Understanding Texture Console

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 87 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi!

I'm trying to understand the texture console and have a few questions:

CRE - Wiki says "Texture needs to be created." Does this mean the texture has not been downloaded yet and does not yet exist as file on the disk?

DEU - Wiki doesn't mention this state. What is this?

How can I determine the bottleneck? I'm using a RAM Drive as cache location. I mostly see CRE and DEU states. Are there any values to tweak? Is it a single thread that downloads the textures or multiple? Is the amount of threads configurable?

Would appreciate if anyone could help me out here!

In most viewers it is a single thread to fetch and decode textures.

But some viewers have a multi-threaded decoder by now (Cool VL Viewer, and i saw the change in the Firestorm repos too, but not yet released) which can speed up texture loading&rezzing quite a bit. Those viewers have settings to adjust the number of threads for texture decoding.

• Like 1

Having the texture console open has a non trivial impact on the speed at which the texture pipeline operates. Having this open is expensive.

Do NOT get into the habit of having this open unless you are a developer working on viewer code.

I'm not going to explain what everything means, this is all documented in the viewer source code. Sorry if that seems a little blunt.

Make sure your cache location is whitelisted by your AV so it doesn't throttle the whole pipeline scanning every single texture file multiple times.

I'm mostly wondering why you're using a RAM Drive as a cache location. Am i to understand that you allocated a section of your computer's RAM and use this as your cache location? If so, that really defeats the point of having cache at all. A RAM Drive gets wiped when the computer reboots or shuts down so your texture cache and inventory cache has to be fetched over and over again. Pointless bandwidth loss for both you and LL, right?

7 hours ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

I'm mostly wondering why you're using a RAM Drive as a cache location. Am i to understand that you allocated a section of your computer's RAM and use this as your cache location? If so, that really defeats the point of having cache at all. A RAM Drive gets wiped when the computer reboots or shuts down so your texture cache and inventory cache has to be fetched over and over again. Pointless bandwidth loss for both you and LL, right?

As Coffee says RAM drives can be persistent. I have one that I use, Dataram RAMDisk v4.4. They are the fastest drive you can get. With a normal shutdown the current state of the drive is saved to the hard disk. On start up it is reloaded. In the event of a crash the previous last good save is used for the recovery startup.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 87 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.