POWER AND ITS EFFECTS

Luna Bliss

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 977 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just watched this video and it reminded me of that bathroom debate thread we had on the forums a while back. On the topic of power and it's effects at 13:30 of the video dude says you people are just super people. lol Best line in the whole video. lol👍😁😂🤣😎

7 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

Definitely not in the UK! It's a male greeting...I think it's common in Australia too

Mate is a lot more complex a word in Australia than its use in the UK. Over here it is gender neutral (though some older generations tend to only use it for males). Mate can refer over here to a stranger, a friend, a friends friend, a non existent person, someone you hate, someone who you forgot their name etc. Then there is the whole tone of how it is spoken can make it mean something different entirely as does the extension of it such as maaate.

So whilst it may be only for males in the UK, it is definitely not the case in Australia.

• Thanks 5

The Summer Day

Who made the world?
Who made the swan, and the black bear?
Who made the grasshopper?
This grasshopper, I mean--
the one who has flung herself out of the grass,
the one who is eating sugar out of my hand,
who is moving her jaws back and forth instead of up and down --
who is gazing around with her enormous and complicated eyes.
Now she lifts her pale forearms and thoroughly washes her face.
Now she snaps her wings open, and floats away.
I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
With your one wild and precious life?

—Mary Oliver

See, the most horrible thing in the world is when people are unable to realize their power, to be EMPOWERED, to be able to do something meaningful and fulfilling with their "one wild and precious life".

There are times we need to change a dynamic within ourselves to regain our power, and other times we need to encourage society to change when certain elements in it overpower others and keep them from being themselves.

Edited by Luna Bliss

On 8/11/2021 at 11:53 AM, Velk Kerang said:

I'm not saying our problems in the world are totally solved. Far from it in fact. I am saying that to me the word oppress is a strong word and it doesn't apply to today's problems. Are there injustices? Absolutely and they need to be addressed. Are people oppressed? Not even close. People have freedom and people have choices. That is a far cry from oppression. The world is unjust and there are people who prey up on others and those are the people that need to be stopped.👍

If you look up the definition of "oppression" it does not always define the most severe kinds of oppression you're imagining the word to mean. 

Oppression -- "the state of being subject to unjust treatment or control."

There is much oppression in society -- all kinds of power abuses exist. If you are prevented from choosing a healthy course of action this is oppressive.

Take, for example, the 'groping-Cuomo' of late, the mayor that kept hitting on his subordinates. These women can resist, say no, but often these Cuomo types will then fire them, or not give a positive recommendation for further employment. And so their life will be affected in a negative way. Perhaps they will be unable to find another job due to this kind of abuse which is all too prevalent in the work environment.

I really don't get your comment to Pixel Sideways on the other thread where you claimed women involved in game development don't encounter misogyny, as the misogyny has been well documented. 

• Like 2

On 8/11/2021 at 11:53 AM, Velk Kerang said:

I am well aware the world has problems. I just won't subscribe to it's any one groups fault. It's all our faults. We are all equally responsible for the world we create and live in. The real question people need to ask themselves is what are you going to do about it to make this world a better place? That change will take place when we all stand together. No more groups. Just the people. That's when we'll have real peace my friend.😎

Groups that have been denigrated in society band together to cope with the effects of the powerful taking advantage of them, in order to gain strength. It helps to have the support of likeminded people in your corner who understand what you're going through, both for support and for offering solutions. Having gone through similar experiences they're more likely to come up with valid solutions.

By saying "no more groups" you are advocating that they give up what can empower them to make their lives better.

14 hours ago, Velk Kerang said:

Getting my participation in this thread back on track I just wanted to say thanks again for the links. While I am a hard sale on anything the media says I did go over them. While I was doing that I did listen to this video and found a lot of what he said that had relevant points to our conversation. So I thought I'd share it in case you or anyone wanted to give it a listen.😎

Great video explaining what power is.

On 8/11/2021 at 12:06 PM, Ayeleeon said:
On 8/11/2021 at 10:21 AM, Luna Bliss said:

Getting rid of government is not a panacea.

I am pretty sure the word I used was reduce, not eliminate. I mean it looks like reduce on my computer. I know it can often be easier just to change what someone says and then argue against your own version, but no one here would do that.

Would it have been easier to understand if I had said "getting rid of SOME government is not a panacea"?  Because that is what I meant. I've never thought you were an anarchist.  I see you as a libertarian (because of your typical solution to all problems and a link to a libertarian website you posted on another thread).

Libertarians tend to think the solution to all problems in the world is to get rid of 'some government'.  The problems are far more complex and varied, but I never see this acknowledged on libertarian websites.

13 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

Look at this American attack on our little island 😡:o

Well I'll have you know that there are some kids in the US talking in British accents due to this cartoon series from the UK named Peppa Pig.

My grandson did it...we didn't know what was going on in his toddler brain to suddenly switch modes, but sometimes he'd simply say sentences with a British accent and using words not typically prevalent in the US, like...

"Mutha, shall we visit the shops today"?

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

Goodness, we couldn't just hand out power to the riffraff crawling at the bottom of the barrel. Where would it all end?

<Holds up the sarcasm sign. Half-heartedly>

6 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Great video explaining what power is.

Thank you. I found it interesting because it gave me a different perspective on how people view this topic especially in terms of their use of the word oppression.

Groups that have been denigrated in society band together to cope with the effects of the powerful taking advantage of them, in order to gain strength. It helps to have the support of likeminded people in your corner who understand what you're going through, both for support and for offering solutions. Having gone through similar experiences they're more likely to come up with valid solutions.

By saying "no more groups" you are advocating that they give up what can empower them to make their lives better.

I am advocating that people practice what they preach. In true equality there are no need for groups if everyone works together. There is not a single group in existence who's agenda does not impede and infringe up in the rights of others. This is why they are all at war and constantly protesting each other and doing all sorts of vile crap because they feed in to the media hype the wants to keep an age old fire still burning. And people feed in to the nonsense. It's why we still have people crying about slavery. I had to get my oldest grandson correct on that nonsense and let him now out right. Ain't nobody enslaving you, but you.

People will watch shows like Star Trek and with out missing a beat I almost always hear someone say I wish we could live in a world like that where everyone worked together. I respond the same every single time. We can when we actually start working together. lol From a religious stand point last I checked the Bible I don't recall mention of there being a segregated Heaven or Hell. lol So people just need to wake up to reality and get it together.

If you look up the definition of "oppression" it does not always define the most severe kinds of oppression you're imagining the word to mean. 

Oppression -- "the state of being subject to unjust treatment or control."

There is much oppression in society -- all kinds of power abuses exist. If you are prevented from choosing a healthy course of action this is oppressive.

Take, for example, the 'groping-Cuomo' of late, the mayor that kept hitting on his subordinates. These women can resist, say no, but often these Cuomo types will then fire them, or not give a positive recommendation for further employment. And so their life will be affected in a negative way. Perhaps they will be unable to find another job due to this kind of abuse which is all too prevalent in the work environment.

I really don't get your comment to Pixel Sideways on the other thread where you claimed women involved in game development don't encounter misogyny, as the misogyny has been well documented. 

If I were to take today's politically correct version of the word oppression and apply it then every living thing on this planet has been a oppressed and every single living thing is an oppressor. We are all oppressors and we are all oppressed using that logic. Which validates my point that we are all equally responsible for the state of the world we live in today.

I mean that definition is just crazy to me. It opens a Pandora's box for it to be applied to just about anything. I can see it now walking in the store with your kids and one of them acts up so you get them under control. There is going to always be that one clown who yells out. Stop oppressing that child! lol No. Just no. lol😂

I'm sorry that's just crazy to me. When I think of oppression I think of having my freedom and rights taken away unjustly. To me that is real oppression and we still have our freedoms and rights in this country. Perhaps to much even. That's why people are getting away with so much crazy crap. That problem will still exist as long as people refuse to work together.

In all honesty if the government ever found their guts and decided to institute martial law for a period then I'd be all for it. Because in all reality some of this craziness just needs to cease. Because if they don't then what's going to happen is the half of the country loosing their minds is going to end up in a war with the other half of it that is way past getting fed up with their BS. I personally hope it don't come to all of that, but sooner or later somethings got to give.

Now on the topic of my comment to Pixel Sideways I never said women don't encounter misogyny. I just do not agree it is the cess pool she believes it to be. Misogyny is the hatred and prejudice against women. More often then not it is a term used loosely and doesn't apply to the situation at hand.

A prime example sits right in this very thread. I was accused of it when I showed none. The young lady I got in to it with on the topic of security. I was accused of not liking it when women stand up to me, disagreeing with her, being narcissistic, egotistical, and misogynistic. Why? Because I corrected her and explained how a security evacuation would work? A field I actually worked in. That only key personnel would be left behind? I even validated and agreed with what she said letting her know that if that applied to her she would receive same pay as a man. Otherwise she would evacuate with the rest of the team. Makes sense right?

Was it good enough? No. She wanted to insist EVERYBODY is getting paid the same and EVERYBODY is just going to be on that bloody ship. lol Seriously? lol I mean I am honestly surprised I did not get accused of mansplaining (That made up word I love so much. lol) because that's always another popular word that gets tossed around. lol She was insistent she was going to womansplain some stuff to me though. lol😁

All jokes a side though my point to that being is I do not believe these labels always apply to every situation and that it is on the mega level people claim it to be. We've all ran in to our fair share of jerks in the work place. I shared one of my experiences in an earlier post. So I think to make a claim that the ENTIRE gaming industry is misogynistic to me that is a bold and offensive statement that belittles the honest men of the industry.

Which I take on a semi-personal level simply because after I retired from the security field I worked in the gaming industry for some years doing tech support for Microsoft XBox. Every lady I personally worked with was treated with the utmost respect by their male co-workers including myself. They don't tolerate that kind of crap there. So no, everybody who works in the gaming industry who is male is not a misogynist. I am not a misogynist. I do not hate women.👍

They got plenty of jerks on that corporate level though. No shortage of that. lol I should know I lit up on one in front of my boss over his manners and how he talked to people. lol That dude learned fast. Never mess with me when I am in the middle of working on a customers account. It's all about them and not you. lol That was a funny situation though. You just had to be there. I had my boss so quiet you could hear a pin drop. lol🤣😎

Edited by Velk Kerang
Corrections.

The problems are far more complex and varied,

Indeed they are, which is why centralized solutions that apply to millions fall short. It is better to allow issues to be dealt with locally, that way solutions can be better taylored to the specific needs of the community.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Velk Kerang said:

When I think of oppression I think of having my freedom and rights taken away unjustly. To me that is real oppression and we still have our freedoms and rights in this country. Perhaps to much even. That's why people are getting away with so much crazy crap. That problem will still exist as long as people refuse to work together.

In all honesty if the government ever found their guts and decided to institute martial law for a period then I'd be all for it. Because in all reality some of this craziness just needs to cease. Because if they don't then what's going to happen is the half of the country loosing their minds is going to end up in a war with the other half of it that is way past getting fed up with their BS. I personally hope it don't come to all of that, but sooner or later somethings got to give.

this begins as an argument for a homogenous society. Then it veers into an argument for a totalitarian society

when members of society go beyond the homogenous norms/rules of the society then we impose the norm/rules on them. This is totalitarianism

Edited by Mollymews
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

this begins as an argument for a homogenous society. Then it veers into an argument for a totalitarian society

when members of society go beyond the homogenous norms/rules of the society then we impose the norm/rules on them. This is totalitarianism

I get where your going with this. I feel ya. That having been said people can't keep going unchecked. Especially with this Covid crisis going on right now. Sooner or later it's going to be boots to assess time. Which is why it is imperative people can learn to come together of their own accord peacefully so it never comes to that.👍😎

Ima actually post some videos of some of the ignorant stuff going on in the world during Covid. I watched these last night when I found that channel and was seeing what type of content they produced. Now I laughed at this stuff, but when you sit down and actually think about it that's some pretty sad nonsense going on. lol🤦‍♂️😎

Now the first one is for my BLM peoples. BLM nailed it on this one. I'll give credit where credit is due. This is the stuff you protest. lol👍

And this one is for my Wal-Mart peoples. lol May have to actually pull this one up on Youtube.👍

This one I decided to add just as an example of how power is used to promote racism.👍

Edited by Velk Kerang
Corrections.

3 hours ago, Velk Kerang said:

Now the first one is for my BLM peoples. BLM nailed it on this one. I'll give credit where credit is due. This is the stuff you protest. lol👍

I actually had a couple of klanny members show me their membership cards before..

I didn't even know they had a membership card until the first time I had a run in with one..

I'm not gonna go into the story of what all happened because I've told it in here a couple times before already..

But I realized, To get a klanny to show you their membership card, after they tell you they are in the Klan, say something like, You're not in the klan..

In my experiences, they'll go right for the wallet and pull it out..

One thing that baffles me though.. I always seem to run into Klanny's in the grocery store.. Then they show me their card, then my husband always  walking them out of the store by the neck.. After he makes them Apologize first..

Then me saying something like, Honey please don't kill That man!! please.

That's the super duper short version..

hehehe

That weakass fat man in that first video..OMG if that was our door, we'd probably have to clean the crap off the sidewalk as soon as my man came to the door.. Because that guy wouldn't know whether to Shiat or go blind..

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Mollymews said:

Technically totalitarianism is any system (specifically system because the ideologies can vary, despite what political partisans will claim) that seeks totality over human social and personal life. Hannah Arendt defines it far better than I could however and she compares and contrasts both the Soviet and 3rd Reich systems as examples of totalitarianism. 

Let's not dilute the definition by implying that imposing rules/norms equals totalitarianism. In the latter, the former can certainly be used as mechanisms to achieve totality, but they're also useful as mechanisms to ensure that rule of law can function in a democracy. It's much like a knife - if you can excuse my analogy. You can use a knife as a weapon and some are made to be that way. But they are also useful tools that have enhanced the lives of billions. 

I think originally European fascist parties used "totalitarian" to mean they would unite and govern on behalf of the totality of the nation (hence "totalitarian") rather than on behalf of any particular class,  religious, economic, or regional interest group, whose parties, they said, were ruining everything by pursuing selfish, factional, interests.

Leninist and Stalinist parties took a different approach, whereby the workers owned and controlled everything, with the Central Committee of the Communist Party exercising power on their  behalf.    

The problem with both, of course, is that neither system can handle internal conflicts of interest very well, since different groups  within a society inevitably have different interests and goals, and conflict and change are constants, but constants that the totalitarians -- who have abolished internal conflict, after all -- can interpret only as the result of sabotage and sedition practiced by agents of some external enemy, which is why totalitarian governments on both the left and right need an extensive and repressive internal security apparatus.  

Edited by Innula Zenovka

18 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I actually had a couple of klanny members show me their membership cards before..

I didn't even know they had a membership card until the first time I had a run in with one..

I'm not gonna go into the story of what all happened because I've told it in here a couple times before already..

But I realized, To get a klanny to show you their membership card, after they tell you they are in the Klan, say something like, You're not in the klan..

In my experiences, they'll go right for the wallet and pull it out..

One thing that baffles me though.. I always seem to run into Klanny's in the grocery store.. Then they show me their card, then my husband always  walking them out of the store by the neck.. After he makes them Apologize first..

Then me saying something like, Honey please don't kill That man!! please.

That's the super duper short version..

hehehe

That weakass fat man in that first video..OMG if that was our door, we'd probably have to clean the crap off the sidewalk as soon as my man came to the door.. Because that guy wouldn't know whether to Shiat or go blind..

I think I remember that story before. Because I think I mentioned thinking your husband sounds like someone I would get a long with. lol I found that first video hilarious because it reminded me of the first year I got married. One of my first marital issues if we can even call it that, that got solved like a boss. lol😁

We had this neighbor who every time I seen him he always seemed like a nice dude. Back then I had just got my first job working on cars and my wife was telling me that when I was gone to work he'd be over there saying stuff to her complaining and getting nasty and stuff. Now what she was describing to me didn't sound right and I am like you sure it was him? She's said yes and told me it always seems to happen when I am at work.🤦‍♂️

So I didn't say nothing. The next day I woke up and called in a sick day. Wife was looking at me like your not going to work? Surprised because I don't normally call in a sick day. I love my money. lol I was like nah I'm just going to take a pause for the cause. She asks me if I needed anything and I told I just need to rest and I am going to stay right here in the back. Just go up front and do what you normally do. Act like I am not even here. And the way I said it I could tell by her facial expression she knew something was off because I stressed the act like I ain't even here part. lol👍😉

So I'm in the back and bust open the funny papers because that's the most important part of the papers and go in to chill mode. lol I'd say it was about maybe a few hours later there is this banging on the door. None stop banging. I mean the type of banging like there is a serial killer outside the house and the person outside is begging to be let in the of banging except it was that angry banging. lol🤦‍♂️

Terminator mode activated. lol With no pause or skips in my stride I immediately get up and walk at a fast pace towards the door. I see my wife standing up the hall and I say nothing. I just point the way for her to move. I musta had the crazy eyes because she immediately relocated. lol I grab the door handle and sling it open with a nice military drill sergeant type of yell informing him you have lost your forking mind. As this while still in motion. Remember no pause or skips in my stride.👍

Dude about falls over trying to get from me. He gains his balance and actually runs back to his yard as if he is being chased in a horror movie. I'm still walking. Same pace now. No pause or skips in my stride. lol👍

I stop dead on the property line. He's half way already threw his yard about to be in the other neighbors yard. lol He see's I stopped and he stops trying to catch his breath. I inform him if he ever sets foot in my yard again or comes at my wife in the manner of which he did that I will stop at the property line next time.👍

I also made him aware that next time I'd beat his behind with my door he loved to bang on so much and that in the future when dealing with my wife he can send his wife over and the women can hash out any issues between our house holds. And that we WILL be staying out of it.👍

I turned back around and walked right back inside. Told my wife I'm feeling much better now. I think I'll be going back to work tomorrow. lol Let me know if ya have any other issues. Mission accomplished. lol👍😁

That dude never once set foot in the yard again after that and while she seemed to think he was one of those type of men who like to bully women I told her I'm not gonna say he's not, but I'm not entirely sure he is either. The reason I gave for that was because I've heard how his own wife talks to him. It was pretty rough. I want to say I even heard her fussing at him when he went back in his house as I was walking off after that altercation.🤦‍♂️

I don't know if it's a case of dude being what they call a beta male now days and his family jewels are just in his wife's purse or if it's an abusive relationship type of situation or what. I will say I believe his wife sent him over which is why I told my wife that was the reason I let him know to send her over from now on. I think his wife put him in that situation and he almost copped a beating for it so looking at it from that angle I kind of feel bad for dude. lol🤦‍♂️

If out of either of them if I were going to suspect one of being racist it'd definitely be her. Before that he was always real nice, but she'd always give these nasty looks at us if we spoke. I wouldn't be surprised to find out dude snapped on her one day. I couldn't live with someone who talked to me the way she talked to him. In terms of power she definitely had it in that relationship. lol All I can really say is after all these years I hope they grew as people and got their act together.👍😎

Edited by Velk Kerang
Corrections.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 977 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.