Reasonable price for parcel in Blake Sea?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 996 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What is a reasonable price for a waterfront parcel on or near Blake Sea? (in L$ per m² obviously)

I'm aware some people list their parcels for sale for a long period at an extortionate amount in the hope that they get lucky. This makes it somewhat difficult to tell what is a reasonable price. By reasonable, I mean a price for a parcel that wouldn't be too difficult to resell and at least break-even in the not too distant future. 

Appreciate it is subjective to some degree and obviously they're worth whatever people are willing to pay but it would be good to get some kind of perspective into what people would actually pay. For example, there is one parcel near Blake Sea that is not even a full sized sim, yet being advertised at more than $8000US!! When I asked the seller what price he was willing to drop down to, he was quite blunt and rude, so I never bothered replying to him! Surely not worth $8000 USD?!

For reference, this is the parcel in question:
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Meddledown/105/164/25

Cheers

Ex

Edited by Exavor Diesel

47 minutes ago, Exavor Diesel said:

What is a reasonable price for a waterfront parcel on or near Blake Sea? (in L$ per m² obviously)

I'm aware some people list their parcels for sale for a long period at an extortionate amount in the hope that they get lucky. This makes it somewhat difficult to tell what is a reasonable price. By reasonable, I mean a price for a parcel that wouldn't be too difficult to resell and at least break-even in the not too distant future. 

Appreciate it is subjective to some degree and obviously they're worth whatever people are willing to pay but it would be good to get some kind of perspective into what people would actually pay. For example, there is one parcel near Blake Sea that is not even a full sized sim, yet being advertised at more than $8000US!! When I asked the seller what price he was willing to drop down to, he was quite blunt and rude, so I never bothered replying to him! Surely not worth $8000 USD?!

Cheers

Ex

Looking around the area you mention there's a slightly smaller parcel for sale at a little less L$/sqm, a few regions north of the one you mention. Looking at smaller parcels though, the L$/sqm rate increases drastically it seems. There's no way to know whether you'd be able to resell a parcel at a later date and cover your initial investment, and the amounts concerned really are too high to make one want to speculate. I really would advise you to look at renting. There are several estates in and around the Blake Sea, and some mainland water access parcels that are perfectly reasonable.

If you have your heart set on owning, then I'd suggest watching parcels to see if they sell, although you're not going to know how much they actually sold for. Look out for purple overlay on the map, as these are auctions. You'll see the sort of prices people pay on those as they stay on the auction page a couple of weeks after selling. It's rare to see auctions in the area you want though, but having said that, there was a cluster recently which has added to the available rentals. Overall though, I think you're in for disappointment :( 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Exavor Diesel said:

Cheers

Ex

The price of this sim is US $8000. That seems crazy to me, but actually, not when you consider that a Mainland sim on the auction 17 years ago, namely Ravenglass, cost me US $1501 as a prime (then) waterfront sim. Today, you wouldn't get that for Mainland in Sansara. You will get more than that for white sandy sailing beaches -- and not because the seller is hoping to "get lucky".

It's actually a very hard-nosed business decision. Consider the amount of tier he has to pay: US $175 per month. So he can afford to keep this sim at this price for sale for even *3 years or more* and still make a profit. If it sells in a year, he'll make a whopping profit. I don't recall what he paid on the auction but it was like US $2000 I believe, or even if three times that much, he can wait months and months paying tier, having eaten that big purchase price, *and still make a profit*. That is why they do it. That is why there are very big players who actually in RL terms don't invest that much, perhaps $25,000 or even $50,000 or more but then make huge returns if they are patient.

I want to compare and contrast this $8000 "Ocenfront" with some nearby sims on this mainly abandoned pink mountain. There's one called Crespo I bought for a mere $32,000 Lindens on the auction for 0.05/Lindens -- that's US $128. It took me months to build and landscape and get tenants and more than a year later, I can say that it only has a very small profit. If anything, I lost money making crazy builds and trying this or that. It requires constant attention and customer service and work whereas for this fellow in Meddledown, he can go play Fortnite and wait for the big kaching.

Or compare and contrast to a sim next to this one, only not waterfront -- Kuhnke. I saw that sim come and go on the auction and I think the current owner didn't pay more than US $250 for it, a fraction of the cost of that waterfront. She has laboured intensively and created gorgeous builds and rentals and will likely make more than I did because she's a better builder with a theme more people like and probably has more time to do CS than me, I don't know. I will watch with interest the "Tale of Two Sims" here -- or "Tale of Three Sims" play out which is like "Rich Dad, Poor Dad."  If I lose a few long-term tenants paying for platforms in the sky, plus a lot of tinier ones, that sim will join the ranks of the abandoned all around it a year from now, $175 a month is a lot to pay on something that can't pay for itself, you know? At least for me.

A year from now, "Ocenfront," with its build with its rather modest landscaping and build thrown together in half an hour may sell at a fantastic price; the price may be lowered; or he may turn it into rentals which are a more reliable source of income. But I bet it will sit here, and then someone will pay that. Stay tuned. This is Second Life. This is how it works. This. Go and look.

Is $36/m a "reasonable" price? Well, it's a whole sim. The rental income potential from it is enormous if you buy it. You might work nights and weekends for a year getting it running due to a lot of competition, but you will make a lot of rentals money in the end. I see Blake 4096s going for $100/m.

Go to this area. Look at the three sims and styles of economic activity in SL. Draw your own conclusion. I personally tell my tenants to fly to those Linden sims with rez areas a few sims away in Blake Sea if they want to launch a boat. They can fly, you know? Why should I pay thousands of dollars of real money and chase them for rent in a world where you can fly and the Lindens have rez areas? Why should I even pay a landscaper or buy all that fancy landscaping when it would take a year to make back? But I bet that more skillful rentals agent next to me will do well.

Edited by Prokofy Neva

Just now, Lindal Kidd said:

I sold my land a few months ago. It's not actually ON the Blake Sea, but the wide channel that it is on has direct access to the Blake. The selling price was roughly $L30 per m2

I could never buy Blake land because I also want to buy groceries, you know? And it would require a lot of work and time to try to "get back" what you pay into it. I have talked to the rentals agents along Blake including some of the biggest ones. These people have no lives, they are endlessly in SL not only with individual CS but having to make attractive builds, manage staff etc. Not for me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

And it would require a lot of work and time to try to "get back" what you pay into it. I have talked to the rentals agents along Blake including some of the biggest ones. These people have no lives, they are endlessly in SL not only with individual CS but having to make attractive builds

That's pretty much why I sold. It was fun managing the Masocado Resort for quite a few years, but it eventually got to seem like work, and for less and less return

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Exavor Diesel said:

Cheers

Ex

I think the more outrageous prices are chancing a sale and really using the land for sale indicator as a way to advertise that it is available to rent.

I would suggest looking around Hollywood, Sailors Cove, Second Norway, Snug Harbour estates for rentals, I don't think those estates are going anywhere any time soon.

They keep to a planned theme more, and you don't have to remortgage your home to meet the initial outlay in costs to buy them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anna Nova said:

@Prokofy Neva @Lindal Kidd  I never knew!  I thought you guys just had fun, like me.  Sad.

What did I do in the last hour that I cannot get back?

I spent 20 minutes trying to explain to someone whose first language is not English that he has double or more the prims allowed on his rental. This happens in groups all the time. He kept ranting and ranting and not grasping that management prims did not count (a build and landscaping), but only his prims, and the menu shows his prims (*sent screenshot*). I gave him a prim counter. But that means deeding the item -- and in a place where it can't be moved. 9/10 people fail to deed the counter and say "it doesn't work" after you tell them sometimes even 3 times they need to deed it.

Why do Lindens hide the information of who has what prims on the land menu, and make it only visible to the owners/officers? (This may be different in Firestorm). Just one of the many obstacles to trying to do this job reasonably in SL. I am drafting a post just on all these annoyances, and have to remember to include that one.

When someone is 9 years old, and the "messages cap" thing is getting pretty threadbare after multiple messages including when they are online, you realize this is just a shill, a dodge, a way to just do what you want and exasperate landlords. So I start returning things, then they get the idea.

Another 20 minutes simply trying to find a person whose rental has expired and someone wants to take it but they've paid for on time usually and have been there for ages. But I can't pull them up from their prims (because it is impossible to find them in search with search broken).

Why?

That stupid thing making you log in to see people's profiles over and over during one session is on, one of the stupidest bugs (features?) on SL which they never fix (note: include that one too). 

When I finally get re-logged on, I see their profile must be hidden -- which is why I tried to pull it up, that sometimes work. The group isn't loading. OK the group is loaded finally. Where are they? System name and display name radically differ, I try various versions, can't find -- but you know you can't search on full names you pull off a prim or rental box, you have to just try a few letters (yet another annoyance). Finally I give up. Maybe they left the group. But did they leave because they left the rental? Their prims are still there. Or leave just because they needed groups, happens all the time. So...One person hasn't paid. Another will pay. I will try to find the first one another place.

Then I decide that I'd like to go and see a.n.c.'s new gatcha, having spent 40 minutes of hard labour, before I return to my RL job, which is a cake walk compared to this. But I forget that you have to look for him not as {anc} or anc but a.n.c. Art Nature Capering I think it means. I can't find him. Maybe he's not in search? I seem to see his name aki69 fly by but it keeps saying whoops, not in search. Oh, re-log into my viewer yet again! What is it with that crap?! I then do what I always do, find his product, pull out the LM, but it must be ancient, it takes me to some place not his store for the last years. So I then recall his store is on the Mainland, God bless him, and he's in a sim that has a name of an East European country's capital, Riga, only not Riga, as I look in search but...him....finally find Rigi. I go there, yep there are those big Tolkien statues. But he's in the sky. Where is he? Dodge some return-home bans, get back and finally walla, I'm in his dark store with the shiny glimmery stuff. Why the store? Because I can't remember the event that he was at and shuffling through a bunch of last week's, I can't find it. I figure he has some kind of board up showing you where his event is. No, apparently not. Finally I stumble on Crystal Heart, and there he is. Whew! Yes, I made a landmark, but I'll have to remember to search for it right....

Exhausting, no?

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

But I can't pull them up from their prims

Right-click -> edit the prim; click on their name on the first tab. Is that really not working on the official viewer (that I can't use because my OS isn't well supported) ?

That stupid thing making you log in to see people's profiles over and over during one session is on, one of the stupidest bugs (features?) on SL which they never fix (note: include that one too). 

http://my.secondlife.com/prokofy.neva/

http://my.secondlife.com/Quistess.Alpha/

Http://my.secondlife.com/AethelWine/ (as an example for somoene without a fancy lastname)

Edited by Quistess Alpha

38 minutes ago, Quistess Alpha said:

Right-click -> edit the prim; click on their name on the first tab. Is that really not working on the official viewer (that I can't use because my OS isn't well supported) ?

http://my.secondlife.com/prokofy.neva/

http://my.secondlife.com/Quistess.Alpha/

Http://my.secondlife.com/AethelWine/ (as an example for somoene without a fancy lastname)

No, it's making you log in again. Huge annoyance. I got yours to work.

See what I mean:

https://gyazo.com/6995e5636ab6cda53a71627f016f0ddb

Does adding "resident" help?

Nope.

https://gyazo.com/4fc09fceaa0c558cc573016c67748a73

And no, I don't want to scroll through 2,082 results to find this famous artist who has a rather unique name who should be on top.

Edited by Prokofy Neva

42 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

No, it's making you log in again. Huge annoyance. I got yours to work.

See what I mean:

https://gyazo.com/6995e5636ab6cda53a71627f016f0ddb

Does adding "resident" help?

Nope.

https://gyazo.com/4fc09fceaa0c558cc573016c67748a73

And no, I don't want to scroll through 2,082 results to find this famous artist who has a rather unique name who should be on top.

A viewer logs you out like that? 😮 Is it just that viewer, have you tried others?

10 hours ago, Exavor Diesel said:

The amount someone is willing to pay, is the reasonable price for a waterfront at the Blake Sea. Or anywhere else.
There are no fixed prices.
How big is ones desire to get that parcel?
I personally wouldn't pay much more than 1L$ per square meter.
But that is me, I have no huge desire to live there.

Edited by Sid Nagy

17 hours ago, Quistess Alpha said:

If you already know a resident's name You don't need to search for them!

https://my.secondlife.com/aki69

Just type in the correct URL in the first place.

Yeah, I realize. I've been in SL 17 years now.

So there are three problems with your suggestion:

1. Often, trying to pull up someone's profile like this, the system makes you relog to the web page with your password, even thought you *already logged into SL*. And it does this not once during a session, as claimed, but many times. PS you have to remember to re-check M and A when it does this because it defaults to G only.

2. Pulling this up in the internal browser takes forever.

3. Sure, put it outside on the website but...This profile shows no picks or groups or anything at all. It may have been put that way deliberately to stop being harassed about failure to win gatchas (a frequent annoyance), but it means you can't pull up a pick or a group to TP to the store. That was the whole reason for searching for this name, remember?

10 minutes ago, Quistess Alpha said:

Even when not logged into my SL account, I can see on their profile that their mainstore is http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Rigi/43/101/3799 and I can see the have a few picks. . .

And this Aki has info both to his store and his homepage. The latest image of the gacha and direct teleport to the event.

I do hate those who can't update their profile with relevant new info, but Aki69 does it right.

I agree that stores with short names are silly. Two or three letters can mean absolutely anything and everything. I spent time looking for LG that turned out to be LaGyo. Five letters and an unique name. Why is it so hard?

On the other side, three letters is absolutely searchable on the Marketplace. Searching for anc brought up the store at first try. Only letters. When I look for a store I always try MP. One of the reasons you should at least have some items there and a teleport direct to your store. Maybe I am the only one who uses the MP so much.

akitoyc.jpg.474165ced6f239e01e7eb175197cadc9.jpg

On 8/1/2021 at 3:38 AM, Prokofy Neva said:

Another 20 minutes simply trying to find a person whose rental has expired and someone wants to take it but they've paid for on time usually and have been there for ages. But I can't pull them up from their prims (because it is impossible to find them in search with search broken).

Option 1: Right click on the object, go to "Object Profile". It will show you the owner. Clicking on the name will allow you to pull up their profile; right-clicking it will allow you to IM them directly without going through their profile at all.

Option 2: Go to the "Conversations" panel, click on the button with the "+". Type in what you know about their name. When you see the name in the list (works perfectly for "aki69"), hit OK. This opens an IM with them and also gives you the option to pay, add to group, etc.

Both options are from the official Linden viewer and have been there for ages; neither use the web search at all.

Edited by Theresa Tennyson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 996 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.