keep huds information

fascicularia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1000 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone,

I have a problem for which I cannot find a solution.

I am creating several avatars with similar bases (head and body). I modify the shape and give it a new name. On this side everything is working well.

The problem is at the level of certain parameters of the avatar which are governed by huds (coloring of the skin of the head and the body, color of the eyes, facial and body hair, color of the tongue and a few other parameters).

As soon as I change the avatar, my shape is named correctly but the parameters governed by the huds remain on those of the previous avatar.

No matter how much I empty my caches, the problem remains the same.

In the end, if I want to change the avatar during the day, I have to completely take over the part that the huds manage.

Out of curiosity, I kept the huds present during the registration of my avatar, telling me that the settings would be kept in this way, but it is not. The huds appear fine, but do not store any information specific to the avatar called, but only the last settings that I entered (ie those of the last avatar created).

My question is: what is the element that keeps the information set through the huds and, is it possible to save it for a specific avatar.

Sorry if my question may seem silly but not being on sl for only 5 months, I will admit that I am missing some subtleties. Logic would like a file to keep this information to apply to each request, but I can not find anything which looks like it in what is worn by the avatar. The head alpha and the body alpha also remain devoid of any texture.

Thank you in advance for your answers

Are we talking about, for example, LeLutka and Maitreya HUDs?

Are you ever making new copies of said HUDs for any of your shapes?

If you use the same HUD over and over again, it's no wonder that you always end up with the settings of your last avatar. They simply aren't meant to store a completely different set of settings.

37 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Are we talking about, for example, LeLutka and Maitreya HUDs?

Are you ever making new copies of said HUDs for any of your shapes?

If you use the same HUD over and over again, it's no wonder that you always end up with the settings of your last avatar. They simply aren't meant to store a completely different set of settings.

Hello Lillith, thanks for this help.

I will admit that I do not really know on what basis this complete body bought on the market place was made; I know it is a bento box but nothing more. For having made tests with various hud that I have in my inventory, it responds quite well to the huds from Lelutka, at least as regards the head (I tested with a hud for the piercings and, the modification is well recorded at the level of the elements worn by the avatar).

Here is the seller's link for your information; it is his only creation besides:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/pLelutka/MrPoet-Sigurd-Full-Bento-Mesh-Avatar/22164161

I actually use the same huds assuming that the choices made would be automatically saved in a folder specific to each avatar. It seems logical considering how the other elements that make up an avatar work.

As it stands, this is not the case so that a hud can only be used once.

I am trying to duplicate the huds in question. Install them in a folder with the name of the outfit and name the folder and its components in the outfit. We will see if it works.

25 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Are you making a completely new copy of the body or copy as link?  

Hello Rowan, thanks for this help.
I copy again the links of the body and the head from the unpacked box

It sounds like you are making edits to links of your body/head. This happens when you either a) copy an item and choose "paste as link" instead of just "paste;" or b) when you save an outfit. Outfits save as a series of links back to the original items. Any changes you make are to the original item the link goes back to, not to a separate object. So, if I wear a dress and use it's HUD to color it blue, then save that outfit - and then I wear the same dress and use the HUD to turn it pink and save THAT outfit -when I wear the blue outfit, the dress will be pink even though it was blue when I saved the outfit. ETA: You can tell an item is a link because it's name will appear in italics in your inventory, and with an interlocked chain icon next to it.

There are a couple of ways to circumvent this.

1) Copy any changeable items (head, body, clothes, anything that can be changed with a HUD). Rename the copies something identifiable, like "Catwa Majer Red Lips" if you've got bright red lipstick on, etc. (Or use whatever you're going to name the outfit as a whole) Wear all those relevant copies and save your outfit using the save outfit feature. Make sure to take them off the next time you want to make any changes! The outfit will still be a bunch of links, but they'll be links to specific items for that look only, not to a generic original.

2) Do the same as written above, but instead of saving an outfit, make a new inventory folder with a convenient name you'll recognize and move the copies here. When I do this, I like to also take a snapshot of my outfit and save it in the folder for a quick reference to what the outfit looks like, but this is optional.

The downside to either method is that your inventory can get pretty bloated with all those copies, so organization is key!

The takeaway here is to make sure any changes you make are to a copy of your items, not to the original or to a link. Another thing to mention is that with BoM skins and makeup, if you have BoM activated, your body will use whatever system layers you have on. Make sure you save your outfits with the skin and makeup, etc. you want to wear with it.

P.S. You can also, once you've finished making your changes to a copy, delete the scripts from it. This will prevent you from making changes to the scripted item (body, head, etc.) I don't recommend this because I'm too afraid I'll ruin something unintentionally.

Edited by Ariel Vuissent
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fascicularia said:

Hello Lillith, thanks for this help.

I will admit that I do not really know on what basis this complete body bought on the market place was made; I know it is a bento box but nothing more. For having made tests with various hud that I have in my inventory, it responds quite well to the huds from Lelutka, at least as regards the head (I tested with a hud for the piercings and, the modification is well recorded at the level of the elements worn by the avatar).

Here is the seller's link for your information; it is his only creation besides:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/pLelutka/MrPoet-Sigurd-Full-Bento-Mesh-Avatar/22164161

I actually use the same huds assuming that the choices made would be automatically saved in a folder specific to each avatar. It seems logical considering how the other elements that make up an avatar work.

As it stands, this is not the case so that a hud can only be used once.

I am trying to duplicate the huds in question. Install them in a folder with the name of the outfit and name the folder and its components in the outfit. We will see if it works.

Hello Rowan, thanks for this help.
I copy again the links of the body and the head from the unpacked box

That marketplace link says it doesn't exist.

Whatever you got there, it's gone from the Marketplace... and the store had a quite infringing name, by the way.

I'm not sure we're on the same terms here... are you perhaps talking about appliers? I can't imagine that any original LeLutka HUD should be able to control anything but original LeLutka heads. Can you perhaps show a few screenshots with the avatar(s) in question, the HUD and your opened Worn tab, please?

What Ariel said should provide you with clear, fine copies.
Whenever it says "(link)" in its name, you only created a shortcut to the original. And typically, HUDs cannot create new inventory folders.

• Like 1

That Marketplace link is only showing as incorrent because - for some reason - it has the word 'Lelutka' inserted in the middle of it. This is the avatar in question:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/MrPoet-Sigurd-Full-Bento-Mesh-Avatar-DEMO/22164160

@fasciculariaWhen appliers are used, any head or body will always remember its previous saved state, which will be whatever applier was last used on it. The avatar you are using has BoM capability, which makes use of system layers. These are saved differently - as specific items within a created outfit folder, as opposed to appliers which are saved on the body and head itself. If you use the BoM skins included with the head and body, you should be able to achieve what you appear to be asking for in your original post here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It took me a while to dig this out of my post history, and be warned: this is LONG. But it explains the difference between how appliers and BoM work when it comes to saving outfits. Please note, this was written for a female avatar, but it works exactly the same for male avatars:

--------------------------------------------

If you're saving outfits via the viewer (as in: the outfits go into the Outfits inventory folder, and the outfits include any mesh body parts (mesh head, mesh body, mesh eyes, etc) then you do need to be aware of the way that mesh body parts and outfits in general work.

An outfit that's created via the Outfits option of the viewer simply comprises a series of links to the original item in your inventory. Think of them like shortcuts on your computer. Here's an example.

How outfits work

In RL let's say you have an Excel Spreadsheet to keep track of your spending. That spreadsheet is called budget.xml, and it sits in My Documents > Financial. But you get a bit fed up of having to either dig through your My Documents folder, or scroll down through the 'previous files' list in Excel, so you create a Desktop shortcut to the budget.xml file. When you double-click on that desktop shortcut it automatically launches the file that you need.

In SL let's say you have an outfit called My Base Outfit. It comprises everything you need to wear for the absolute basics of any look - a 'nude outfit' that you can then start to dress up - so that would be the four system items you cannot remove (system shape, skin, eyes, and hair), your mesh head, your mesh body, and the HUDs for the head and body. Each item in that outfit is SL's equivalent to a 'desktop shortcut' to the original item (the My Documents > Financial > budget.xml file) in your inventory.

How mesh heads and bodies work

Here's the applier version

Lets say that you create an outfit where you're wearing a bikini, sarong, pair of sandals, and a frangipani flower in your hair. It's a beach outfit, so you want to be tanned. You change your skin applier to be a nice tanned one. You add some nice, bright, summery applier makeup that looks great on a tanned skin. You save that outfit and call it Beach Outfit.

You have a dance later that evening, so you want to get ready for that in advance, so let's say that you then put on a formal ballgown and heels. This time you don't want to be tanned, so you change your applier skin to be pale. Against that pale skin the bright summery makeup looks a bit too much, so you change your applier makeup to be more subtle. You save that outfit and call it Formal.

You then change back into the Beach Outfit so you can head off to catch some virtual rays, but you notice that your skin is still pale and not tanned, and you're still wearing the subtle makeup from your Formal outfit instead of the bright beach makeup.

The reason for that is the outfit links (or shortcuts) mentioned at the start of this post. You're not saving copies of the body and head; you're saving links to the original body and head. So it stands that whatever state the original body and head are currently in (ie: which appliers you last applied to them) will carry across to all outfits they're saved in until you change that state (ie: apply different appliers to them).

Whatever you change on that mesh head and mesh body will carry across to every other outfit that they're linked to. If you change your head and body in any outfit to be BoM (for example) every other linked instance of the head and body in all of your other outfit folders will also be BoM (but because those oufits will also still contain the alpha layers that we don't use with BoM, you'll look really strange when you next try them on!)

Here's the BoM version

With BoM you set up your mesh head and mesh body just once, to be able to use BoM. As long as you don't subsequently then use an applier skin on that mesh head and body, it will remain BoM. With BoM you don't put anything else on the head and body. Instead you change the system layers that you're wearing underneath it all.

Let's go back to your two outfits - Beach and Formal - again.

You're wearing your BoM mesh head and BoM mesh body. You wear a tanned system/BoM skin. You add your bright, summery makeup using a system tattoo layer. You then add the bikini, sarong, sandals, and flower. You save the outfit and call it Beach Outfit.

If you then look inside that Beach Outfit folder you'll see links (shortcuts!) to the system/BoM skin and the makeup tattoo layer(s) that you used. That means those items will automatically be worn - and subsequently change how you look - the next time you wear that outfit.

Wearing your BoM mesh head and BoM mesh body, you then wear a pale system/BoM skin, and add that subtle makeup. You add your formal ballgown and heels, and save that outfit as Formal.

Look inside the Formal outfit folder. You'll see a link to the pale system/BoM skin and the subtle tattoo layer makup. Again, that means those items will automatically be worn - and subsequently change how you look - the next time you wear that outfit.

With BoM your mesh head and mesh body don't change, and they don't need to change. All of the texture changes are made using system layers, and those system layers will be linked to in the outfit. The only 'state' that your mesh head and body will remember is "I'm set up for BoM" rather than "I'm set up with a tanned applier skin and summery applier makeup and I'm not going to automatically change to a pale skin and subtle makeup when you put on that formal outfit".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1000 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.