Zuckerberg Comes for the Metaverse

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 541 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 8/19/2021 at 1:40 PM, asteriddle said:

did see a funny tweet that the idea of the 'metaverse' popular among aforementioned NFT-loving  types is just 'normie''s SL

The problem is, it isn't.  They see it the way they see something like all NFTs.  It's just another "investment" scam that they can hopefully make money off of int he long run.  They have no actual interest in the metaverse, just in trying to scam others by selling the scam NFT "things" they massively overpaid for.

I am Meta!  No! I am Meta.  Nuuu! We all Meta

some random person way down the back:  I am Meta!

everybody looks and sees the Facebook guy wearing a Meta facemask. And go: hmmm!

Facebook guy goes ohhh! come on guys, I wanna play too!

everybody goes: oh! ok then

Meta facemask guy goes. thanks! and hey! umm! Don't suppose somebody can give me like 10,000 guns and ammo so I can level up!

everybody goes: dang newbie!. Welcome to the metaverse bey!

😸

5 hours ago, Finite said:

I wonder if they'll have their own virtual currency and if Tilia will process credits for them xD.

They have the money, devs and legal to clone Tilia over a lazy afternoon.

Probably name it something equally vague like MetaCash .. such a good name, and only treads on the toes of some random no one cares altcoin. It's almost like you already know what a company named MetaCash would do, just from the name .. I bet they would have an app too.

7 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Facebook just changed it's name to Meta. They're going all-in on the metaverse.

I thought they changed it to Facebook Connect looking at registration of corporate logos that people were finding on Twitter.

But now it says the new name is Meta.

But I think they may have self-demonopolized into faux separate companies before the feds do that to them. So like Google with its "Alphabet," they probably have a parent company and spinoffs and who knows what. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

But I think they may have self-demonopolized into faux separate companies before the feds do that to them. So like Google with its "Alphabet," they probably have a parent company and spinoffs and who knows what. 

this makes a lot sense. Better to reorganise yourself than have it done to you by the regulators.

are they gonna have ZuckPolice in different color uniforms that will act as the thought police and 'fact checkers' as well? Scan your chat and IMs to see if you are expressing WrongThink and send in the BrownShirt bots to throw you in jail for a time out? Will Meta Citizens identified as 'Wrong Thinkers" Be forced to wear a Gold star on their  outfits?

Will random bots show up delivering a bunch of ads? Everything you search for on the internet will ads start appearing for that everywhere in your Meta world now?

7 minutes ago, Jackson Redstar said:

Will Meta Citizens identified as 'Wrong Thinkers" Be forced to wear a Gold star on their  outfits?

You really need to rethink your choice of analogy here.

Getting fact checked is in no way comparable to the holocaust.

Edited by Coffee Pancake
  • Like 3

Meta? He's calling the holding company Meta? "Only a handful of people know the name, closely guarded secret, blah blah blah" (from news a week ago).

SMH. 🤣

My team (senior UX) had a meeting a week ago and two of us guessed Meta and even wrote it on a MIRO board we're using for odds and ends. 

A pig in lipstick is still a pig.

• Like 1

So, I started Second Life back in 2007/08 when it was really popular. I've been out for a long time but I keep my eye on it, just to see if Linden Labs have fixed the things that made it pretty much fail beyond what it is now.

They've done a lot, but the foundation of Second Life is still creeky.

Many people complain that Zuck and others are ignoring Second Life. Believe me when I say this, Zuck KNOWS about Second life. He's probably had an Avatar and played around with it. IF he thought Second life could be adapted for what he wants he would of brought a boatload of cash and bought it a LONG time ago.

He hasn't.

Ask yourself WHY?

Because when Zuck did his due diligence (Cory probably told him all he needed to know)...and it wouldn't surprise me if at some point Facebook came and did a deep dive into the back end that they discovered:

1. The code base is old and a MESS

2. It doesn't Scale and CAN'T without completely re-writing the foundation code from scratch

SL was about 20 years too early. The tech and cloud computing wasn't really at the point that they could realistically scale. Getting around that to even get a passable product required a LOT of band-aids, hacks and custom glue. All that crap is still there, you can't get rid of it cause it's like pulling a jengo piece out.

I'd LOVE to see Second Life become what Zuck wants, but it's not happening.

Oh, and I loath Facebook and Mark Zuckerberg.

Edited by Doug Vanderbor
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, Burper Tilling said:

One wonders what Virgin Media thinks about the new Meta logo. 

That new logo is more subtle than that; it's not merely an infinity symbol, but also a (very) stylized "M" so I think they'd have no trademark issues (unless somebody else has already done that same thing).

The re-org pretty clearly lets Zuck skirt Congressional appearances as Facebook CEO now that he can appoint a designated punching bag to that very well compensated position, while retaining majority voting share control for himself.

All the "metaverse" chatter sounds like mere chaff, but the fact they're changing their ticker symbol to MVRS suggests they mean to keep up the charade for a while.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burper Tilling said:

One wonders what Virgin Media thinks about the new Meta logo. 

One also wonders if there are any existing organisations named Meta who might be a less than happy.

There are and have been a number of Opensim grids and organizations over the years that have used the name metaverse in part or full in their names starting I think with the originator of the Hypergrid function (Diva Canto) which many Opensim residents consider to be an essential aspect of virtual worlds to be defined as a "Metaverse". Diva has a blog and download section for Opensimulator servers on her site called the Metaverse Ink since 2007.

4 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

Remember how in 1981, IBM made personal computers business-worthy? How did that work out for them?

Hmmmm.

or

I guess it depends on whether you want to be black and white or color. Whether you want to grow and play or "make dough" (you cannot eat the cake, it is a lie.)

4 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

That new logo is more subtle than that; it's not merely an infinity symbol, but also a (very) stylized "M" so I think they'd have no trademark issues (unless somebody else has already done that same thing).

The re-org pretty clearly lets Zuck skirt Congressional appearances as Facebook CEO now that he can appoint a designated punching bag to that very well compensated position, while retaining majority voting share control for himself.

All the "metaverse" chatter sounds like mere chaff, but the fact they're changing their ticker symbol to MVRS suggests they mean to keep up the charade for a while.

If it's an 'M' then MacDonalds might have something to say too.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 541 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.