Stop this practice of your tip jar over your head!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 990 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm not sure who came up with this idea but everyone seems to have jumped on this bandwagon. they have put their tip jars as an attachment over their head. The thing is that your name tag covers up the tip jar! So now you are scrambling to find where their tip jar is. Then you have to cam in to actually be able to click it to tip.  Let's just nip this now.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

I'm not sure who came up with this idea but everyone seems to have jumped on this bandwagon. they have put their tip jars as an attachment over their head. The thing is that your name tag covers up the tip jar! So now you are scrambling to find where their tip jar is. Then you have to cam in to actually be able to click it to tip.  Let's just nip this now.

I’ve wondered why and how obvious stupid ideas always took off.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Everything old is new again.  I hadn't seen anyone use those things in years.  Sorry, can't tip you, can't catch the jar over your dang head.

• Like 5

Can't jump on the bandwagon to stop legal activity that likely arose under duress with the new gatcha policy.

I think it's a great idea if someone has a tipjar over their head. I haven't seen one even going to lots of merchant events, but if they have a very creative costume and "look," I would add to their tipjar on that basis alone. Put a tipjar on your head, please!

But...What is the setting in which people put tipjars on their heads? If you mean "working girls" I don't visit those establishments and am not going to tip anybody in that line of work for any reason. But they are free to do what they want in an adult world.

The idea that this economically necessary activity should be banned due to theh difficulty of camming in, in a world where so many people do camming in that Firestorm even has a feature that lets a user know when someone is camming in on them (correct? is simply not justifiable. 

I think a profile pick that shows your store or venue so that I can go there and tip there is a better proposition in some ways and doesn't rely on me trying to click on you in a laggy event. But picks are limited, and strangely, no one has ever demanded that the Lindens make more pick space, even those picks are used to add to profile information, tell elaborate stories, make family and history albums of virtual lives, etc. and not just to direct people to an exact location inworld.

The thing most people seem to have on their heads as a titler is yet another aspect of their name which is already system and display as different, or they have a "head patter" and display the number of times people have patted their heads, something I don't feel the need to do.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Can't jump on the bandwagon to stop legal activity that likely arose under duress with the new gatcha policy.

I think it's a great idea if someone has a tipjar over their head. I haven't seen one even going to lots of merchant events, but if they have a very creative costume and "look," I would add to their tipjar on that basis alone. Put a tipjar on your head, please!

But...What is the setting in which people put tipjars on their heads? If you mean "working girls" I don't visit those establishments and am not going to tip anybody in that line of work for any reason. But they are free to do what they want in an adult world.

The idea that this economically necessary activity should be banned due to theh difficulty of camming in, in a world where so many people do camming in that Firestorm even has a feature that lets a user know when someone is camming in on them (correct? is simply not justifiable. 

I think a profile pick that shows your store or venue so that I can go there and tip there is a better proposition in some ways and doesn't rely on me trying to click on you in a laggy event. But picks are limited, and strangely, no one has ever demanded that the Lindens make more pick space, even those picks are used to add to profile information, tell elaborate stories, make family and history albums of virtual lives, etc. and not just to direct people to an exact location inworld.

The thing most people seem to have on their heads as a titler is yet another aspect of their name which is already system and display as different, or they have a "head patter" and display the number of times people have patted their heads, something I don't feel the need to do.

Man, your responses to posts make everything always so complicated. I hardly ever even read your responses because they are so convoluted and long winded and by long-winded I mean almost a book.

No, it's not an "adult establishment" It was 3 regular clubs. BTW, most people, if they are smart, turn that feature off in firestorm.

Also, good lord this has NOTHING to do at all with Gatcha's. Do you need another thread to post in about that?

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

To be clear, I think sometimes some folks might knee jerk nitpick Prokofy’s posts out of habit.  (Not saying that Sam did).

I have to agree that I don’t understand what this sentence means as a lead in means or how it equates to attached-difficult-to-catch-or-see-around tip jars above an avatars head.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

😄

Sounds like a perfectly stupid idea. Obviously, they don't want tips. Why would one give them any at all then?

Good point! If they want tips, they have to make it easy to tip them. It is not our responsibility to find out how.

Maybe they wear the tip jar so people can see who's working there and is not guests.

Paying them directly is an option.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mollymews said:

a tip jar as an attachment doesn't do anything more than paying the avatar does. We can't pay an attachment. The payment goes to the avatar

with over head tip jars that work like tip jars, then the jar is a rezzed follower

Usually these objects are "followers" which periodically move to their owner's position (+ a little z)

{
  state_entry()
  {
    llSetTimerEvent(0.2);
  }
  timer()
  {
    llSetPos(<0,0,0.5>+lList2Vector(llGetObjectDetails(llGetOwner(),[OBJECT_POS]),0));
  }
    money(key id, integer amount)      // Some money has been received (and has been paid into the owner's account) 
    {
        // Thank the giver for their tip
        llInstantMessage(id, "Thanks for the L$"  + (string) amount + " tip!");
    }
}

(untested)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Man, your responses to posts make everything always so complicated. I hardly ever even read your responses because they are so convoluted and long winded and by long-winded I mean almost a book.

No, it's not an "adult establishment" It was 3 regular clubs. BTW, most people, if they are smart, turn that feature off in firestorm.

Also, good lord this has NOTHING to do at all with Gatcha's. Do you need another thread to post in about that?

You aren't required to read my points.

You didn't specify the context so I speculated.

If the tip jar, obviously an attachment that can only pay that avatar and no one else, is easier to pay than paying the avatar directly, or merely advertises that the avatar wishes tips, why in heck not? Why is that bothering you so much? You aren't required to pay them.

You're going to see more and more and more people with their hands out, tip jars, spam in groups, every kind of annoying begging or cheap economic activity you hate because people have been stripped of a way to offset the steep cost of SL. So it's relevant. So deal with it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Good point! If they want tips, they have to make it easy to tip them. It is not our responsibility to find out how.

Maybe they wear the tip jar so people can see who's working there and is not guests.

Paying them directly is an option.

You wouldn't think to pay them directly unless they wore a tip jar on their heads. I have been to live music venues where I spent half an hour camming around drying to find tip jars on laggy dark sims. The tip jar on head may be a solution. The reaction to it is the usual allergy to commerce.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Mollymews said:

a tip jar as an attachment doesn't do anything more than paying the avatar does. We can't pay an attachment. The payment goes to the avatar

with over head tip jars that work like tip jars, then the jar is a rezzed follower

Worn tip jars may be owned by the club and are set to automatically take out a percentage of the tip for the venue owner, as well as allowing the venue owner to monitor the activities of their hookers employees.

They've always been a thing,  I just hadn't seen them used in a long time.  The ones I remember were worn far enough above the avatar to not conflict with the name tag.  Perhaps they don't know how to edit it up higher?  They used to use them mainly in very busy place so at a glance, you could see one high above all the other stuff.  Mainly used for djs and hosts but occasionally, I'd see the dancers wearing them so they could wander over to whomever tipped them to thank them with a little dance in front of them.   Just my experience with them in the past.

Maybe you could make a comment to the person wearing it and mention they should edit it to sit higher over their head.

28 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Worn tip jars may be owned by the club and are set to automatically take out a percentage of the tip for the venue owner, as well as allowing the venue owner to monitor the activities of their hookers employees.

we can't pay an attachment, the money event in the worn script doesn't fire. When we right-click on the avatar and pay, the payment goes directly to the avatar wearing the attachment. The venue owner can't get a scripted cut of the tip paid

it might be tho that the tip jar attachment seen by OP, is just worn to advertise that the wearer wants to be tipped

4 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

If the tip jar, obviously an attachment that can only pay that avatar and no one else, is easier to pay than paying the avatar directly

How many steps are required in your viewer to directly pay someone? That's not a snarky comment, it's an actual question. I don't use the LL viewer, so I'm not sure how difficult it actually is to directly pay someone, I'm curious. In firestorm it's not difficult at all, two to three steps at most, depending on which method one chooses, but super simple. Often more simple, and quicker, than trying to pay a tip jar, depending on where I'm standing, the lag I'm experiencing, etc... 

You wouldn't think to pay them directly unless they wore a tip jar on their heads.

Perhaps you wouldn't, many people would and do. I direct pay people all the time, no need for tip jar over their heads. This happens at live events all the time too, I see it a lot.  I've always done this at venues when I can't find the tip jar quickly, or find my experience to be particularly laggy.

The reaction to it is the usual allergy to commerce

Not really, lol. My reaction to it is "why", it's unnecessary, but certainly not an allergy to commerce, that would be a silly reaction, imo. 

A tip jar over the head is the same thing as paying someone directly. It's no different, because attachments can't be paid, it's a direct pay to the av wearing the attachment. It could simply be seen as an advertisement though, that I get. It could just be a "I want money", and so some people pay the person money, but it's still directly paying them lol. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tari Landar said:

How many steps are required in your viewer to directly pay someone? That's not a snarky comment, it's an actual question. I don't use the LL viewer, so I'm not sure how difficult it actually is to directly pay someone, I'm curious. In firestorm it's not difficult at all, two to three steps at most, depending on which method one chooses, but super simple. Often more simple, and quicker, than trying to pay a tip jar, depending on where I'm standing, the lag I'm experiencing, etc... 

Perhaps you wouldn't, many people would and do. I direct pay people all the time, no need for tip jar over their heads. This happens at live events all the time too, I see it a lot.  I've always done this at venues when I can't find the tip jar quickly, or find my experience to be particularly laggy.

Not really, lol. My reaction to it is "why", it's unnecessary, but certainly not an allergy to commerce, that would be a silly reaction, imo. 

A tip jar over the head is the same thing as paying someone directly. It's no different, because attachments can't be paid, it's a direct pay to the av wearing the attachment. It could simply be seen as an advertisement though, that I get. It could just be a "I want money", and so some people pay the person money, but it's still directly paying them lol. 

The reason a tip jar over your head is better that paying an avatar directly is because it is a tip jar over your head.

This is Zen and it might fly over your head, but those who know, know

• Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 990 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.