Do I have to update the SL Viewer BEFORE I update the Firestorm Viewer

TrishSummers

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 994 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have realised that I may have an older version of both SL and Firestorm Viewers installed.  Note I never use the SL Viewer.  (Literally only ever used it for day 1 tutotial and used Firestorm ever since).

Anyway, I have realised that they are both older versions, and wanted to update my Firestorm viewer. 

My question is - can I do this without needing to update the SL Viewer, or should I update both - and if so in what order?  

(I suppose what I am asking, is if they are linked in some way in terms of both needing to be at a certain version - a bit like how you would need to update WINDOWS, before updating to the latest OFFICE software, if that makes sense?)

And - regardless of answer to above, Is there any reason that I should log into the standard SL viewer from time to time?  Or is there no benefit to doing that?

Thanks, Trish 🙂

The viewers are independant - update whatever you want.

The SL viewer will force an update when you launch it.

FF has only the last 3 versions active. If your version is too old you can't login with that.

You don't have to have the SL viewer at all. You don't get a bonus.
A reason to log with SL is testing a new feature or verifying viewer problems or if you have a problem that you want to ask SL support.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The only thing I can think of that may be affected by the order in which viewers are installed or updated is the SLURL protocol. This is the system where clicking on an SL location link on a website will open the viewer for you to log in directly to that location. Generally it'll be the most recently installed viewer that'll respond, though Firestorm now has an option for that in its installation routine. Firestorm also provide a utility, SLURL Proxy, that lets you manually control which viewer responds to SLURLs.

• Thanks 1

@TrishSummers Nova is correct. The viewers are independent. They even have separate caches.

Back when I covered viewers on my blog I would have 6 or more viewers installed. Today I have 3 installed; SL, Firestorm, and Black Dragon. I use the SL to see new features. I use FS for may daily use. It is decent for photos and has features I often use. Black Dragon is my choice for creative photos and those Where I want to adjust the avatar's pose. On an older computer I use Cool VL Viewer for better performance. I often consider reinstalling Catznip when I decide to do inventory clean up... said like that cleanup thing happens as anything more than a thought.

Having a second viewer installed is a key-basic step in troubleshooting problems. Also, if you end up needing SL Support you will have to use the SL Viewer and be able to show the problem using that viewer. Otherwise, the Lab won't help. They have enough trouble training support techs on the Lab's viewer. They know nothing about the FS viewer.

I suggest you keep the SL viewer up to date. It is a real pain to have a problem and not be able to use the SL viewer without having to take time for an update. I'll point out that testing with an old version is not a real test of a current problem.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

@TrishSummers Nova is correct. The viewers are independent. They even have separate caches.

Back when I covered viewers on my blog I would have 6 or more viewers installed. Today I have 3 installed; SL, Firestorm, and Black Dragon. I use the SL to see new features. I use FS for may daily use. It is decent for photos and has features I often use. Black Dragon is my choice for creative photos and those Where I want to adjust the avatar's pose. On an older computer I use Cool VL Viewer for better performance. I often consider reinstalling Catznip when I decide to do inventory clean up... said like that cleanup thing happens as anything more than a thought.

Having a second viewer installed is a key-basic step in troubleshooting problems. Also, if you end up needing SL Support you will have to use the SL Viewer and be able to show the problem using that viewer. Otherwise, the Lab won't help. They have enough trouble training support techs on the Lab's viewer. They know nothing about the FS viewer.

I suggest you keep the SL viewer up to date. It is a real pain to have a problem and not be able to use the SL viewer without having to take time for an update. I'll point out that testing with an old version is not a real test of a current problem.

Fantastic-  that is great advice.  And yes, will continue to use FS for dauy use, but open and update SL viewer now and again, just in case like you say I need to test something, or need offiial support.  Great thorough response and very helpful, thank you :)

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 994 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.