Name change privacy issues

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 959 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For personal reasons I have changed my main accounts name.  How can I stop people from looking up my old name and being redirected to my new name?  You would think with advanced scripting capability lindens can figure this out. I don’t want people going to my.secondlife.com/old.name and stalking me. Anyone know a solution thanks. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, SysyJewell said:

For personal reasons I have changed my main accounts name.  How can I stop people from looking up my old name and being redirected to my new name?  You would think with advanced scripting capability lindens can figure this out. I don’t want people going to my.secondlife.com/old.name and stalking me. Anyone know a solution thanks. 

there isn't a solution. If you were on friendslist or smaller groups people will figure out fast who you were or are. Also if they had a calling card.. you'll be found.
And also with the uuid you'll be found.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, SysyJewell said:

It was deliberately set so that people can always look up your old name. This was done to prevent fraud and ensure continuity for creators.

If you want no trace to your old name then what you need is a new alt account, not a name change.

• Like 10

I think there is no way to prevent people from finding you via your old name, all you can really do is on Mysecondlife is make your profile private to where friends can only see or second life community to see everything on your profile that is what I was told by staff when I made a ticket about it. 

3 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

It was deliberately set so that people can always look up your old name. This was done to prevent fraud and ensure continuity for creators.

If you want no trace to your old name then what you need is a new alt account, not a name change.

creating an alt isn't worth the funds most people like myself have spend hundreds of dollars for avatar items, rentals etc. I wouldn't want anyone to make an alt just to get away from stalkers that is my thought its a waste of time and money. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SysyJewell said:

Defeats the purpose of a name change.

No, it doesn't. The purpose of a name change is not and never has been as a way to hide or become anonymous from other people. It's purely for the option to get a name that you like.

10 minutes ago, xxVi3perxx said:

creating an alt isn't worth the funds most people like myself have spend hundreds of dollars for avatar items, rentals etc. I wouldn't want anyone to make an alt just to get away from stalkers that is my thought its a waste of time and money. 

8 minutes ago, SysyJewell said:

Oh well I have spent thousands of real life money on my main account, so not an option 

Its a matter of balance. If the value of privacy is worth more than the cost of re-equipping a new account, then that's the thing to do. If the cost of re-equipping a new alt is too much, then stay with the original one (but lose the privacy).  There isn't any way to achieve both at the same time.

If you are being harassed or stalked by someone, and you have firm evidence to show, then file an AR.

Edited by Maitimo
  • Like 15

4 minutes ago, xxVi3perxx said:

I think there is no way to prevent people from finding you via your old name, all you can really do is on Mysecondlife is make your profile private to where friends can only see or second life community to see everything on your profile that is what I was told by staff when I made a ticket about it. 

If they have the calling card making the profile private is useless. It just means it can't be searched by normal means and honestly it doesn't always work mate. lol Creating an alt is a valid suggestion. I got half of SL in my inventory and sometimes it's just nice to be on a clean avatar. The more you have in your inventory the more resources your viewer will require in order for you to load and function on the platform. So there is a performance trade off to it mate.😎

6 minutes ago, SysyJewell said:

Oh well I have spent thousands of real life money on my main account, so not an option 

If you know who your actually trying to avoid then I would suggest getting real friendly with the block and mute feature since obviously using an alt is not an option for you. Good luck mate.😎

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SysyJewell said:

Thanks. Defeats the purpose of a name change.

it's not been the purpose of a name change as Maitimo said .. but you cán use it still if you want a new start, but still have a fancy name... create a alt and give them a new name.. That person will be hidden for all who might have your tracable information.
But even in that case.. people are beings of habit. If the new account goes to places you went/go.. and acts like you did/do, there will always be people who get suspicious and figure out it is you.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, xxVi3perxx said:

I wouldn't want anyone to make an alt just to get away from stalkers that is my thought its a waste of time and money. 

To get away from stalkers or other undesirable people you wouldn't make the alt your full time account you would use it for a month or so staying well clear of your regular haunts. The people you are trying to get away from will likely give up trying to hassle you after a few weeks if you aren't there. 

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, SysyJewell said:

No. Only one possible purpose. 

If you want to start over, you'll need to create a new account and not associate with any of the people you know/knew on any other accounts you may have. That is how you "disappear" in SL.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

There is no privacy in SL.

There is to an extent. 

In SL, your privacy is what you make it for the most part.

If you share details of your RL, you won't have much privacy. 

If you don't want to be around people,  you can live on a private island (parcel). Use the land tools.

My point is simply this. You can have privacy in many ways in SL if you use the tools provided, you just can't hide who you are in RL from LL.

• Like 1

The offered Name Change is and always was about nothing more than vanity. It was never meant to be used to hide oneself from stalkers and the like.

If someone is stalking you, use the tools at hand to combat it. That also includes making sure you have your privacy settings, correctly set up and changing up your habits for a time.

Mute/Block as needed and do not respond to them in any way whatsoever.

The list goes on and on.

• Like 2

A new name for your avatar is cosmetic for a nice chunk of change.
Nothing more, nothing less.
There are people who buy lots of land, others jewellery or tons of clothing bodies and eyelashes. Some shell out for a new name.
Whatever floats your boat in SL, but is not to start a new life with an existing inventory.

3 hours ago, Maitimo said:

No, it doesn't. The purpose of a name change is not and never has been as a way to hide or become anonymous from other people. It's purely for the option to get a name that you like.

Its a matter of balance. If the value of privacy is worth more than the cost of re-equipping a new account, then that's the thing to do. If the cost of re-equipping a new alt is too much, then stay with the original one (but lose the privacy).  There isn't any way to achieve both at the same time.

If you are being harassed or stalked by someone, and you have firm evidence to show, then file an AR.

I have filed an AR nothing was done to prevent it thus I gave out the options someone told me to use via live chat a few months ago. Even on an alt I can't afford the items I have now because I have so much on my account that some of those items are not around anymore in MP or any stores I visited and mesh bodies are not that cheap to redo fully. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, xxVi3perxx said:

That only works on web profiles.  I can see all of anyone's profile using old profile format in Firestorm.  The only thing hidden would be your profile feed which I never pay attention to anyway and interests?  Not sure about interests but again, not something I normally check.   You CAN, however, hide groups which can make it a bit harder for people to find you if you are a member of clubs and such.  Your name, UUID, picks...all that can't be hidden.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, xxVi3perxx said:

I have filed an AR nothing was done to prevent it thus I gave out the options someone told me to use via live chat a few months ago. Even on an alt I can't afford the items I have now because I have so much on my account that some of those items are not around anymore in MP or any stores I visited and mesh bodies are not that cheap to redo fully. 

This may be a repeat of what live chat told you, but it may be helpful for others reading who may have a similar problem:

First, be sure that you have the person muted and blocked.  Second, change the places that you frequent and make sure that you do not have your house or the new places that you frequent in your picks (or as a location for pics posted on the mysecondlife.com feed, if you use that).   It's also possible that one of your other friends is communicating with the stalker, giving the stalker updated information about where you hang out at, so you may want to temporarily hang out with different people, or by yourself, for a bit to see if that makes a difference or not.  Also, make sure you are not wearing anything that the stalker may have given you, or that there is not anything on your parcel that was left by the stalker. 

In terms of AR's, I think the key is being persistent and filing a clear and calm AR each time there is a stalker incident, with the report being factual and non-emotional.  It will take a series of well-filled out AR's over a period of time in order for LL to be able to see that there is a pattern of stalking, even after you have impelemented all of the viewer/land tools for preventing harrassment and/or stalking. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

That only works on web profiles.  I can see all of anyone's profile using old profile format in Firestorm.  The only thing hidden would be your profile feed which I never pay attention to anyway and interests?  Not sure about interests but again, not something I normally check.   You CAN, however, hide groups which can make it a bit harder for people to find you if you are a member of clubs and such.  Your name, UUID, picks...all that can't be hidden.

Oh I didn’t know that.  How on firestorm?? 

14 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

To be somewhat fair, any TPV (and even the Linden Viewer) can see/use the older profile format, provided they have the older code and hooks.

Linden Lab never shut down the backend functions that make those work. - partly because the Web Profiles use most of the exact same information and structure.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SysyJewell said:

You can't.    Primarily to stop existing content from breaking, when LL introduced the ability to change names, at the same time they introduced the function llRequestUserKey(string name), which returns the user's UUID, which you can then use to look up their current username.

In other words,  people are supposed to be able to link old and new names if they want to.

All I can suggest is that you AR and block anyone who harasses  you, change your picks, avoid your old hang-outs for a while and explore some new places for a couple of weeks (possibly as an alt).    They'll soon get tired of it and forget about you and move  on to something else, and then you can start thinking about using your old account again.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, SysyJewell said:

Oh I didn’t know that.  How on firestorm?? 

Open your profile, double click on the group, locate the box that says "show in my profile" and uncheck it.

With that said, there's no easy solution for your problem, especially if that person is tightly connected with your social circles. I can say, though, that people tend to move on very quickly. Things feel stressful and difficult now, but I promise, they will settle down. 

Edited by Muffinstuff
typo

5 hours ago, SysyJewell said:

Think of an SL name change as the equivalent of a RL name change, not the equivalent of a RL witness protection program. When you legally change your RL name, there is a public record of the change, and anyone who is interested can look it up. In various places, like licenses, government records, etc., the name on the account changes, but it's the same account with the same history, including the history of previously having a different name.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 959 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.