk.so libvivoxplatform.so and libvivoxoal.so.1 from?

Edited by Quistess Alpha
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Quistess Alpha said:

I thought your guide was without wine?

Edit: Actually seems like it's not neccesarily version problems but finding these weird libraries. interesting. Out of curiosity where are you getting your libvivoxsdk.so libvivoxplatform.so and libvivoxoal.so.1 from?

Guide is for without Wine but many people have it installed anyways but would like to use native Linux for voice. Apt is not going to install an older version on top of a newer unless you chose to force it.

Those native Linux binaries come from Firestorms third party repository but they originate from LL when they last supported Linux. http://3p.firestormviewer.org/slvoice-3.2.0002.10426.298329-linux-20160717.tar.bz2

SLvoiceLinux.png

Edited by MarissaOrloff
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/29/2021 at 9:26 PM, MarissaOrloff said:

Those native Linux binaries come from Firestorms third party repository but they originate from LL when they last supported Linux. http://3p.firestormviewer.org/slvoice-3.2.0002.10426.298329-linux-20160717.tar.bz2

The URL is typed correctly, but the link seems not ( I think it' s missing the http:// - referral ).

Thanks very much for posting this ! It was absolutely essential to get SLVoice working with Debian 11 and without the Wine-solution. Kudos for posting !!

• 2 months later...

Hello. I am having the same problem. I looked at this thread and it provides pieces of information but I still don't know how to fix it. In my case I'm using Linux (Manjaro KDE) and tried both Kokua and Firestorm, native x64 versions as there's no need to emulate a Windows viewer on WINE when that exists. Looking at the log I can see the error mentioned above:

2021-12-27T16:05:27Z INFO #Voice# newview/winevoicevivox.cpp(616) LLVivoxVoiceClient::userAuthorized : name "mircea_lobo" , ID b0186c1c-e2d9-44a5-a895-760b42195974

The binary "bin/SLVoice" is present so I'm not sure what I might be missing. Do I also need to put the binary provided above in there? Anything else after that?

On 12/27/2021 at 11:21 AM, Mircea Lobo said:

Hello. I am having the same problem. I looked at this thread and it provides pieces of information but I still don't know how to fix it. In my case I'm using Linux (Manjaro KDE) and tried both Kokua and Firestorm, native x64 versions as there's no need to emulate a Windows viewer on WINE when that exists. Looking at the log I can see the error mentioned above:

2021-12-27T16:05:27Z INFO #Voice# newview/winevoicevivox.cpp(616) LLVivoxVoiceClient::userAuthorized : name "mircea_lobo" , ID b0186c1c-e2d9-44a5-a895-760b42195974

The binary "bin/SLVoice" is present so I'm not sure what I might be missing. Do I also need to put the binary provided above in there? Anything else after that?

SLVoice is Linux native (vivox 3.2) are you trying to use linux native or the windows version in wine? Linux native is 32 bit only. Win you have a choice or 32 of 64 bit.

marissa@marissa-G901:~/Downloads/Phoenix_FirestormOS-MarissaCustomBuildCLANGAVX2FMOD_x86_64_6.5.2.65509/bin$ file SLVoice
SLVoice: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib/ld-linux.so.2, for GNU/Linux 2.6.8, not stripped

marissa@marissa-G901:~/Downloads/Phoenix_FirestormOS-MarissaCustomBuildCLANGAVX2FMOD_x86_64_6.5.2.65509/bin/win32$ file SLVoice.exe
SLVoice.exe: PE32 executable (GUI) Intel 80386 (stripped to external PDB), for MS Windows

marissa@marissa-G901:~/Downloads/Phoenix_FirestormOS-MarissaCustomBuildCLANGAVX2FMOD_x86_64_6.5.2.65509/bin/win64$ file SLVoice.exe
SLVoice.exe: PE32+ executable (GUI) x86-64 (stripped to external PDB), for MS Windows

Edited by MarissaOrloff

I have been able to reacquire voice up to 4 x I, am however not using Linux. I lost voice and my dot over my head on Dec 30th.

I have spent over 6 plus hours messing with this isue.

# 1. Attempt as follows go to a firestorm sandbox ---- > http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Firestorm Sandbox/157/126/2702

# 2. Avatar > Prefrences > Sound & Media > Sounds > Output Device > May have to change to either " Default " or Whatever your headset is as listed. Example " Turtle Beach".

# 3. Avatar > Preferences > Sound & Media > Voice > Audo Device Settings >  Input & Output > May need to change to either Default or Whatever your headset is as listed. Example " Turtle Beach".

#4. Avatar > Preferences > Sound & Media > Voice > Enable Voice 

# 5 . Solution # 2 and # 3 will have to be done either way by swapping Default to Headset or back again.

I have been able reverify this solution twice so far today and I, do get voice back.

Theory -------> Output Device Bugged ?.
Theory -------> Vivrox Issue ?.

All Errors that I, have noticed are all Vivrox Error Coding.

Please verify if solution has worked for you.

Note # Temporary Fix, may have to re-repeat the solution.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 845 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.