Marketplace Overhaul: Should All In Person Purchases Be Routed Through The Marketplace For A More Efficient, Consistent, & Secure Re Delivery System

Paulsian

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 987 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was not sure where to place this topic. 

Wondering if anyone else thinks having in person purchases, basically any purchase made by clicking object in world should be routed through the marketplace for easy re delivery of purchases.

I'm noticing a trend while attempting to get purchases redelivered. Some use third party redelivery systems that require clicking external links with questionable security and link does not include all copy purchases from seller, some that do not have a redelivery system in place and suggest sending notecards, and some made in person yet marketplace has on record with option for re delivery...

Several very popular content creators are not responding to note cards being sent with re delivery request per their re delivery instructions, months have gone by and no reply and follow up notecards sent as well with no reply.

I wonder if it would be easier for buyers and sellers to have all in person sales routed through the market place and eliminated third party redelivery systems. Maybe some in world sellers only know the change prim to buy on click and give contents of prim method, and prefer it because it's simple; I know when i first set up a marketplace the process was a lot confusing to list. If the marketplace had an option to give a vend machine or vend button to add to current machines to make it easier for in person selling for those who are not so prim savvy and a way to forward existing prim content sales through marketplace would make it easier to recover purchases. 

I've noticed that some sellers promote something like: SL charges more for marketplace purchases come to my in world store for discounts, not sure what that is about. 

If $ is taken and contents given forward copy of contents to Marketplace purchase summary. A copy that will always exist even if the shop closes. That's another thing, when purchases made through marketplace and that marketplace shop no longer sells the object there's nothing to deliver. Marketplace overhaul? 

• Haha 1

I can understand the appeal, but that's really not practical.  It assumes that people selling in world now are all using some sort of networked system like Casparvend, and that it would be "easy" to just funnel all of the sales through those systems to MP.   There's a lot more out there than networked vendors. I've scripted quite a few of them over the years.  There's no way you could convert all of those different systems easily to MP.  Also, you'd get big-time pushback from merchants, who would lose a percentage of their sales to the MP commissions.  

• Thanks 4

8 hours ago, Paulsian said:

I was not sure where to place this topic. 

Wondering if anyone else thinks having in person purchases, basically any purchase made by clicking object in world should be routed through the marketplace for easy re delivery of purchases.

YES !

and No... 

I would like to see a way to (optionally!) link an object sale in world to an SLM listing, purchase in world and the SLM adds that avatar to the SLM's purchase logs.

This maintains the independence of in world sales and allows creators to leverage the SLM.

I filed a feature request to this end on the JIRA ... and it was rejected.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Casparvend

6 hours ago, Crim Mip said:

CasperVend,

I have 500+ vendors in-world in a homestead sim. If I had to use Caspervend or something like it, I'd either have to use 500+ additional scripts or put merch in 'browsable' vending machines.

So having a 'built-in' gift/redelivery system in addition to traditional click-to-buy would indeed be nice.

40 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I filed a feature request to this end on the JIRA ... and it was rejected.

But I also imagine such a thing would be low on LL's priority list, way down in the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' section.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman

Short answer? No!

Long answer? I love browsing MP, but many designers are incredible sloppy with offering Demos, and really I love cute little Mainstores to shop in. And the redelivery button does not appear too handy when you are in SL for over a decade and your bought items list is horribly long XD there needs to be a way to delete old stuff x3 people would spend even more time on their platforms only and SL would appear even more empty  so...No!

Edited by Gwin LeShelle

2 minutes ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

And the redelivery button does not appear too handy when you are in SL for over a decade and your bought items list is horribly long

as far i know when you click the green bar at top of the item page ( where it says when you bought it)  brings you directly to the right order page.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

as far i know when you click the green bar at top of the item page ( where it says when you bought it)  brings you directly to the right order page.

That's true and super useful! ʕっ•ᴥ•ʔっ

But sometimes it's like "omg I know there was this one gardengnomeorinsertanythinghere I got some time ago on MP what was it's name XD" and some stuff I got sooo long ago on MP that I do not need it on my list anymore and for my friend for example...her list is so long that it takes ages to load and often fails completely doing so T^T

• Like 1

Yes it might be nice but... Some of my stuff is builders kits where the whole thing is on MP but individual bits are on display inworld for purchase for anyone who just wants a couple of pieces and no - not in any vendors (as why double up prim count? I *could* use a multi item vendor but still and no I do not use any external). So if it happened automagically then *shrug* go for it. Not going to clutter up MP by having two versions of a kit (personal and OEM) plus each and every individual component. (one or two exceptions have been added for specific cases)

It's too late now to make it mandatory, but if I were building a commerce-enabled virtual world from scratch, I'd definitely merge the whole commercial search and transaction system into one, whether accessed over the web or in-world. Even at this late date the advantages for the customer are so big that it would be an appealing option for in-world sales. Besides uniformly reliable redelivery, I've always wanted to be able to leave reviews for in-world buys, and see what other in-world buyers have said about products.

I remember the plug being unceremoniously pulled from multiple third-party vendor systems over the years, so there should be appeal to the merchant, too, unless they've been scripting their own vendors or rely on some exotic feature that couldn't be replicated using the hypothetical "Marketplace in-world sales API."

CasperVend has customer service and responds to inquiries. They have an elaborate system to make their vendors fail-safe - multiple servers, plus info storage within the vendor so if the servers are down, the transaction info is not lost and is recovered when the servers come back up.

SL Marketplace, not so much.

We need third-party vendors to compete with LL. Otherwise they'll start thinking they get to set prices.

• Like 1

This would be a non priority for us.
Marketplace would not be sufficiently (a) funded (b) maintained (c) fit for purpose to manage our redeliveries in this scale at this time. 

There are many long outstanding requirements for a Marketplace 2.0 that creators have requested (jiras' all open) and LL confirmed they would not spend time on doing the Marketplace work until the "Cloud" project was finished.  It kind of now is finished, but until  LL clear the backlog and/or come up with Marketplace 2.0 -this would be a long queue to to dos.    Most creators have the capability if they have volume of sales to use something like Caspervend or their own networked system if they don't want to respond to redelivery asks manually.  

If there are creators who are not responding to your specific redelivery requests (check first they do want a notecard and not an IM) it's best to work with them directly.   If they ignore you I would avoid that creator going forward.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

That's true and super useful! ʕっ•ᴥ•ʔっ

But sometimes it's like "omg I know there was this one gardengnomeorinsertanythinghere I got some time ago on MP what was it's name XD" and some stuff I got sooo long ago on MP that I do not need it on my list anymore and for my friend for example...her list is so long that it takes ages to load and often fails completely doing so T^T

Sounds like your friend needs to file a support ticket with LL and ask them to clean out some of the oldest transactions. Or there may be something else they could do. Won't know until you ask!

Nice info everyone, thank you for weighing in. I think inworld sellers deserve the 10% savings. Once that in world purchase goes through and it's associated with content that content then get forwarded directly to the marketplace for redelivery and option for in world product review which would auto generate an in world marketplace page that in world sellers could utilize later for marketplace selling, it could making listing most popular in world only products easier (something like this product sold in would would you like to list it to the marketplace for 10% fees to have a greater chance to reach more traffic?

It would also be nice if there was a way for all uploaded content be forwarded to the marketplace redelivery system as well. Currently there is no way to redeliver content builders pay to upload to the grid and in a way we are pressing that buy button to LL with no redelivery option and would make listing uploaded content easier in so many ways. 

• Haha 1

On 8/4/2021 at 4:20 PM, Silent Mistwalker said:

Sounds like your friend needs to file a support ticket with LL and ask them to clean out some of the oldest transactions. Or there may be something else they could do. Won't know until you ask!

I'm pretty sure i submitted a jira for option to delete demos on marketplace because those take up a lot of room, (that's one of my favorite past time marketplace demoing demos) or have an option for demos not to be stored in the redelivery system. As bad as we all are at deleting stuff might good to have a place where non demos can not be deleted easily, maybe require a ticket like mentioned to delete non demos from redelivery system.  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

On 8/4/2021 at 1:35 AM, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

So having a 'built-in' gift/redelivery system in addition to traditional click-to-buy would indeed be nice.

Sounds like the prim buy option need to evolve a bit from click to buy contents of prim to click to buy / gift contents of prim.

On 8/4/2021 at 12:53 PM, animats said:

CasperVend has customer service and responds to inquiries.

I've seen modified hacked caspervend systems. I went into a place once with no redelivery policy and asked the group about it and one person popped up gave me a casper vend object that was not created by the caspervend people. That was one horror story I had reported to the seller the store i was in as well as LL.

Also the casper vend system in one place has items from other places and does not always list all purchases from the given specific world location for the specific items attempting to be recovered. 

• Haha 1

On 8/6/2021 at 9:58 AM, Cackle Amore said:

Having a way to directly connect a in-game vendor to my marketplace products would be wonderful, but as a optional feature of course.

They recently snuck in 'Bulk Redelivery" just this past week, so sounds like they might be catching up to that! @Charlotte Bartlett

I hope so as that is good news!! Thanks for the heads up :)

Why do people keep coming up with ideas to keep themselves and their class in business and kill off everybody else? Don't you realize we are in a shared economy?

If you are NOT in business, why dream up concepts based on your ideology and class to kill off other people who don't share your views? You don't have better things to do?

I was thinking that the vendor monopolist might howl mightily if everything was moved to the Marketplace, but in fact I think MP purchases still tie into that system as you can see MP purchases to re-send, correct? 

So even absent *that* howling, which will have an enormous influence on SL as a monopolist, as Anshe did, I think the howling of people now suffering the 10% tax will be sufficient to curb it, although we'll find plenty of forums regs to tell us to "suck it up" or "this is what LL needs to do to live so shut up".

The worldness of the world -- its ability to live largely independent of the platform provider, even given that they depend on it for external features like delivering the stream and holding up the sims; its ability to make money with direct resident-to-resident transactions and not depend on the LindEx to buy currency, where a fee is also taken; its ability to live and move and have its being largely ignoring the forums, LL announcements, Bellisseria and much of what you are live for -- i.e. the *majority of the population* -- will suffer irrevocably. It really then becomes more like a company town or really worse, as all 3D virtual things tend to become, especially when there are few alternatives.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 987 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.