Chinese Traditional Communities in Second Life?

LottaSinclair

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 61 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, everyone; 

I'm looking for a traditional Chinese community in Second Life.

I've been wondering, since there seem to be quite a lot of communities with groups and sims having to do with Japan, its culture and a traditional Japanese lifestyle, if there were any communities and places like these dealing with traditional Chinese culture. I've seen vibrant Arab, Polynesian, Indian, African, Irish and Scottish communities in Second Life, but I haven't seen a Chinese community.

In a lot of these very popular Japanese communities, you see stores selling and people dressed in kimono, traditional Japanese events with traditional Japanese customs, instruments and dance, geisha schools, samurai and traditional Japanese bathhouses (onsen) and traditional Japanese homes. Roleplay is also very popular in these communities.

Are there any dedicated Chinese counterparts anywhere in Second Life? Since there are so many Chinese items, traditional Chinese clothing, accessories, furniture and buildings on the marketplace and just a few in-world Chinese stores and showcase sims (which are quite small but do often have groups attached) I figured there should be a good amount of people who are interested in traditional Chinese culture and want to habitually live the lifestyle, much like in those popular Japanese communities. 

I'm not referring to groups and such for Chinese people and Chinese speakers, or nominally promoting Chinese culture or something else, but isn't different from any other group or place. I'm referring to communities where you can immerse yourself in traditional Chinese culture, attend traditional Chinese events and rent traditional Chinese homes, much like in the traditional Japanese communties. There is a considerable Japanese-speaking community in SL, but many of the English-speaking traditional Japanese communities in SL aren't filled with only native Japanese people; mostly people who are interested and delighted by Japanese culture and lifestyle. A lot of them have studied Japanese and many have visited or lived in Japan, but they make the community distinct from the native Japanese community. 

Are there similar communities encompassing Chinese culture? Let me know what you think;

- LottaSinclair

Little YoshiwaraA Chinese Garden in Second Life – Inara Pey: Living in a ModemworldSecond Life Marketplace - chinese complete Avatar yang yuhuanSecond Life Marketplace - JOMO Ancient buildings - Peony Pavilion0.2

Edited by LottaSinclair

Interesting idea. There's a big market within China for historical dramas, and there are some big-budget ones you can watch online. And of course, there's wuxia.

Is SL blocked in China?

Posted (edited)

Hello, Quistess Alpha and animats, 

Thank you so much for your replies;

Although on one occasion I have met someone in SL who resides in Mainland China and presumably uses a VPN to access Second Life,

What I'm looking for is not to use Second Life in China, or a Chinese community that's made up mostly of residents who live in China and use Second Life in China;

I'm looking for communities in SL for people outside of China to experience traditional Chinese culture in SL. Much like all of the Japanese communities in SL, traditional or modern, they're usually run by people who may have a connection to China (having lived there or studied Chinese) but aren't Chinese themselves but share a passion for Chinese culture with others like them. 

Again, I'm not referring to groups and community sims primarily for Chinese people (usually their descriptions are written in Mandarin) rather a community like Little Yoshiwara (a traditional Japanese community in SL) or the Emirate of Salmiya (an Arab community on a desert sim) where anyone who is interested can come and immerse themselves in traditional Chinese culture. 

Those pictures I included above are just to give an idea what that might be like, with sprawling pavilions, traditional gardens and temples. A place to hold events relating to Chinese culture and music, people around you dressed in traditional clothing and traditional Chinese homes to rent. Of course, roleplay is also an element which brings people in, and would be interesting to see.

Are there any places in Second Life like this, in your experience? Even if it's a small community.

Edited by LottaSinclair

Not for a long time, that I am aware of. There is a group called Imperial Arts (I used to buy Chinese musical instruments at a shop called Haiku at their location) that did Asian art exhibitions and performances but last I checked they don't seem to be active anymore.  Of course there is Kowloon, but not the era you are looking for :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much for your replies;

I checked out Kowloon and I quite enjoyed my brief time there; thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Yes, I am looking for a community that focuses on the more traditional aspects. There's Chinese Island, but it's more of a project than a community, and it doesn't seem to have too much of a strong focus on traditional Chinese culture.

If anybody knows any other places or groups worth checking out, please let me know; it's better to have more leads than none at all.

• Like 1

Hi , I know some place that are near your require, those place are small not very big , some Chinese players around there. 

If you intrested, just Im me in world, I can bring you there.

My name is Youna Qinan in world. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 61 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.