John445 Bachman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 988 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Returned to SL after some year away. I had a great avatar, but choose an avatar under the Complete Avatar selection. So it seems my old avatar is now gone. However I started deleting things I was wearing and took items off and now my avatar is transparent in those places. The avatar is clothing is under Greg. If I put something on still in my inventory, it shows worn but still transparent.

Help, thanks!

john445 Bachman

Something else to be aware of: every time you select one of the built-in avatars to wear, SL creates an entire brand-new set of objects & skins and puts them on you. Those will build up in your inventory. It's good practice to delete the ones you decide against and make an Outfit of any you like. (That'll let you tweak it, too, and not lose the changes.)

• Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 2:02 PM, Quarrel Kukulcan said:

Something else to be aware of: every time you select one of the built-in avatars to wear, SL creates an entire brand-new set of objects & skins and puts them on you. Those will build up in your inventory. It's good practice to delete the ones you decide against and make an Outfit of any you like. (That'll let you tweak it, too, and not lose the changes.)

What are you talking about?

When an item is created and uploaded into the SL Asset Database, that is it. No new copies are ever created. Unless a new revision is uploaded, which isn't actually a copy of the uploaded item but a new item created outside SL.

If one makes a copy of something in inventory, what is made is a new inventory entry. Which consists of a UUID and set of parameters. For instance if you use an applier to place a skin on a mesh body then make a copy of the body and use a different applier to put a different skin on the copy... there is no new copy of the body or skin added to the Asset Db. What is new are entries in the inventory system. Inventory Item UUID#1 says use Body-UUID1, Skin-UUID-A and all these other settings. Another inventory item UUID#2 says use Body-UUID1 and Skin-UUID-B and these other settings.

(I have over simplified. But this is the idea.)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

What are you talking about?

When an item is created and uploaded into the SL Asset Database, that is it. No new copies are ever created. Unless a new revision is uploaded, which isn't actually a copy of the uploaded item but a new item created outside SL.

If one makes a copy of something in inventory, what is made is a new inventory entry. Which consists of a UUID and set of parameters. For instance if you use an applier to place a skin on a mesh body then make a copy of the body and use a different applier to put a different skin on the copy... there is no new copy of the body or skin added to the Asset Db. What is new are entries in the inventory system. Inventory Item UUID#1 says use Body-UUID1, Skin-UUID-A and all these other settings. Another inventory item UUID#2 says use Body-UUID1 and Skin-UUID-B and these other settings.

(I have over simplified. But this is the idea.)

What they meant was, once you wear an avatar from the Library (a complete avatar), then that folder is now in your main inventory. Copies you don't need.  Unless there are parts of it you might use, it's best to delete them from Main inventory since they just muck it up.  It's still always available in the Library.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 988 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.