Land Use Fees (Tier) Making My Eyes Bleed

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 991 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been looking at this so long that I'll need some helpful input.

I am a premium avi and belong to a group. The group owns land to which I contribute tier: My 1,024 premium tier and 8,192 purchased tier. I'd like to get my purchased tier contribution down to 4,096. I'm trying to figure out how much land has to be sold to do this.

According to the group land profile:

Total land in use = 16,752

Land available = 2

Total contribution 16,754

Your contribution: 6,015 (9216 max)

I'm thinking: 9,216 -6,015 + 1,024 = 4,225. So, shouldn't I be able to reduce my tier now (I can't)?

Approaching the problem from other angles, I keep getting different answers. Anyone have the correct one?

Much thanks in advance,

Taka

your group has 10% bonus on donated tier, you don't

your max contribution = 1024 + 8192 = 9216

so you have tier left, or other landholdings 
it says you donated 6015, deduct the premium 1024 = 4991 = the 8192 tier level..
you need to go on or under 5120 donation( is incl premium tier) before you can tier down

hope i dont make a mistake, but think that's it.

• Like 1

Total land in use = 16,752

Total contribution 16,754

if this is correct then it appears that there is currently more tier contributed than needs to be for the total land size

the group bonus formula for 16,752 sqm is: 16752 * 0.9091 = 15,230 tier

your current tier contribution is 6,015

16,754 - 6,015 = 10,739 tier contributed by other group members

the group needs 15,230 to maintain the current land

15,230 - 10,739 = 4,491 tiers

so you can reduce your contribution to 5120m (1024 premium + 4096 month) and not have to reduce the land size

with this you can actually increase the land size while also reducing your tier contribution

10,739 + 5,120 =  15,859

15,859 + 10% = 17,440 sqm

17,440 - 16,752 = 688

so can reduce your contribution down to 5,120 and add 688 sqm to your group. Assuming the total land and total contribution is correct

Edited by Mollymews

To get your tier down to the next slot, you need to only be contributing 5120 to the group (1024 + 4096).

That's 895 less than your current 6015 contribution.

The group has 2 Land Available, so it would either need someone else to make a contribution of 893, or abandon/sell 893.

The smallest slice of land possible is 16 m2.  893 / 16 = 55.8125.  You can't cut up a 16 m2 parcel to get 0.8125 of a 16 m2 parcel, hence you'll need to abandon/sell 56 of those little 16 m2's, or a total of 896 m2.

My analysis differs from @Mollymews.  I'm not sure why.  Your best bet is to go ahead and reduce your group contribution to 5120 -- everyone's in agreement that that's the amount needed to boop you down to the next tier level.  Your viewer should then inform you of how many m2's are lacking a contribution given the current amount of land owned.  That's the amount of land you'll either need to have someone else donate, or abandon/sell.  If you go the abandon/sell route, divide the number by 16, round up, then multiply by 16 (because you can't cut land smaller than 16 m2).

Hope that helps.  Keep us appraised of any developments.  🙂

2 hours ago, Takahiro Murasaki said:

Thanks all but this is what I mean ...

If I read correctly, Alwin Alcott says to sell off 895, Mollymews says to sell off 688 and Rabid Cheetah says to sell off 895

... to get me down to the lower tier level of 4096.

Go to the Land/Assets tab for the group owning the land

• change your contribution amount to 5120
  • click "save"
  • it will redisplay with a negative "Land available" number - this is the amount that you would need to sale to drop down to the lower 4096 tier level. 

Doing that should confirm whether it's the 895 or the 688 or something else.  The group bonus is based on the Total Contribution amount, I believe, so when less is contributed, the bonus amount also gets smaller.   

Remember that the amount to be sold may need to be adjusted to an amount that is evenly divided by 16 - see @Rabid Cheetah's comment above about that.

You can then change your amount of contributed tier back to your current 6015 contribution until you either sell the amount needed to reduce your tier (or have another group contributer add that amount to their tier contribution).    While it doesn't cause a problem to be short on group tier contributions for a short time, I would not leave it that way for very long. 

Then change your contribution back to 5120 which should drop you down to being billed at the lower tier level of 4096.   (Because tier is billed in arrears, you will most likely receive 1 last billing at the higher tier level after you reduce your contributed amount).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Takahiro Murasaki said:

Mollymews says to sell off 688

if you reduce your tier contribution to 5120, and the numbers are 16,752 and 16,754 as you stated, then you will be able to increase your parcel size by 688, not reduce it

but best to do as Moira says. In the Contribution box keep reducing the amount of tier as your contribution until the numbers turn red colour. When they go red then there is insufficient tier, so keep adding 1 tier til the numbers are not red

Yeah, it's confusing partly because the "Your contribution" number and its "max" are actual tier areas, but the "Total contribution" and Land in use and available are adjusted by that extra 10% "group bonus" and that's why I always end up doing as @MoiraKathleen suggests and trial-and-error a hypothetical contribution, in your case 5120 m² corresponding to the lower tier level.

But in the spirit of the exercise: You're currently contributing 6015 m², so to get down to 5120 you'd reduce that contribution by 895 as @Rabid Cheetah calculated, but that's contributed tier, corresponding to 984.5 m² (round to 985) of bonus-added land by which the group's "Total contribution" would be reduced, leaving it at 15,769. That means the most actual land in 16m² units the group will be able to own will become 15,760m². Because the group currently owns 16,752 it will need to shed 992 m² actual land area, assuming nobody else changes their group contribution.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Mollymews said:

if this is correct then it appears that there is currently more tier contributed than needs to be for the total land size

the group bonus formula for 16,752 sqm is: 16752 * 0.9091 = 15,230 tier

your current tier contribution is 6,015

16,754 - 6,015 = 10,739 tier contributed by other group members

the group needs 15,230 to maintain the current land

15,230 - 10,739 = 4,491 tiers

so you can reduce your contribution to 5120m (1024 premium + 4096 month) and not have to reduce the land size

with this you can actually increase the land size while also reducing your tier contribution

10,739 + 5,120 =  15,859

15,859 + 10% = 17,440 sqm

17,440 - 16,752 = 688

so can reduce your contribution down to 5,120 and add 688 sqm to your group. Assuming the total land and total contribution is correct

I was wondering how you got to the figure you did  @Mollymews, it seems you used the contribution plus group bonus instead of the total contribution minus group bonus, so your figures marked in red on the quote above should be:

15,230 - 6,015 = 9,215 tier contributed by other group members

15,230 - 9,215 = 6,015 tier

Reduce contribution to 5,120 (1024 prem + 4096 tier) 

9,215 + 5,120 = 14,335

14,335 + 10% = 15,768 sqm

15,768 - 16,752 = -984

40 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

the group's "Total contribution" would be reduced, leaving it at 15,769. That means the most actual land in 16m² units the group will be able to own will become 15,760m². Because the group currently owns 16,752 it will need to shed 992 m² actual land area, assuming nobody else changes their group contribution.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, MoiraKathleen said:

Go to the Land/Assets tab for the group owning the land

• change your contribution amount to 5120
  • click "save"
  • it will redisplay with a negative "Land available" number - this is the amount that you would need to sale to drop down to the lower 4096 tier level. 

Brilliant!

What a clever idea. I did just that. It gave me 982. 

Thanks very much, Moira. Thanks, all. Now I'm off to sell some land.

Edit: We found a nice 1,168 section that we can sell off. Thanks again to all of you for your help!

Edited by Takahiro Murasaki
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

Don't forget to scooch the Land Donated To Group up so that Land Available no longer shows as negative.  You don't want to encounter any problems with Linden Labs should it take a while to sell off the land.

Oh, I do that immediately. I always do wonder what would happen if I didn't. Would Linden start returning prims? And in what order?

Not that I ever want to test it!

• Like 1

You'd probably get plenty of warning before a "Land" Linden took any action. They want to keep customers, not drive people away, so if they can lure you back into compliance somehow, that's in everybody's best interest.

Thing is, though, they're apt to remember violators, troublemakers, cads, and ne'er-do-wells so it may be best to stay on their good side if possible. (Also they're nice folks so I try not to make their lives difficult.)

Now… I super do not recommend this, and it happened years ago, but FWIW: I accidentally left a group several thousand m² under-tiered for several months and never heard a word about it. (This was how I discovered it's possible to leave a group to which one has contributed tier, and that contribution automatically immediately and silently goes to zero.) I kinda hope all this has changed now, but I'm not planning to test.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 991 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.