How I built my new deep water (grotto) Home!

Alma Palmira

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 826 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

About a month ago on another thread I reminisced about owning a deep water grotto that I once lived in. After thinking about it, I decided it was time for a change and and purchased a deep water location for my new home. After sharing the process of how I built it, It was suggested that I post it in the community forums. It's really nothing spectacular, but for better or worse here it is.

Step one: I thumbnail sketched on my iPad what I roughly wanted to accomplish. 

1 rl sketch

Step 2: I purchased a deep water mainland plot and prim sketched it to fit. I then saved it and imported it into Blender as a .dae file. 

2 SL sketch

Step 3: Part of my Idea was to create a dome with a quasi-organic feel to the lattice work. I created this in Adobe Illustrator, saved as a .SVG file, imported it into Blender and used the vector as a projected knife cut onto my dome. 

3 vector cut for dome

Step 4: I created a "duck blind" based on my SL 3D sketch that would match my parcel location and texture. 

4 blender model

Step 5: Underneath the "duck blind" I integrated the grotto and dome as well as a few architectural accents. 

5 blender model 2

Step 6: I textured the dome and lit inside of the grotto. 

6 in place

Step 7: Furnished and finished. I was lucky enough to have 90% of my furniture in inventory so furnishing it went quickly. I went with a eclectic Art Studio feel, that had a few conversation areas and places to hang up selections of my RL illustration portfolio as well as a few paintings that I really like. 

7 built finish

I love my new home! Feel free to ask questions or visit in World. (Located in my picks in Profile.)  It will never be really finished. I will constantly be diddling with new things. But it feels great to be secluded under the sea!

Edited by Alma Palmira
clarification
  • Like 29

47 minutes ago, So Whimsy said:

That is absolutely amazing and something I'd love to live in myself! There's too little underwater home options :(

Thank you and I agree. I also didn’t want anything hard science fiction like, nor did I want a mermaid lagoon, nor a sunken relic. I wanted something organic that looked like it belonged on the ocean bottom, integrated with it instead of built on top of it and I wanted warm cozy comfort. I’ve built plenty of things that missed the mark, but it was nice how this came together almost effortlessly. I’ll be happy to call this home for a few years. 

• Like 7

On 8/9/2021 at 11:48 AM, Alma Palmira said:

6 in place

OK, see, this could ALSO be an underground bunker, because of the rock you built.  Or something to put on a mountaintop if you flatten the top of the mountain a bit.

Today's my 15-year rez-day, and I STILL can't build beyond basic prims.  So well done, dude. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Candide LeMay said:

I like it. It seems deep water parcels are quite rare.

They're out there, but most just put a deck on top of it and build a house.  Few build below the waters.  And the rarest of all are when it's the Lindens who've built a highway underwater.

2022034829_SunkenHighway4_003.thumb.png.df40456b1151d401d9672239e01fdb00.png

735460313_SunkenHighway4_005.thumb.png.d889d25e49d5fd882ba4c7f50462dab4.png

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Candide LeMay said:

I like it. It seems deep water parcels are quite rare.

They can be, and expensive too. I found one that had an astronomical price on it, and made a fair counteroffer. We negotiated a bit and then it was mine. I love how dark it gets at these depths. Also, like a sky box there are rarely neighbors sucking up FPS. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

They're out there, but most just put a deck on top of it and build a house.  Few build below the waters.  And the rarest of all are when it's the Lindens who've built a highway underwater.

2022034829_SunkenHighway4_003.thumb.png.df40456b1151d401d9672239e01fdb00.png

735460313_SunkenHighway4_005.thumb.png.d889d25e49d5fd882ba4c7f50462dab4.png

Where is this? I would love to explore.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

OK, see, this could ALSO be an underground bunker, because of the rock you built.  Or something to put on a mountaintop if you flatten the top of the mountain a bit.

Today's my 15-year rez-day, and I STILL can't build beyond basic prims.  So well done, dude. 

Thank you very much. My last home was a fallout bunker buried beneath a grove of pine trees. I guess I have a thing for secret hiding places. 
Building has always been a great way for me to self medicate. Very zen-like. I still love to cobble prims togethers. My inventory object folder is full of “object” builds that go nowhere. Lol. BTW, happy Rez-day! They should give us awards at 15 years. 

Edited by Alma Palmira
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anyhow, It's a small multiregional lake on Jeogorut or whatever the "J" shaped continent is called:

1400547478_UnderwaterLindenRoute9-wheretofindit.thumb.png.a772ededee043748be1baf3a7f929c74.png

357658612_UnderwaterLindenRoute9-wheretofindit2.thumb.png.0de03018b1bf2b6dbb1860a61298bf16.png

South End Slurl:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Seoraksan/54/12/59

North End Slurl:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Dongyeongju/214/162/51

Or, to get to the part of the Linden Underwater Tube that's by my place:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Seoraksan/39/252/4

1647271517_underwaterLindenRoute9_010.thumb.png.92c9d69180d1bb5ec8c21d70b15dde9a.png

Note that this is one of the few spots where the tube is phantom, so you can walk right through to my parcel.

Or, if you'd rather go direct to the above-water part of my parcel, on the dock (as I've yet to get around to furnishing the inside of the lighthouse):

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Seoraksan/19/248/21

Lighthouse by the Linden Underwater Tube

"This is the second lighthouse built here, as the first was destroyed when it was hit by debris from FlyUs flight 561."

There are a few treasures to see if you walk, drive, or swim along the route.  Here's one of my favorites:

1655696215_underwaterLindenRoute9_004-smaller.thumb.jpg.db010d65bc3810061aafc4cf5fded325.jpg

And YES, @Feorie Frimon, the Route 9 pods occasionally DO travel this underwater highway! 😲

Edited by Rabid Cheetah
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Chroma Starlight said:

How'd you manage to pump out the water?

Ah… well, by circulating water from outside, through my water columns inside, I create a positive pressure envelope that effectively keeps me warm and dry. 
as a side note… if you are “flying/floating” underwater in my home and your AO includes a swimmer, you will breaststroke from chair to chair. SL is all about embracing compromises 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 826 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.