Weight Loss Helped by SL Virtual Gym - BBC News

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4138 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I agree actually, (especially when so many people make disparaging comments about the 'middle aged, fat people' that apparantly populate SL) it seems a fitness programme supported by SL attendance at weight loss programmes is at least as successful as RL ones. That can only be good news for those who struggle a bit to lose weight ot get a bit fitter. And there's no need to suffer the looks and 'sympathy' of those super sleek ones who seem to hang out at the RL Gyms - putting us mere mortals off.

Right now I have no need to lose weight in either world, but I might check out the fitness aspect - getting back to running after over 2 years of absence due to ill health and injury I can do with all the support I can get :smileyhappy:

Deltango Vale wrote:

I'm so glad you posted this. It is the key to understanding the true value of virtual worlds: the power of metaphor.

Second Life is
90% percent reality at 10% the price

I want that quote - I love that quote...

and it's true too :smileyhappy:

Mags Indigo wrote:

Deltango Vale wrote:

I'm so glad you posted this. It is the key to understanding the true value of virtual worlds: the power of metaphor.

Second Life is
90% percent reality at 10% the price

I want that quote - I love that quote...

and it's true too :smileyhappy:

Deltango does that a lot; I've thought for some time she should open a side business creating Forum signatures (I already have mine that I got for free before I suggested reimbursement and I'll use it eventually).

I somehow missed that article but I agree it's quite interesting. And I'm not at all surprised. It is certainly true that when I do something in SL that works out well, or makes other people happy or me happy—hopefully simultaneously—my RL self feels better for it. Our virtual selves mean something to our actual selves.

ETA that what Jaylin said about the reinforcement of working with a group is probably also a big part; and yes, why not in SL?

Ha, you mean Linden Lab just doesn't get SL.

You and Mags are free to quote me for your signature lines if you wish.

If I were not using my signature for advertising, it would be:

"If there's a new way, I'll be the first in line, but it better work this time." - Dave Mustaine

Deltango Vale wrote:

Ha, you mean
Linden Lab just doesn't get SL

You and Mags are free to quote me for your signature lines if you wish.

If I were not using my signature for advertising, it would be:

"If there's a new way, I'll be the first in line, but it better work this time." - Dave Mustaine

LOL, you remembered! Actually I think the exact quote was, "Sometimes I think LL just doesn't get SL", and it was while we were talking about something  during the start of this version of the forums.

There were threads like Scylla's "Unqueering" and such. It looked as though one of most wonderful things about SL—the tolerance among most residents for lifestyles they didn't understand—was to be swept away. I'd have to say based on the evidence so far that we were both wrong, but it was such a beautifully funny line. I'm hanging on to it in any case.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4138 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.