Name change privacy issues

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 980 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 hours ago, MoiraKathleen said:

This may be a repeat of what live chat told you, but it may be helpful for others reading who may have a similar problem:

First, be sure that you have the person muted and blocked.  Second, change the places that you frequent and make sure that you do not have your house or the new places that you frequent in your picks (or as a location for pics posted on the mysecondlife.com feed, if you use that).   It's also possible that one of your other friends is communicating with the stalker, giving the stalker updated information about where you hang out at, so you may want to temporarily hang out with different people, or by yourself, for a bit to see if that makes a difference or not.  Also, make sure you are not wearing anything that the stalker may have given you, or that there is not anything on your parcel that was left by the stalker. 

In terms of AR's, I think the key is being persistent and filing a clear and calm AR each time there is a stalker incident, with the report being factual and non-emotional.  It will take a series of well-filled out AR's over a period of time in order for LL to be able to see that there is a pattern of stalking, even after you have impelemented all of the viewer/land tools for preventing harrassment and/or stalking. 

The thing is the issue didn't happen on SL but the stalker found my SL profile and my forum profile and used the links to both to share on a different platform other than SL I can't really make an AR issue on that unless using the platform which it was shared on without my permission which I did contact them and the platform did nothing to stop it. Hence why the staff in live chat for SL told me to make everything private for SL users or friends to see. 

2 minutes ago, xxVi3perxx said:

The thing is the issue didn't happen on SL but the stalker found my SL profile and my forum profile and used the links to both to share on a different platform other than SL I can't really make an AR issue on that unless using the platform which it was shared on without my permission which I did contact them and the platform did nothing to stop it. Hence why the staff in live chat for SL told me to make everything private for SL users or friends to see. 

Sorry I didn't catch that the issue was from your profiles being shared on a platform outside SL.  That does make it a lot more complicated (and is another reason to be very careful about what type of RL info is put on profiles).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xxVi3perxx said:

In this case, then it's a lesson learned and your only real course of action would be to do as originally suggested - swallow the financial losses and make an alt. Even if it's temporary, for just a few months, it might be enough. The important thing, if you do make an alt, is break all contact with everyone and every place you know. Don't contact even your closest friends - it may be them who are passing information on to your stalker. Tell them you're taking a few months out of SL. Don't visit any places that you go to on your main. Don't live in the same place. Don't join the same groups. And share NOTHING AT ALL about your RL in future.

If you can't do these things then you really should take a break from SL altogether, for the same amount of time. Don't log in at all, with ANY account. Whichever option you choose, your stalker will probably get bored eventually, and move on. 

Given that your stalker is sharing cross-platform, it may be wise to at the same time take a break from other social media too. Read it by all means , and contact people by private message if you must, but don't post anything public.

There's one more option to consider, but it takes guts - and that's to completely ignore the fact that your stalker is crossposting stuff about you, and just carry on regardless. Act like you simply don't care.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Maitimo said:

There's one more option to consider, but it takes guts - and that's to completely ignore the fact that your stalker is crossposting stuff about you, and just carry on regardless. Act like you simply don't care.

This. It's really far easier to do than it sounds. The more you ignore them, the more outrageous they get and then you find yourself laughing at their idiocy. Once you can laugh at them, walking away is a cinch.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Maitimo said:

In this case, then it's a lesson learned and your only real course of action would be to do as originally suggested - swallow the financial losses and make an alt. Even if it's temporary, for just a few months, it might be enough. The important thing, if you do make an alt, is break all contact with everyone and every place you know. Don't contact even your closest friends - it may be them who are passing information on to your stalker. Tell them you're taking a few months out of SL. Don't visit any places that you go to on your main. Don't live in the same place. Don't join the same groups. And share NOTHING AT ALL about your RL in future.

If you can't do these things then you really should take a break from SL altogether, for the same amount of time. Don't log in at all, with ANY account. Whichever option you choose, your stalker will probably get bored eventually, and move on. 

Given that your stalker is sharing cross-platform, it may be wise to at the same time take a break from other social media too. Read it by all means , and contact people by private message if you must, but don't post anything public.

Yeah as I said I am not going to make an alt, I spent so much money I can care less about spending more money when I am currently working on a project and opening it up to the public. As for RL information I never gave it out to her she found out somehow that I am on SL and I left the other platform fully gone from there. I still have some friends who are on the other platform that see her posting about me. It doesn't bother me much I am just going to keep on using SL regardless this project is taking up a lot of my time and I am focusing on that. 

Thank you for the advice.

Viper

22 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

This. It's really far easier to do than it sounds. The more you ignore them, the more outrageous they get and then you find yourself laughing at their idiocy. Once you can laugh at them, walking away is a cinch.

Just tell them, HAHA, you fell into my trap.. I tricked you into being obsessed with me, now I'm in your head forever baby, yeah!! \o/

hehehe

get-out-of-my-head_o_1976957.jpg&f=1&nof

If the platform is what I think it is (don't mention names or links please) then I would try filing a ticket with LL and make them aware. This is mostly about the fact that they do not take down personal information posted by someone else. Probably LL would be successful in having the site purged from google results at least.

Edited by Noelle Delaunay

4 minutes ago, Noelle Delaunay said:

If the platform is what I think it is (don't mention names or links please) then I would try filing a ticket with LL and make them aware. This is mostly about the fact that they do not take down personal information posted by someone else. Probably LL would be successful in having the site purged from google results at least.

LL has no saying about external posted information. Their TOS is only for their product.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Noelle Delaunay said:

What is posted on that site is likely to infringe LL copyright. LL can purge the site from google. Easy. Got it?

i have no idea what "that"site is .. so i can only tell what counts personal info as mentioned in the TOS.

[edit] if it is that weekly on sunday renewing gossip, drama and lies page... there's no copyright violation there.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

If that were true, anything people posted on Flickr would do the same.  

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. There are lots of "let's play" on youtube. And surprise. Every "let's play" on youtube is a copyright infringement. The thing is. The creators don't have an interest in taking them down. They're still copyright infringements. Just like screenshots.

• Haha 2

Just now, Noelle Delaunay said:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. There are lots of "let's play" on youtube. And surprise. Every "let's play" on youtube is a copyright infringement. The thing is. The creators don't have an interest in taking them down. They're still copyright infringements. Just like screenshots.

From the ToS.

You agree that Linden Lab is not responsible or liable for the Content, policies or practices of any third-party websites, servers or online services or environments. Please consult any applicable terms of use and privacy policies provided by the third party for such websites, servers or online services or environments.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Noelle Delaunay said:

Better just keep reacting to posts. A quick google search would have saved you the time to actually write out stuff.

Nope. A quick search would have told you that the majority of screenshots aren't copyright violations.

Find an actual case that was litigated - recently - where it was ruled otherwise. Or sit down.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Noelle Delaunay said:

You denied that screenshots impose a copyright infringement, and I showed you arguments why they are. The ToS have nothing to do with whether something is or is not a copyright infringement.

You do know they have a link right in the snapshot floater to upload directly to Flickr?  Also, you grant permission in general to have pictures taken of you or anything in SL.  Unless the REGION specifically disallows snapshots or the covenant, then it's fair game.  Machinima is a little different.

Linden Lab Official:Snapshot and machinima policy - Second Life Wiki

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

A quick search would have told you that the majority of screenshots aren't copyright violations.

So you're saying that publishing screenshots with the intent of disclosing somebody's private information is covered by fair use policy, because this would be the only case where a screenshot does not impose a copyright infringement. Ridiculous.

Edited by Noelle Delaunay
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Noelle Delaunay said:

So you're saying that publishing screenshots with the intend of disclosing somebody's private information is covered by fair use policy, because this would be the only case where a screenshot does not impose a copyright infringement. Ridiculous.

That would have to be taken up with the website that is posting those pictures/information.   LL has no control over what people put up and where outside of LL sites.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, Noelle Delaunay said:

Don't distract from the core of this discussion, which is that you said that those screenshots are not copyright infringements.

And they aren't.  From the Official Wiki.

Copyright Licenses

This is the legal permission that you can show the festival organizers or anyone else who’s interested:

As long as you comply with the terms and conditions below, both Linden Lab and the Residents of Second Life (collectively, “we”) grant you the following copyright licenses:

A License To Capture. You may take snapshots and capture machinima of the 3D content we created that is displayed in-world, and

A License To Use. You may use the resulting snapshot or machinima within or outside of Second Life in any current or future media.

“Use” means “use, reproduce, distribute, modify, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform.” For other definitions, see Definitions.

Both the License To Capture and the License To Use (collectively, the “Licenses”) are non-exclusive and royalty-free. In addition, the License To Use is worldwide, sublicenseable, and transferable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 980 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.