New Gacha Policy Discussion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 986 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Trinity1776 said:

Question: would this ruling apply to hunts where you are paying a certain amount to get the item, and not knowing which item you receive till you open the box?

Someone else said that it wouldn't because everyone is getting the exact same thing, no variance, even if you don't know exactly what the item is.

Worst case, the stores will have to always display a picture of their hunt prize - which I'd much prefer anyway.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

So many people do not seem to understand that their view of whether or not Gacha is gambling or should be allowed is not what matters. 

It is all about how Gacha is defined within the laws.  If LL's legal team tells them that Gachas need to stop, then LL will stop Gachas.  Noting any Resident says will matter.

While I totally agree with you, this thread was not created to debate of the legality of gachas. It was to gather concerns and questions about how the whole process will go... It turned out differently lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

If an item is being sold through normal channels after the event, then it is no longer an enticement as an exclusive. Why bother with buying it at the event then?

It's a moot point now since there will be no more gacha events.  The rules change now that they can't sell their item as gacha nor as a regular item.  Any agreement should be null and void and they should be able to continue selling THEIR product.  

24 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Jian responded yesterday in a blog post, here.

"As previously announced on our blog, we are already in the process of making all of our gachas into fatpacks available as copy / no transfer product collections.

"We will be expediting this process and making all of our gacha collections available as fatpack collections to the best of our ability before the 30-day grace period ends on September 1st."

Hooray! I love Jian pets, so this is good news. Thanks for letting me know 😄

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

It's a moot point now since there will be no more gacha events.  The rules change now that they can't sell their item as gacha nor as a regular item.  Any agreement should be null and void and they should be able to continue selling THEIR product.  

They can sell it as a regular item, some stores have already said they are going to do that. 

• Like 2

There was life before gachas, there will be life after.   I mean, maybe some creators will leave, but there are creators who didn't make the jump to mesh, there are those who left for other reasons, it's a cycle of things.

• Like 3

I am SAD and GLAD...I have pumped so much money into some GACHAS and gotten CRAP but then there are other stores who are kind with their odds ... Pumec and The Forge for example...where within five pulls of most of their Gacha venders you can get a RARE.  This weekend all three of my avatars got RARE Fatpacks  for less than $300L. Then just try to get an outfit out of Zenith without paying a fortune. Sorry to DRAG  but I think unfair venders caused this and I am sad for all the fair venders.

9 minutes ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

Please tell me this is sarcasm.

You must understand that English is not Silas’ first language. He may not have recognized “adapt or die” as a saying or metaphor. We all need to put ourselves in the other person’s shoes a bit in this discussion. Please, everyone be kind. 

Silas is a talented artist in both SL and Sansar, who told me he feels this change will lead to him shuttering his gallery and store in Second Life. (I’m trying to talk him out of it.)

Edited by Vanity Fair
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

There is always the option to buy from a regular vendor in their mainstore. It's not like the store only has gachas.

Not always.  Some stores are exclusively gacha stores with no option to simply purchase.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

I am in Flickr, adding my new releases to other Flickr groups I wasn't a member of. I see that a store is taking advantage of the coming ban. They are now offering a very, very cheap gacha sale, and that some gachas may be available as fatpacks, with a 50% discount. 

There is the lure to bring you to their store. You "may" find something is offered as a gacha fatpack at 50% off, or you may not. LOL

Why even resort to that type of behavior? They could have stated how many discounted gacha fatpacks are available with the numerical amount. 

*shakes head*

I see notices popping up left and right in world doing the same thing. I suppose they want to get the most they can out of it before it goes away. I can't fault that.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ananoelle said:

Play gacha and you will probably pay the same price as a fatpack trying to get what you want!  js

there's a thing called the marketplace, yo. Some of us are more endowed financially than others, or its rather our choice to indulge in the fun of a rouletted gacha. We choose not to drink Starbucks to afford our love of gacha, it honestly doesn't hurt those who don't have a knack for impulsive gambling. I also enjoy the ability to transfer/sell items made by other's and the micro marketplace it has made for non-creators or beginners to enjoy exceptionally inexpensive, quality items.

Further more though... why does any government have a say in how we spend our fkn money!?

Edited by Cancer Triellis
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Wow, I just saw a store notice about their gacha sale where things will be from 5L - 25L.  

I imagine everyone wants to pull in as many buyers as possible in this last month.

You might have seen a notice for a reseller shop where they always list their gachas items to sell at anywhere between 5-25L depending in the item and how long they have had that item. 

Just now, Badpixie Nightfire said:

You might have seen a notice for a reseller shop where they always list their gachas items to sell at anywhere between 5-25L depending in the item and how long they have had that item. 

Nope, this notice was from the original creator, and a fairly well know one at that -- actually 3 creators in the same region are doing the sale together.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Cancer Triellis said:

there's a thing called the marketplace, yo. Some of us are more endowed financially than others, or its rather our choice to indulge in the fun of a rouletted gacha. We choose not to drink Starbucks to afford our love of gacha, it honestly doesn't hurt those who don't have a knack for impulsive gambling. I also enjoy the ability to transfer/sell items made by other's and the micro marketplace it has made for non-creators or beginners to enjoy exceptionally inexpensive, quality items.

Further more though... why does any government have a say in how we spend our fkn money!?

OMG, sorry, the excuse of that any government has any say into how we spend out money is one arguement pulled in by the hairs. Yes, I am allowed to spend my money by my government into whatever I want, as long it isn't into illegal activities. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Infierna Bloodrose said:

So glad to see the end of the gachas!  FINALLY!

It will finally be nice to  be able to buy an entire outfit or set and just be able to buy it outright without plugging  Lindens endlessly into a machine or scouring the marketplace for missing pieces.  I think the whole gacha sales idea was a huge rip off  for the SL buyer. Great for the creator. Horrid for the buyer. It also promoted big trouble for people with even slight gambling addiction tendencies. I saw so many friends  run into trouble with this.

Gacha wasn't a fun  harmless bubble gum machine where you got a happy surprise for 50 Linden. It was imply a way to entice people to stand there and spend more money than necessary (and hopefully even empty their wallet toward the endless carrot on a stick of THE ULTRA RARES). 

Seriously doing the happy dance. R.I.P gacha. Thank You LL♥

I literally am cheering with you. I despise gachas. good riddance!

• Like 1

Who exactly are the regulators here? What is so offending about gacha when there are so many worse things about SL that are in need of regulation? No one forces another person to play gacha. If I choose to play gacha that´s on me. There is no victim. The seller got paid and the buyer got their item. What is this really about? I´m asking rhetorically. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Cancer Triellis said:

Do you not think that, at the very least, governments have a legitimate interest in regulating online games of chance to protect the public from fraud and to disrupt money laundering?

Gaming and money laundering regulations aren't drawn up with SL in mind, of course, but they still apply, and it really is a regulatory minefield.    Regulators world-wide are taking an increasing interest in loot packs and gatchas, and I can well see why LL don't want to go anywhere near something that could easily land them with either substantial fines or a heavy reporting burden (that's one reason they split off Tilia).

It's not that anyone's particularly gunning for SL gatchas, but they're certainly going after loot boxes and SL gatchas are so likely to be caught by at least some of the new reporting and licencing regimes that I can really see what LL just want to get rid of that potentially very grave risk completely.

• Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 986 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.