Texture Blurring after a while?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4706 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been making my first skin texture, finally got satisfied with it, and uploaded it.

Initially it looks fine in-game, but after a few minutes it gets really blurry and doesnt regain its quality. I made the skin sized 512x512 since I read somewhere that no other sizes work... (Then again, I took a long few-year hiatus so I might be -very- outdated. ._.)

Teleporting fixes it for the first few minutes, then it blurs again. I'm wondering, is that normal? Is there any way to prevent it? Or is it just my connection or something. Until this happened I didnt pay too much attention to textures, but I dont recall it ever happening, and It seems no one else can see it either.

Thank you~!

The blurring is a product of your graphics, connection and/or computer setup.  The most likely reason is your graphics.  Try lowering your draw distance or turning off some of the bells and whistles (shadows, reflections, etc) until it stops happening.  On the off chance it's your connection try resetting your router and modem.  Same with checking for background programs running on your computer.  The problem will most likely be resolved by lowering your draw distance......that's the usual trick to fix that blurring issue.

Oh, and the 512 pixel skin/clothing size is still the same......hasn't changed and probably never will.

It helps to understand how avatar textures work.

Basically, and this is a simplified version of how it works, YOUR viewer downloads the individual textures for every layer you're wearing from the asset cluster. Your skin, your socks, your underpants, your shirt, your tattoo layer, etcetera. This is when you see yourself clearly.

Then your client bakes all those individual textures into a single texture and sends THAT off to the sim to be distributed among all other residents around you. When your av textures go blurry, this is where the problem is occuring. Something is causing the flat, baked single layer texture to become corrupted either on it's way from you to the sim, or from the sim to all the viewers.

Usually, no amoung to "re-baking" helps. I've found that the most reliable fix is clearing your texture cache and relogging.

Hi, this is an on again, off again viewer bug that has been with us since the updated texture pipeline showed up in Snowglobe. Sometimes it "forgets" to use the right detail level for your own avatar, the full thing is still in cache but the viewer does not know enough to show it. The trouble is definitely not with your textures.

--||-

You know, I just had this problem yesterday and fixed it and completely forgot. The new texture delivery system, HTTP textures. 

Press ctrl+alt+q to reveal the "Debug" menu. In Debug make sure HTTP Textures is unchecked. That will solve most texture problems.

I'm not sure you can legitamately call this issue a "bug".........but who knows :)  It's a lot older than Snowglob and multithreading.  That much I know since I was seeing this problem since 2005 when I first came to SL.  It continued until I finally decided I needed a graphics card much more capable than the nVidia 6150LE I had..........and about the same time I upped my cable connection speed to 20 mbps.  I've seldom seen the problem since (and never to any great extent when I do see it).

Thank you everyone for your replies. I tried clearing my cache and restarting the client but it didnt help, Neither did lowering my distance, shadows, water transparency or anything. D:

After that I tried the Debug Menu but couldnt find anything regarding HTTP Textures. (I'm on Beta Viewer 2.0, If it makes a difference.) I did find something called TextureLoadFullRes. I changed it to true and it seems to have fixed it.

Thanks again Everyone. : D

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:

I'm not sure you can legitamately call this issue a "bug".........but who knows
:)
  It's a lot older than Snowglob and multithreading.  That much I know since I was seeing this problem since 2005 when I first came to SL.  It continued until I finally decided I needed a graphics card much more capable than the nVidia 6150LE I had..........and about the same time I upped my cable connection speed to 20 mbps.  I've seldom seen the problem since (and never to any great extent when I do see it).

You are describing the normal behavior, the viewer uses the different discard levels to make as many textures as possible fit in memory, and compromises will be made if there is not enough. The bug in the newer viewers is that the discarding happens when it is not necessary, and the intended priorities are not always used.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4706 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.