What has SL taught you about the world?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 981 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

We were expected to take Latin in high school if we were headed to college.  I still don't understand why, but I'm glad that I did it for four years.  That and French.  When I got to college, hardly anyone had taken Latin, but there were plenty who had studied French, so I kept on with it. I also took German for three years.  I was at the tail end of the last generation who were required to pass reading exams in two foreign languages for grad school, so French and German made those easy. Over the years, I have learned enough Spanish and Swedish through travel and friendships to be comfortable in slow conversation and to manage shop talk and ask directions. I wish I had studied both more formally, so I could handle grammar more gracefully. Sadly, Silent's right -- it's easy to lose language skills if you don't use them very often.  I find myself getting tongue-tied and stammering a lot in other languages these days, and I tend to find words from the wrong language.  I occasionally find places in SL where they come in handy, but my written skills are nowhere near as good as my verbal ones, and I never use voice.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 981 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.