New Gacha Policy Discussion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 980 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Deathly Fright said:

where is that quote from?

What part of my comment are you referring to?

The part where I said LL "could" make a statement that references legalease that prevents all manner of alternatives that are deemed to perpetuate the gacha mechanism partially or in full?

Edited by Lucia Nightfire

7 minutes ago, Hanjo Harvey said:

no i mean lol
I get the hover text part. but you are buying directly like any regular sale board.

Thinks he might sell more if people think it's a work around the gacha ban and not simply a vendor?  🙄

On a side note, this would almost be comical (the entire debate) if it weren't so incredibly disturbing.  People talking about leaving SL because something intangible will no longer be allowed?  Because you can't take a.chance to obtain that virtual trinket to decorate your virtual home or dress your virtual doll or gift to your friend?  Good lord people, get some perspective.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 6

Just now, Lucia Nightfire said:

What part of my comment are you referring to?

The part where I said LL "could" make a statement that references legalease that prevents all manner of alternatives that are deemed to perpetuate the gacha mechanism partially or in full?

OOOH ok.. I thought you were quoting a what a lawyer said to LL. yea, they could say that, but if this fulfills the rules they've been advised then this whole thing may not be an issue

3 minutes ago, Deathly Fright said:

the problem as I understand it is that gatchas don't tell you what you'll get. so you are buying blind. with the hovertext it tells you. so you know what you're buying. it seems to fulfill the rules.

I don't personally care about gatchas, but I find this fascinating from just a rules standpoint

I dont either. I'm ok with finding a legal solution but i find the hovering text is like an extra step to the regular sale board.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Deathly Fright said:

the problem as I understand it is that gatchas don't tell you what you'll get. so you are buying blind. with the hovertext it tells you. so you know what you're buying. it seems to fulfill the rules.

I don't personally care about gatchas, but I find this fascinating from just a rules standpoint

Which in effect, makes it a regular vendor.  I don't know about you but I'm not paying for 5 or 6 things that I don't want only to get the one I do want.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deathly Fright said:

OOOH ok.. I thought you were quoting a what a lawyer said to LL. yea, they could say that, but if this fulfills the rules they've been advised then this whole thing may not be an issue

No, not even an LL staffer will directly quote a lawyer. They will "transcribe" legalease into a generic interpretation for public statements in the company's favor for whatever change in ToS is on the table.

4 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Which in effect, makes it a regular vendor.  I don't know about you but I'm not paying for 5 or 6 things that I don't want only to get the one I do want.  

it's a fine line sure, but there is a line.

say this wasn't a gatcha vendor, say it was a one of kind vendor that sells 100 unique items of all kinds. once a purchase has been made, there is no more of that item, so the vendor moves on to the next item randomly. this isn't againt any rules that I know of.

what is the difference between the one of a kind vendor and the gatcha one demonstrated in that video?

Edited by Deathly Fright

2 hours ago, Sparkle Bunny said:

It's a long time since I bought any, but aren't some starter breedables no-trans for this exact reason?

Yes, most starter packs/ LE Packs are No-Trans.

It's the randomization of what's in the packs that's in question. Some of the packs even state on the outside they are Randomized. So, it's a chance based outcome resulting from a payment. 

EX:  You buy a pack it's 2 females and you need a male and female to breed. So you as a purchaser need to pay and play again at a game of chance. That maybe, the next time you pay you will get the male and female you need. When in actuality you will probably get more females and need to buy more sets to get what you are intending to buy. It's similar to Gacha mechanism granted it's not called a gacha you are paying & playing the initial purchase from the creator the same way. 

You as a purchaser don't know what you are getting till after purchase. So, a chance based outcome resulting from a payment.

Edited by CelestineDemetria

Just now, Silent Mistwalker said:

The keys words there being "in effect".

True but the thrill of a gacha is in possibly getting that thing you really want on the first try.  Or the second.  Or maybe the third.  No one.in there right mind pays for things they KNOW they don't want in order to get what the do want.  The device might be legal but it's asinine.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Deathly Fright said:

say this wasn't a gatcha vendor, say it was a one of kind vendor that sells 100 unique items of all kinds. once a purchase has been made, there is no more of that item, so the vendor moves on to the next item randomly.

what is the difference between the one of a kind vendor and the gatcha one demonstrated in that video?

ah, i see. Well too much hassle for me. lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Deathly Fright said:

say this wasn't a gatcha vendor, say it was a one of kind vendor that sells 100 unique items of all kinds. once a purchase has been made, there is no more of that item, so the vendor moves on to the next item randomly. this isn't againt any rules that I know of.

Because it's still just a vendor and NOT a work around for gachas he claims.  If what is shown isn't something you want, why the heck.would anyone buy it?

I go to Wal-Mart for a toaster.  I have to buy a coffee maker, a teapot and a hair dryer before they let me buy my toaster.   Seriously?  Who would do that?  Same concept with his device.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Because it's still just a vendor and NOT a work around for gachas he claims.  If what is shown isn't something you want, why the heck.would anyone buy it?

I go to Wal-Mart for a toaster.  I have to buy a coffee maker, a teapot and a hair dryer before they let me buy my toaster.   Seriously?  Who would to.that?  Same concept with his device.

"why the heck.would anyone buy it?"

the argument would be "you pass by hundreds of vendors a day that you don't want to buy from this one is no different. just because the item that you want isn't immediately available, doesn't mean you have to buy the thing you don't want."

"I have to buy a coffee maker, a teapot and a hair dryer before they let me buy my toaster."

counter-argument "those are walmart's rules. you can buy a simlar toaster from a place that isn't walmart"

please note that I'm just playing devils advocate.

Edited by Deathly Fright

1 minute ago, Deathly Fright said:

"why the heck.would anyone buy it?"

the argument would be "you pass by hundreds of vendors a day that you don't want to buy from this one is no different. just because the item that you want isn't immediately available, doesn't mean you have to buy the thing you don't want."

"I have to buy a coffee maker, a teapot and a hair dryer before they let me buy my toaster."

counter-argument "those are walmart's rules. you can buy a simlar toaster from a place that isn't walmart"

please note that I'm just playing devils advocate.

I'm speaking to his claim that it is a.gacha work around.  It is not.  It's a simple vendor.  He seems to be trying to market it as something it is not.

11 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

And the fact that you get what you pay for.

I get what I pay for from gachas... one of the items listed on the photo... its not like i put the lindens in and expect something from the photo and then get a turtle instead... i get what I paid for... I know what I am getting when I play a gacha. Anyone who can't grasp that concept needs to not be handling money. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

I'm speaking to his claim that it is a.gacha work around.  It is not.  It's a simple vendor.  He seems to be trying to market it as something it is not.

then... if it's just a simple vendor now, who cares how a store wants to do their sales?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

57 minutes ago, Silas Merlin said:

Silas, why not sell the items singly or as a set or groups? It is almost the same as what you have here if you sell them singly. Your art and creativity are amazing and inspiring. Some of the most unique and best art I have seen in virtual. I do hope you can find a solution you are comfortable with going forward.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

so dont play a gacha.. but its always your choice. no one is making you play the gacha... im not gonna go buy a genus head just because i saw a cool skin that only works for genus... i could if I wanted it but i dont want it ENOUGH to do that... thats the point.. you dont want the one item enough to even try the gacha so then its not for you move on. But don't begrudge people that enjoy it just because you don't... there is always things some peole enjoy that you wont, you dont have to participate. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Romy Writer said:

why not sell the items singly or as a set or groups?

Because a drop-in vendor script replacement for gatchas that is within the proposed rules is easier then breaking everything apart and making it all separate.

Edited by Scum Pond
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Romy Writer said:

Silas, why not sell the items singly or as a set or groups? It is almost the same as what you have here if you sell them singly. Your art and creativity are amazing and inspiring. Some of the most unique and best art I have seen in virtual. I do hope you can find a solution you are comfortable with going forward.

That is exactly what I mean.  I don't see the point of this type of machine.  I won't buy what I don't want anyway.  I'll come back again and hope what I do want is up.  A simple vendor would do just that.  I may forget to check back for.that item or give up.and not buy anything.

1 minute ago, never Franizzi said:

so dont play a gacha.. but its always your choice. no one is making you play the gacha... im not gonna go buy a genus head just because i saw a cool skin that only works for genus... i could if I wanted it but i dont want it ENOUGH to do that... thats the point.. you dont want the one item enough to even try the gacha so then its not for you move on. But don't begrudge people that enjoy it just because you don't... there is always things some peole enjoy that you wont, you dont have to participate. 

We're not talking about an actual gacha.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 980 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.