Black Dragon issues again lol

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 981 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey ppl. I'm in Black Dragon at the moment and I'm taking a pic. The skybox/backdrop I'm using is set a few feet above the sandbox's ground, of course. But when I'm inside and I rotate the camera to get a decent position, the floor disappears, revealing the ground of the sandbox. My question: is this a display, camera or draw distance issue? I back out a bit and zoom in, all to get the right shot, and I quickly notice that certain items that I have placed down disappear the second I draw outward. At this moment, it's impossible to take pics in BD. Any advice will do.

Thanks.

1) Make sure the object doesn't have a bad LOD (many items do because creators don't care and don't optimize)

You can check this by going into preferences and changing the Object Quality settings

image.png.405bf5254249d837bc6117569cd67f6d.png

Make sure its set to High (2.0), i do not recommend setting it higher than High other than for taking pictures as it just supports bad LOD even more. For your picture purposes however it should be fine to set it to Ultra. Should that not be enough, turn off Dynamic Level of Detail, it will force all objects to use whatever quality you set.

2) Make sure this is not a complexity issue (Jellydolls)

image.png.e497cdfa11dc731288946ff8354ba65e.png

Set the Max. Object Surface (m²) to Unlimited, it is not very well known but this setting will derender objects if their surface area is too big, this is commonly used for some basic crash protection but crashers like that have become so rare that these settings have lost most of their value anyway.

3) Make sure it's not a mesh that's failing to load for some reason (or a sculpt whose texture fails to load)

In the case of meshes it might happen that any of their 4 LOD states break and corrupt, in which case they will be invisible or collapse to a single triangle, if all above fails, do a cache clear and relog.

In the case of sculpts, make sure your GPU memory isn't full and you allow the Viewer to use it to load the sculpt texture, otherwise it it can break at any moment (due to texture trashing). Make sure Automatic Memory Management is enabled and the memory display isn't full.

image.png.35cf1ce8f2356aeebae46b28901441d7.png

Edited by NiranV Dean

Thanks! I'm trying all of this right now. Two more problems I'm having in BD. My avatar's shadow is ridged, and the appearance line around her (and other items) is a bit ridged as well. Smooth in FS, but not so much in BD. But I'm sure it's just settings issues on my end.

Btw, I heard that you have a discord? Also heard that you respond quickly on discord? I'm thinking about joining that. I'm in the Black Dragon group in SL, but I'm not sure if ppl use it anymore.

Thanks for the help. 

7 hours ago, Leah Jhamin said:

Thanks! I'm trying all of this right now. Two more problems I'm having in BD. My avatar's shadow is ridged, and the appearance line around her (and other items) is a bit ridged as well. Smooth in FS, but not so much in BD. But I'm sure it's just settings issues on my end.

You can fix that by adjusting the shadow quality and distance from the settings menu or Machinima bar. It may differ depending on the angle and distance your shadow is so you'll have to play around.

P.s I'm using a bit outdated version of black dragon, but the settings are the same ^_^

ShadowQuality.JPG

On 8/8/2021 at 11:29 PM, Leah Jhamin said:

Btw, I heard that you have a discord? Also heard that you respond quickly on discord? I'm thinking about joining that. I'm in the Black Dragon group in SL, but I'm not sure if ppl use it anymore.

Thanks for the help. 

The inworld group is basically dead. Discord is somewhat active, i'll answer whenever i'm around (not sleeping or busy) unless someone else answers first. Shadows being pixelated could be due to missing Light Softening (or lowered blur light strength), aliasing around stuff is usually the absence of Antialiasing which can be found in Preferences - Display.

Edited by NiranV Dean

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 981 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.