is there a way to rebake surrounding textures? Certain textures appear blurry.

Hardy Farrasco

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4142 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

6 answers to this question

Rebaking only affects your own avatar.  When you rebake, you are applying a new appearance file to your avatar on your own computer and then uploading it to SL's servers so that other people can see the change.  In contrast, other textures are all held in SL's servers, applied to various objects and landscapes, and then downloaded to your computer so that your graphics card can render them for you to see. There's nothing for your computer to bake, and there's no way to speed up the rezzing of images by rebaking them. 

When other textures rezz slowly or are blurry, it's usually a sign that you are expecting your graphics card to process more information than it can handle.  You can speed up rezzing by reducing the drawing distance setting in Preferences, so that your graphics card doesn't have so much to render. You can also lower the quality sliders in Preferences from High to Medium or even to Low.  Ultimately, though, the best way to make textures rezz faster and clearer is to replace your graphics card wih one that has more memory and is faster.

You can Zoom on Objects or Avatars with your camera to sorta force that texture to load, it works for me. Not always recommended because it can lag your pc. You could ask the other Resident to rebake. You could adjust your Graphic settings. You could Teleport away and then back.   

Someone's avatar not rezzing completely is often a problem on that particulary person's end.......maybe it's their connection, the distance they are from LL's servers (latency) or their computer being a little under powered.  There is nothing you can do if that's the case.......perhaps asking them to rebake but that's very iffy as far as success is concerned.  For objects not rezzing for you it's pretty much as others have mentioned.  A few tricks that might work are to mouse over the objects to try to bring focus to it and cause your viewer to download the object/texture to your computer again.......maybe even left clicking.  You can try right clicking too.......but that really is about the same as left clicking.  When objects/textures are slow rezzing (not rezzing at all) for you and others don't have the problem it's almost always on your end.......your connection, computer setup or your graphics.  There's not much you can do for others not rezzing for you........but you can increase your computer's performance for objects/textures not rezzing.

As stated before, it generally tends to be a problem client side/user side, and not SL itself. Along with the zooming options, and right/left click options, I do have an object that I received from someone that is a Clear Visible Cache object. Im not entirely sure where you can find them, so if you want, you can contact me to get one. The way you go through with it is you just right-click and sit on it, and it will shoot you up to a certain height (generally anything over 1000 meters), and then bring you back down. It essentially wipes away anything that was originally rezzing, so it just leaves your avatar, and does a reload of the surrounding area, practically on a clean slate. Usually this works best with using the Clear Visible Cache object, then a quick relog, but it can also work without the relog. This object usually is the best option for me if I need items to rez around me.

In contrast to what others are telling here, this normally is not a connection issue - at least not one you can do anything about, but often backend failures (especially HTTP textures tend to produce all sorts of issues the more people are on a region), sheer amount of textures to be loaded anyway where the viewer just skips them after a while or borked level of detail calculation that started with Snowglobe.

Anyway, the only viewer so far that will allow you to reload textures of objects is CoolVL - although it does it on a quite hackish way. But it seems to work.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4142 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.