New Gacha Policy Discussion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 118 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

16 minutes ago, So Whimsy said:

In the games I played that have lootboxes they worked the same way as gacha's. You saw a preview of what you can get and you paid money into it to get one of those items.

I am done now explaining it though as has been done time and time again and I am not sure if you're being deliberately obtuse about it or just trolling at this point.

Just trying to define terms here so we are operating from the same page. Difficult to have a meaningful discussion when we have differing definitions of the relevant terms.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stella Davros said:

So u mean

i mean nothing what you seem to think. But a company lawyer is no law maker, but only advising how and when to implement new or changed laws. And a controlling job to prevent the company getting in trouble for things that are not compying to national and interntional laws. They decide totally nothing.
Even somebody with Suit's experience would know how that works.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

So your objection to Gacha's has nothing to do with LL's stance on the matter and is more of a personal one?

as far i know i have not ( or rarely)  spoken against gacha or for gacha, just on content of the action by LL and individual user posts.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

i mean nothing what you seem to think. But a company lawyer is no law maker, but only advising how and when to implement new or changed laws. And a controlling job to prevent the company getting in trouble for things that are not compying to national and interntional laws. They decide totally nothing.
Even somebody with Suit's experience would know how that works.

But I think that before to post that this "belt" is allowed the lawyer probably advice them if can be possible or not and the think is "now you can buy what you see"

Edited by Stella Davros

2 minutes ago, Stella Davros said:

But I think that before to post that this "belt" is allowed the lawyer probably advice them if can be possible or not

i think not, but that's going in assumptions
We simply don't know how that descision is made.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 1

if they do carry on with the conveyor belt and it is buy what you see..... and you don't have to buy 6 other pieces of junk you don't want before you can buy the item you can see that you do want ... then why not just use a normal vendor!!!

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, Aria Fae said:

if they do carry on with the conveyor belt and it is buy what you see..... and you don't have to buy 6 other pieces of junk you don't want before you can buy the item you can see that you do want ... then why not just use a normal vendor!!!

Well, this is obvious.  They just want more money, for you to waste it getting items you don't want.  You know this, I know this, and they know this.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Aria Fae said:

Yeah they might "SEE" whats available to buy ... but they have zero control over what appears on that conveyor belt ... and if it only shows ten items and all ten need to be purchased before it randomises another ten ... what's to stop creators from hiding the rare or the optical illusion that the rare will be number 11.... and if you only want item number 9 on the current selection.. if someone has to purchase 1 through 8 on the belt before you can get number 9... then yeah its crooked 

Personally, I won't buy from a vendor that doesn't allow me to cycle through all products on it before buying. It's as close as I will ever get to shopping with my mother again. She was the only shopping buddy I ever had.

• Like 1

That conveyor thing sounds more like work than fun..

I'd probably just not do it and go regular shopping.. hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Stella Davros said:

@Patch Lindeni would like to say that this thread became ridicoulous, it's quiet offensive to read that all the people who like to play gacha or somenthing similar are classified as "addicted" "junkies" or "unable to do math" ,  here people judge even you as CEO, and i think this is not the purpose of this thread , for the conveyor belt i think that is a good idea cause like this the customers will know in advance what item they will buy and will have the ability to choose if buy it or not, it would be great if into the vendor could be implemented the option to buy the entire set for the price that the creator considers "fair" ( considering the fact that the items are resalable and the number of items of the set too, example DRD was doing that if u don t wanna play with the machine you could buy the entire set for 7000L) , this is only my advice,  of course LL will take the decision, for the rest i hope that this thread have to be closed soon and keep only the update open, people are losing the control of the words.....regards

Perhaps I was not clear @Stella Davros I was not intending to say that everyone who has ever taken a pull at a gacha is addicted or math challenged.  But those of us who do make internal rules for ourselves, ie a 3 pull limit or whatever, are NOT the audience being sought by these predatory selling practices as they don't make most of their money off of us.  Where they ARE making their money is people who can not  help but throw as many lindens as it takes to get the thing they want and do not have those internal safeguards.  

Is it really so hard to just make stuff people want to buy the usual way? Really?  Those sets of 20 items that you see in gachas are 10 of them really needed or were they just those ugly puce and chartreuse  teacups to round out the set when what people really want is the table and chairs?   

My aim is not to insult everyone, please do not take me the wrong way.  I simply do not buy the whole logic that says "well, I just won't sell as much if I don't put it in a cheap gacha!"  There are plenty of shops out there selling things with normal prices and people are buying just fine.  If you make quality stuff at reasonable prices it is possible to make a go of it.  

I find myself railing against the conveyors because it seems like more of the same, only worse for the consumer.  There will be lines as people have to wait for the people in front of them to finish before using it or else having the rares sniped right out from under them.  Even those of us with a "3 pull limit" or whatever will probably be tempted to go for 5 or 6 to get that one item.  And when they seee that 5 or 6 more out from that one is something else rare.  Nopes, not for me.  Even if LL allows them to go forward, I find myself 100% disinclined to consider buying anything from merchants who buy into that selling method, full stop.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Gacha racks up the cash as you don't think about how much it might actually cost to get the item, it's a flutter and every roll has the same chance .. at least you hope.

Conveyor invites you ponder, to do the math and wait. It's chilling, there is no way these will take off.

I don't even feel inclined to browse them.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Dictatorshop said:

Perhaps I was not clear @Stella Davros I was not intending to say that everyone who has ever taken a pull at a gacha is addicted or math challenged.  But those of us who do make internal rules for ourselves, ie a 3 pull limit or whatever, are NOT the audience being sought by these predatory selling practices as they don't make most of their money off of us.  Where they ARE making their money is people who can not  help but throw as many lindens as it takes to get the thing they want and do not have those internal safeguards.  

3 pull limit on an a box that has 20+ items in it? So basically you (or the hypothetical) were only playing for the rare, had no interest in anything else but to sell the rare for some obscene price and had no interest in the set. So ya you were basically gambling. The rest of us were enjoying a different shopping experience.  And not all gacha vendors were predatory. Yes of course some were but they weren't the majority.

Edited by Finite

2 minutes ago, Finite said:

3 pull limit on an a box that has 20+ items in it? So basically you were only playing for the rare, had no interest in anything else but to sell the rare for some obscene price and had no interest in the set. So ya you were basically gambling. The rest of us were enjoying a different shopping experience.  And not all gacha vendors were predatory. Yes of course some were but they weren't the majority.

Key word being "weren't". As in, the past. 

That simply means there are far more predatory sellers in SL now than there were 10 years ago or 15 years ago. Or even 1 year ago.

Not a pretty picture by any means.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Finite said:

3 pull limit on an a box that has 20+ items in it? So basically you were only playing for the rare, had no interest in anything else but to sell the rare for some obscene price and had no interest in the set. So ya you were basically gambling. The rest of us were enjoying a different shopping experience.  And not all gacha vendors were predatory. Yes of course some were but they weren't the majority.

I am not a collector, and in fact only will even bother with a gacha if i like everything in it and i dont mind getting non-rares too.  I have learned my lesson on those 20 piece sets where there are only 3 things i might like and 17 that i consider useless teacups.  An outfit from a gacha, no way not in my world!  I typically play gachas for things like wearable critters or things like that where i think they are all cute.  But that is me.  If I want something, I just want to buy it and get it over with.  If it means I have to buy a fat pack to get the gold outfit or the one with the darling boho pattern then that is what i do, or i just grab the solid in a color i like from the vendor and call it done. Easy, as it should be.

I have never resold a gacha item.  I have gifted a few and tossed those old lessons learned.  I have my own stuff to sell that I made myself, why would I want to become somebody else's reseller?

Edited by Dictatorshop
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Key word being "weren't". As in, the past. 

That simply means there are far more predatory sellers in SL now than there were 10 years ago or 15 years ago. Or even 1 year ago.

Not a pretty picture by any means.

I wish we were able to name names because that isn't the experience I've had playing gacha for the past year. I can think of 2 off the top of my head that I wouldn't play again. I just feel a lot of people with so much angst toward gacha actually gambled on it and didnt get the result they liked. And they think everyone who played it was also gambling since thats what they did themselves. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Finite said:

I wish we were able to name names because that isn't the experience I've had playing gacha for the past year. I can think of 2 off the top of my head that I wouldn't play again. I just feel a lot of people with so much angst toward gacha actually gambled on it and didnt get the result they liked. And they think everyone who played it was also gambling since thats what they did themselves. 

It's why I never posted a pic of the gachas I have in my inventory.  Naming and Shaming would get me punished, but you'd see many top sellers who have exploited the system, since I see no reason for me to have 12 copies of the same common just to try and get a rare.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Komarimono said:

It's why I never posted a pic of the gachas I have in my inventory.  Naming and Shaming would get me punished, but you'd see many top sellers who have exploited the system, since I see no reason for me to have 12 copies of the same common just to try and get a rare.

I would? So you didn't like gachas because you feel they exploited you but played them enough anyways to get 12 copies of the same thing on multiple occasions it seems. Ya you should probably stay away from gacha if this is how you play.

21 minutes ago, Finite said:

They wouldn't be wrong. 

1. Addiction affects the brain.
  2. Addiction may co-occur with other mental issues.
  3. You (general) don't really know you are addicted.
  4. You're (general) in denial.
  5. You're (general) afraid to get treatment.

Gambling can be an addiction. It can be just as devastating and destructive as being addicted to drugs or alcohol or any other substance abuse disorder.

A short list of some addictions:

• smart phones
  • caffeine
  • chocolate
  • shopping
  • plastic surgery
  • tanning
  • exercise
  • social media
  • sex

We know people can be addicted to all those things. The problem is people still deny those things can be addictive. That is what is happening here. 

3 minutes ago, Komarimono said:

Typically the fatpacks are mostly copies of the product in colors or for bodies I will never use and there can well be a predatory nature to them when only the fatpack itself includes a hud option that does more then just change the color of texture. Some examples from the past include a panty or bra removable button, poses etc. The fatpacks are guaranteed to cost 1000L-2000L whereas the parts of a gacha I want may cost me significantly less. The parts I don't need I can sell, trade, give to alts or friends, none of which I can do with the typical fatpack parts. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Komarimono said:

since I see no reason for me to have 12 copies of the same common just to try and get a rare.

I see you never played for a cottage gacha with common fencing pieces...

3 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

We know people can be addicted to all those things. The problem is people still deny those things can be addictive. That is what is happening here. 

I have a shopping addiction in real! My recovery has been to substitute S/L to get my fix. Costs me oodles less and it stores so much easier!

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I have a shopping addiction in real! My recovery has been to substitute S/L to get my fix. Costs me oodles less and it stores so much easier!

All I am going to say is this, substituting one addiction for another doesn't help recovery.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Typically the fatpacks are mostly copies of the product in colors or for bodies I will never use and there can well be a predatory nature to them when only the fatpack itself includes a hud option that does more then just change the color of texture. Some examples from the past include a panty or bra removable button, poses etc. The fatpacks are guaranteed to cost 1000L-2000L whereas the parts of a gacha I want may cost me significantly less. The parts I don't need I can sell, trade, give to alts or friends, none of which I can do with the typical fatpack parts. 

I'd happily pay $10 USD, which is a little over 2k $L, for a quality product.  Vs having to spend thousands more trying to get something from a Gacha.  I literally have 2,713 Gachas I have no use for, and cannot get rid of other then deleting them, just for trying for things like a Uncommon shoulder piece, or a rare corset, or boots that come with a HUD, or gloves that fit my body I want to style.  And yes...  There's Gachas where even the body you get is random!  So you'll get the item, but it's for Maitreya and not for Freya.

Edited by Komarimono
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 118 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.