Jump to content

How to upload textures at 16:9 rather than 1:1


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 78 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

Hiyas efryone, sorry if this is super obvious or covered in some faq somewhere, but I can't figure it out.  When I double click the pic in SL I want it to open in the aspect ratio it does on my computer, but it opens as 1x1.

 

This is what I'm doing:

 

Take a picture in SL.  I see in my SL camera it says 1024x768.  The format is PNG.  It saves to disc - my computer.

When I open the picture on my PC it is widescreen, for example the pixel dimensions are 1908x1008.

Then I pay the $10LL to upload it to SL.

Then I double-click on it in SL.

It shows 'Preview aspect ratio' 1:1, and it shows 1024x1024.  =(

 

I don't see any options when I upload it to keep the original image aspect ratio?

 

I know when i put the texture on an object how to resize it at that time, for example i would edit the object to make it, in this case, 1908x1008, and then put the texture on, and everything is fine.  But for just double clicking and opening in SL... i have some actual SL pictures that other people have given me that do open in 2:1, so it must be possible.

 

Like for profile pix, you don't want someone to have to resize them, they won't bother.

 

Thank you for any help you can please provide.

 

~Bleue

p.s. have a gr8 sl-day! <3

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Sandi,

 

Yes, that is true.  When I double click the textures I upload, as you say in the lower right corner in FS it says 'Preview aspect ratio', and for mine it says 1:1.  But for other textures people have given me it says 2:1.  Which is far better than 1:1 for 16:9 stuff.

 

And there's an "OK" button on there, but it doesn't seem to save it; the next time i double click it is back to 1:1.

 

And there's a "save" which just saves it to your computer.

 

i did that, and then paid the $10LL again to upload it, and that didn't work either lol.

 

Thanks for the reply!  Hopefully there's some setting I'm missing somewhere...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Dot!

 

That is cool, thank you for doing that.

 

But yeah, that I think just changes the view for you at that moment.  I want to default when someone opens the texture in SL to be 2:1.  Is there a way to save the texture in SL such that it opens automatically at 2:1 (or 16:9)?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, bluelacroix said:

Thanks Dot!

 

That is cool, thank you for doing that.

 

But yeah, that I think just changes the view for you at that moment.  I want to default when someone opens the texture in SL to be 2:1.  Is there a way to save the texture in SL such that it opens automatically at 2:1 (or 16:9)?

You must save your image as a 2:1 ratio to begin with. Failing this, the viewer will resize it to the closest power of 2,so your image is effectively a 1024*1024 and so a 1:1. Try saving your image as 1024*512 and you should be able to see it as 2:1 by default

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Optimo,

 

I see now I can change the Width x Height in my camera, so I set that to 1024x512, and saved that, and uploaded it...

 

And... it worked!  Now it defaults to open with 2:1.  Yayzor!

 

So now I have to go back to the sim i was in and take the picture again.  lol

 

Thanks everyone for all the help!

 

All the best,

~Bleue

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, bluelacroix said:

Thanks Optimo,

 

I see now I can change the Width x Height in my camera, so I set that to 1024x512, and saved that, and uploaded it...

 

And... it worked!  Now it defaults to open with 2:1.  Yayzor!

 

So now I have to go back to the sim i was in and take the picture again.  lol

 

Thanks everyone for all the help!

 

All the best,

~Bleue

 

You're welcome 😊

Of course, you can save your images at even higher resolutions if you need that. Just keep following the same rule...
2048*1024, 4096*2048 and so on

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, OptimoMaximo said:

You're welcome 😊

Of course, you can save your images at even higher resolutions if you need that. Just keep following the same rule...
2048*1024, 4096*2048 and so on

Actually, my understanding is that while you can save and upload higher resolutions, they will be converted down by LL to 1024x1024 max.  Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, sandi Mexicola said:

Actually, my understanding is that while you can save and upload higher resolutions, they will be converted down by LL to 1024x1024 max.  Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. :)

 

You're not wrong, 1024 is the cap size for every image. However you may want to use your image outside of SL and work it at high res. Upload your images to some other service like Flickr and still be able to retain the aspect ratio if you ever decide to upload that image to SL too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, sandi Mexicola said:

Yes, I generally work with much higher resolutions, then downsize depending on where I am uploading to.  :)

 

I do the same so I can preserve as much detail as I can. Sometimes my machine gets a bit choked on it, but the end result is worth it :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Charalyne Blackwood said:

I do the same so I can preserve as much detail as I can. Sometimes my machine gets a bit choked on it, but the end result is worth it :D

Yeah, sometimes I just shoot as large as I possibly can!  :)

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@bluelacroix What you are running into is the viewer reformating an image into the SL storage format, which is JPG2000. Those images are limited to power of 2 dimensions. The max size is set by Linden Lab. But the dimensions of a JPG2000 are controlled by the JPG2000 software (Kakadu for SL and Firestorm). The only store-able images are 1024x 1024, 512, 256, 128, 64, 32, 16, 8, 4, or 2. If the uploaded image is not using those dimensions, the viewer (or server, I forget) resizes the image to the nearest power of 2 dimension.

So, a 1024x768 image gets resized to 1024x1024. As long as the dimension is greater than 512 it gets up sized to 1024 to avoid data loss. Any size <512 and >256 gets resized to 512. And so on...

You can upload a 10x10 image. It will resize to a 16x16.

To get the best quality images into SL users have been working the system for over a decade. What we have learned is to make our image a size that the system will NOT resize. That gives us the best quality.

For odd aspect ratios we shrink or stretch images before uploading. Then put them on a prim and adjust the prim size to correct the image.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 78 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...