SL Aviation Declining?

AnaM28

I really miss the days about  a year ago when I first joined SL.It was at Hollywood airport that I took my first SL flight.Those days u could see planes arriving and departing.I love airports like Whitestar,SL international,Axon.At the now removed old terminal of SLinternational I met lethra and joined SLBA.But now a can barely take any passengers and Airliners can be barely seen flying,Is there any problem with our aviation since sim crossing problems we used to encounter frequently are now less common and continents are being connected by linden homes which makes it a better experience to fly in the SL sky 

Well, I still fly regularly so this is just my personal take.. I think it comes down to a few factors.

Firstly, the area in which we can fly in SL has gotten bigger and bigger over the past few years, especially with the addition of Bellisseria, and the extra coastline down to Jeogeot. If you increase the area in which you can fly, but don't really increase the number of people flying by the same percentage, then technically you'll have less chance of seeing others flying around.

Secondly, aviation creators (except for a few), seem to have slowed down on their new creations over the last few years. Now, this could be due to a huge number of issues, but in my experience people always like to have the latest new item in SL, whether its clothes, mesh heads, or in this case, aircraft. With less creators turning out new products, there is less incentive for people to fly.

The passenger thing I admit is something I've never really understood. Flying is so much more fun that just sitting as a passenger, so it doesn't surprise me that there's more pilots than there is passengers in a lot of cases. I also think that many of these SL airlines do too many regular flights, to the same destinations over and over. The Hollywood to SNO airport is still the number one aircraft trip I see promoted, and frankly that's an utterly boring trip. I did passenger flights for a short period (when I had time), and found it better to offer a more random experience - going to more out of the way destinations, with a focus on showing passengers interesting things. Not too  many people are interested in seeing another airport, as most of them look the same ;)

Finally, again partially due to Bellisseria, I've noticed more people now exploring using boats or cars than ever before. This is helped further by several groups now operating in SL that promote group travel on a weekly basis. I'm guessing that a lot of people who own one type of vehicle often own other types as well, so it stands to reason that in the past, where they might have used aircraft almost exclusively , now their time is probably more divided between each type of transport.

Edited by Eowyn Southmoor
typos (what a surprise lol)
  • Like 1

Thanks that explains.Now I myself mostly fly alone and to non-airport destinations exploring different places.Landing a Cessna/Piper to somewhere never been before  is more fun compared to an airliner at another airport.The reason why I sometimes miss the old days is that I spent most of my first SL days traveling from place to place by air since I didn’t know much destinations then.But you’re right flying can be much more fun than just airline flight.A flight on my Piper cub can always bring me to places I’ve never imagined 

To add to what Eowyn said, It can  be a matter of time of the day for why there's not as many out and about. For example, I was out on Saturday afternoon @1pm slt  and saw several planes and heli's in the sky, and yet a limited few this morning. Also the AP at Norway was pretty busy over the weekend, so you may want to check out there...not to mention, it has one of the nicer runway systems. Plus there's always the Skyward Flying Club, they have group flight events somewhat regularly. (Nearly ran into them this past weekend in fact lol)

Edited by Vicious Hollow
typo's are contagious ...

• 3 weeks later...

Little late but I can chime in being a very long member of the "Aviation community"

I noticed your Question is very airline centric. and being honest i think that Fad has Flown away. What's popular in SL changes rapidly. And with the Advent of places like Belli and the intercontinental connection opening up where we can fly to spreading everyone out as mentioned before right now the from Belli to Satori is extremely difficult to navigate via larger planes. so the hot thing to do right now is flying smaller planes and helicopters solo and play the game continent hop to try to find a safe road for the bigger planes. 

while aviation is not as strong as it was 5 years ago were still kicking 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2021 at 7:23 AM, Atosuria Daviau said:

Little late but I can chime in being a very long member of the "Aviation community"

I noticed your Question is very airline centric. and being honest i think that Fad has Flown away. What's popular in SL changes rapidly. And with the Advent of places like Belli and the intercontinental connection opening up where we can fly to spreading everyone out as mentioned before right now the from Belli to Satori is extremely difficult to navigate via larger planes. so the hot thing to do right now is flying smaller planes and helicopters solo and play the game continent hop to try to find a safe road for the bigger planes. 

while aviation is not as strong as it was 5 years ago were still kicking 

Thankyou I checked out Belli and that is really different from most continents,maybe I should try new things other than what I used to do.road travel brings me to more destinations and I find it actually  much more fun than up in the sky .

• 1 month later...

The Airline thing was a lot of fun for a while and then came the long period where sim crossings were highly likely to leave you sitting at the bottom of the ocean and it kind of stopped being fun to do. There was also an issue similar to what the SL firefighting community is like. Somebody gets on a crew, fights a couple fires and then decides they want to be a fire chief. They then can't find anyone to join, and their fd dies. Same thing happened with the airlines. Passengers would fly a couple times, then think all they needed was an airliner and a livery and it would be gravy. No crew, flying for an airline of one gets boring fast. Airline goes away.  The crossing issue is mostly resolved, but RP groups like airlines take some work to manage and run. A lot of those who'd been doing it (myself included) moved on to other things.