New Gacha Policy Discussion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 959 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have no horse in this game, but I'd like to see gatcha-only items to continue being available through regular sales. I'm concerned that several creators simply won't put the time or effort to convert gatchas into regular vendors, and a substantial amount of really good content will just go poof, only to be sold in MP for even stupider amounts of money.

I am of two minds on this, while it was sucks for creators, it is a huge win for customers. The amount of times I have seen a dress I absolutely adored but had to say no because it involved gambling to get a part of it I reached the point that I was refusing to do business with stores that sold clothing as a gacha but since these things are dead they can get my business back

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Can we just let Gachas die with some dignity? I mean people are trying to find ways to resurrect it in new ways and not realizing, they are just wanting the exact same thing. I have seen posts basically go, this idea works best. Yes, but it has chance involved so yeah it won't work. So let the Gacha die in peace and let us move on from all this. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Tommy Linden said:

Hey guys,

I think the discussion on the taxation of linden dollars is getting a bit derailing. Let's get this train back on the rails in this thread, thanks!

Great idea! Maybe someone can make a separate thread for the tax train.

11 minutes ago, JadusBatmanglij said:

Finally, I don't play gacha a lot, but I had fun with it. The scheme motivates creators to make many beautiful and fun things.  If Ebbe is still around, I think he would agree too. Now I realize much was done in the background, just to let us have fun. Miss him and feeling sad...

Some creators were using those things as an easy money making machine. They took advantage of the human nature of many who would keep trying to get that one item and end up spending all their Lindens on the dumb thing. Some shops went as far as replacing the normal vendors with a stupid gatcha.

1 minute ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

It is gambling, that is the thing. Gacha is a game of chance, and you pay into it, and there is a chance you get a common, rare or ultra rare. I mean sure you get an item everytime, but the same could be said for an RL Slot machine as well. So I usually equate gachas, to an RL slot machine. 

I agree. And like lootboxes in MMOs, they need to be kicked to the kerb.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

What is stopping the same people from selling the items directly instead of in a gacha? All kinds of creators manage to sell their content without resorting to using gachas.

Actually, some creators have starting sending inworld notices in their store groups, announcing the gacha items will be put for regular sale. They will just be increasing the value, something totally normal. 

It is now up to us to continue supporting them. 

• Like 1

I'm going to miss gachas, they are fun but I understand why they must go.

HOWEVER please leave the breedables alone, like others are mentioning, that LL should ban next.  breedables, on here is like breedables in rl its a hit or miss with them, on the traits. You aren't going to fully know, what the genetic traits on an animal til after its born.  Thats a fact. However at least you know you are getting, a cat, dog, wolf etc, when ever you buy them. Also they have you know texts above the heads, to tell you what they are too, what traits they have too. A lot of the breedables actually have websites explaining everything too.

I understand that there are people who create in the breedables community and have gachas with certain items, will have to go. Just don't go after the full breedables thing though =/. 

Plus give the creators that have a lot of gachas more time to get things situated, with there gachas too, they can't always be on second life fixing things, they have real lives too.  Im so sorry to all those who are affected by this decision 😔. Any ways that is all.

23 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Not when everything you buy from now on 100% no-modify.

I avoid no-modify items. Just like I avoid gacha. If folks business begins to dry up from this, they will undoubtedly offer modify items. Content creators often work together, but at the same time they are also in competition with each other. If dollars are being left on the table, someone is going to reach for them.

I've seen several cases where a vendor offers a no mod version and then a mod version for a higher price. I always reach for the mod version.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Diamanda Gustafson said:

I have no horse in this game, but I'd like to see gatcha-only items to continue being available through regular sales. I'm concerned that several creators simply won't put the time or effort to convert gatchas into regular vendors, and a substantial amount of really good content will just go poof, only to be sold in MP for even stupider amounts of money.

I would hope that they will adapt like anyone else. However, if they are unwilling to sell their content directly instead of relying on gachas, then that is on them and it is no loss.

• Like 10

On 8/2/2021 at 11:52 AM, Pixie Kobichenko said:

I always explained-equated gachas to a bubble gum machine.

You know for a quarter you will get a gum ball, but not the color-flavor.  I never felt it was gambling because gambling involves risk of loosing money, where as you get a prize every try with gachas.  
I know my opinion is my own & that there must be reasons the decision was made.  Just =/ to see they’ll be gone.

This is exactly what I felt about them too.  I knew if I paid my 50L or whatever the pull price was I would get an item  pictured as being part of the set. If I go to the corner store though and buy a lottery scratcher for $2.00 I take my chances on getting nothing for the money spent as no cash prize is guaranteed.    

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Elena Core said:

Actually, some creators have starting sending inworld notices in their store groups, announcing the gacha items will be put for regular sale. They will just be increasing the value, something totally normal. 

It is now up to us to continue supporting them. 

I don't typically buy gachas, but I don't agree with the creators putting any current gachas out for regular sale.  People that have already bought the items as gachas, bought them under the condition that they were only available via the gacha or resell.  Putting the existing gacha items out for regular sale seems like a bait-and-switch type tactic -- not exactly, but similar - and possibly devalues the resale market on the items.

I personally think that any existing gacha should always stay only available via gacha machines until the end of Aug and only available via resell after the gacha machine is pulled.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The policy is banning gachas in their current format where you receive a random item for your payment.

Several creators are already working on a solution to offer a new gacha alternative that shows you what you are getting for your payment. Then the machine offers a new item for sale. This should be allowed under the new policy.

https://gyazo.com/01e167001234bf29857c7522ebdb6e89

However, if the policy is interpreted or expanded as you are not allowed to take payment for an item that triggers a random outcome then this type of vendor would not be allowed. But then breedables would fall under this policy because the traits generated are a random outcome after purchase.

We anxiously await the FAQ for answers. 

• Haha 1

Hello. since i saw my vendor here lately, i would like to explain how it works.

Basically vendor shows one item to buy, it will only change that item when someone pays for it, and it will pick random new item from the list, vendor of course will lock to person who is currently using it so it will not allow any prize sniping. So that if a person decided to play longer next prize will always be their to pick first. it can also show what will come next, or it can be turned off to just show one item currently for sale.

i did that prototype because i would really like to know if that will be ok to use. textures in that prototype are just reused from my old vendor, they will have to be changed in the final version of course.

at the end person who pays the vendor ALWAYS know what they will get for that money. 

at the end i would like to say i'm doing gachas just cause it's a way to sell more expensive stuff for cheap, i spend 2-3 months on every gacha i do, and those items are being sold for 100L at the events. and it really brings me joy when someone who dont have a lot of money can buy my mount or avatar for that price, even if they simply didn't get the blue one they really wanted, i can see they really enjoy those items.  i value every single common item in my gachas more than it cost to pull. 

best regards 

Nadi Vemo

vendor pic.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Kyau Brodie said:

Several creators are already working on a solution to offer a new gacha alternative that shows you what you are getting for your payment. Then the machine offers a new item for sale. This should be allowed under the new policy.

Why on earth would they want to even do this?

• Like 3

Gacha were HUGE part of second life economy. We as designer know and see the sales so we know this.

By banning gacha the eneconmy will go down hill and im 100% sure because of this Second Life fees will go UP for buying and selling so they can make up the loss for banning gacha. Remeber second life is a busniess! They need the money , money that won't be longer there!

Is ok you don't have to believe me but watch and see. 

Everyone that are happy about gacha being banned please keep same energy when LL will rise the fees 

Btw making gacha and playing was fun for me (can't say about others) but main income is from normal sales

Before gachas became a way creators could set aside some of their best and most desirable merchandise and then stuff the merch into slot machines, merchants did just fine selling items to residents who purchased a specific item and did not have to accrue 50 things they didn't want. 

I've always felt gachas should have had a regular vendor beside then from which you could purchase copy/mod items for 2-3x the gacha price,  

It's also risky to build a livelihood on an exclusive island like Second Life that could one day go poof.   

• Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Nadi Vemo said:

Basically vendor shows one item to buy, it will only change that item when someone pays for it, and it will pick random new item from the list, vendor of course will lock to person who is currently using it so it will not allow any prize sniping. So that if a person decided to play longer next prize will always be their to pick first. it can also show what will come next, or it can be turned off to just show one item currently for sale.

i did that prototype because i would really like to know if that will be ok to use. textures in that prototype are just reused from my old vendor, they will have to be changed in the final version of course.

at the end person who pays the vendor ALWAYS know what they will get for that money. 

Oh wow, I really would like to know what Linden Lab would make of this. On the surface it would *appear* that it would be allowed, but who knows how they will rule? 

Also, expect an avalanche of such developments and modifications to existing gacha machines over the next month! I'm just glad *I* don't have to evaluate all these gadgets and gizmos. I just get to editorialize 😜

Edited by Vanity Fair
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I don't typically buy gachas, but I don't agree with the creators putting any current gachas out for regular sale.  People that have already bought the items as gachas, bought them under the condition that they were only available via the gacha or resell.  Putting the existing gacha items out for regular sale seems like a bait-and-switch type tactic -- not exactly, but similar - and possibly devalues the resale market on the items.

I personally think that any existing gacha should always stay only available via gacha machines until the end of Aug and only available via resell after the gacha machine is pulled.  

LittleMe, I don't see that as much different from when a merchant offers an individual item or storewide sale. Sucks to be me that the item I previously bought can now be had for much less, but that's the nature of retail.

Edited by Mireille Massiel
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nadi Vemo said:

Hello. since i saw my vendor here lately, i would like to explain how it works.

at the end i would like to say i'm doing gachas just cause it's a way to sell more expensive stuff for cheap, i spend 2-3 months on every gacha i do, and those items are being sold for 100L at the events. and it really brings me joy when someone who dont have a lot of money can buy my mount or avatar for that price, even if they simply didn't get the blue one they really wanted, i can see they really enjoy those items.  i value every single common item in my gachas more than it cost to pull. 

best regards 

Nadi Vemo

Have LL said that this is okay?

Because it still has a random outcome and item as a result of spending money, just a few steps in the future.

Creators had to agree that they would only sell the gachas for the event, and then never again, or as ordinary sales.

I saw @Chic Aeonpost this tens and tens of pages ago. I can not understand that any creators actually did this, since the stores I visit has older gacha machines up from events years ago. 

But if it was such an agreement, is it not dead now since gacha is not allowed anymore? And what was the "punishment" for breaking the role of not selling gachas after an event? Be banned from the event in the future? It will be no more gacha events now, so is the agreement worth anything?

I would like to see the gacha items sold as ordinary goods, instead of letting them die.

1 minute ago, Alwin Alcott said:

the real sploders were banned already yéars ago .. the current ones should NOT require a payment to join. If they do, it's a illegal one.

I thought someone had said that it was okay if you put money in as long as you are guaranteed to always get back at least what you paid in, but maybe get back more.  

I've no clue, because I have never participated in sploders.

2 minutes ago, Vanity Fair said:

Also, expect an avalanche of such developments and modifications to existing gacha machines over the next month! I'm just glad *I* don't have to evaluate all these things.

Yeah, it might end up impacting LL's time like when gambling was banned, but "skill gaming" was allowed if you could get LL to approve your game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pixels Sideways said:

I've always felt gachas should have had a regular vendor beside then from which you could purchase copy/mod items for 2-3x the gacha price,  

100% this

I'd gladly pay the extra to get a copy version of some of the stuff, especially when it's meant to be rezzed rather than worn so you can't just make a dozen shortcuts for every instance you want to use it in.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 959 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.