Post formatting options - original comment versus editing a comment

LittleMe Jewell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 989 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Here are the formatting options that I get in a comment box when I first type in the comment:

image.thumb.png.d30d251c89d7ee4a81a2587ca2ab5e97.png

Here are the options I get when I edit one of my posts:

image.png.9ea796479382ad13ed4801a7bfd40fdf.png

I'm assuming that vast difference came about from the latest forum software upgrade - I don't recall such a big difference before.

@Tommy Lindenor anyone else @Linden Lab that is familiar with the forum software stuff --- If the software caused the difference, can we get that part put back?  Or at the very least, add back the more commonly used formatting things:  Strikethru, Size, Color, etc....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

Test.

Edit: It's a dynamic editor window - what you're seeing appears, for me, when the page is zoomed in to about 200%. At 175 and lower, it's the "normal" box options.

Which browser are you using?  I'm on Chrome and just went to Edit a post in another thread -- zoomed in and out a few times, but nothing about that formatting window changed.  I still only have an abbreviated version of it.

I'm using Edge browser, and when I go into Edit on a post, I see the full formatting window toolbar.  The only difference between the formatting window toolbar view when creating a post and when editting a post is that the "Font" and "Normal" labels and their dropdown arrows are wrapped around to display on a second line rather than at the end of the line. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Which browser are you using?  I'm on Chrome and just went to Edit a post in another thread -- zoomed in and out a few times, but nothing about that formatting window changed.  I still only have an abbreviated version of it.

Brave.

• Thanks 1

I think I figured it out.  In this thread the post windows are wide, but the post window in that huge Gacha thread is more narrow.  That thread had many pages and thus has that popularity/info stuff on the right side.  So, in this thread, when I edit a comment I do have the entire formatting window, but in that other thread I don't.  If someone has posted in that Gacha thread or some other super long thread, would you check the formatting options for editing one of those comments?

Screen grab of comments at the top of this one & only page of this thread:

image.thumb.png.db9fb0f8e8085312e71a51ff69b9e32a.png

Screen grab of comments at the top of one of the pages in that 100+ page thread --- narrower:

image.thumb.png.68372c40a175baf1822fd75bf0cda94b.png

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Testing 1..2..3

The first edit window is from the Gacha thread and the second is from this one.  So it does seem to depend on the thread you're posting/editing in.

The part that is very odd, is that for me, in that Gacha thread, I am not getting any wrap-around for the formatting options - or even getting all of the current options near the front.  Below, your formatting options are totally identical between the two except that stuff that doesn't fit on the top row is wrapping to a second row.

image.png.3cefc828e175de8bc16dd455a213a440.png

For me, I'm actually losing some of the items in each section of formatting:

No 'strikethrough' after 'underline', no brackets before the smiley face, none of the left/center/right formatting, no font or size, and nothing after the Preview button:

image.png.850ba1b13eaf12e4d840c31695a4ec11.png

It is the same for me on Chrome at work and on Chrome at home, so not just a specific computer or single Chrome install. 

Oh well, I'll keep playing around with it all on various browsers to see what I can manage to work out.  

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

43 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The part that is very odd, is that for me, in that Gacha thread, I am not getting any wrap-around for the formatting options - or even getting all of the current options near the front.  Below, your formatting options are totally identical between the two except that stuff that doesn't fit on the top row is wrapping to a second row.

image.png.3cefc828e175de8bc16dd455a213a440.png

For me, I'm actually losing some of the items in each section of formatting:

No 'strikethrough' after 'underline', no brackets before the smiley face, none of the left/center/right formatting, no font or size, and nothing after the Preview button:

image.png.850ba1b13eaf12e4d840c31695a4ec11.png

It is the same for me on Chrome at work and on Chrome at home, so not just a specific computer or single Chrome install. 

Oh well, I'll keep playing around with it all on various browsers to see what I can manage to work out.  

Just to add.  I get different options if I'm on my tablet, too on both original and edited posts.  

• Thanks 1

On 8/5/2021 at 11:12 AM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Here are the formatting options that I get in a comment box when I first type in the comment:

image.thumb.png.d30d251c89d7ee4a81a2587ca2ab5e97.png

Here are the options I get when I edit one of my posts:

image.png.9ea796479382ad13ed4801a7bfd40fdf.png

I'm assuming that vast difference came about from the latest forum software upgrade - I don't recall such a big difference before.

@Tommy Lindenor anyone else @Linden Lab that is familiar with the forum software stuff --- If the software caused the difference, can we get that part put back?  Or at the very least, add back the more commonly used formatting things:  Strikethru, Size, Color, etc....

I noticed this quite some time back. It's been driving me nuts ever since.

That and the fact that they took away spoilers about a year ago. There was no point in that. It's a good thing to have for over sized images and other things that can slow a thread down. And people can choose whether or not they want to see whatever is behind the spoilers.

Makes no sense to me.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 989 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.