why do my friends get better frames than me, but my computer is better?

Rumancekk

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 994 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have friends tell me they're getting 40 frames while I'm getting 20. I asked two of them what their cpus were and bench marked both of them with mine and mine came out on top each time.

I also have an AMD RX580 but it doesn't matter as much as the cpu right?

this is their settings:

1d4e20e59ae9e38054fadef7a9f90079.png

vs my settings:

fffc16481f2cb10d84559946581addb8.png

they are running on a laptop, i am running on a gaming pc. i cannot make sense of this at all. please help.

6 answers to this question

I assume that you are all standing in the same region, comparing performance, so it's probably just that they have better Internet connections, or you have a bunch of other stuff running on your machine.  In any case 20 fps isn't bad.  It's what most people would expect to get at ground level on a typical region where there are a lot of textures to render and a bunch of avatars to slow things down.  That's about what I get on my own region until I pop up to my skybox, where I get 70 to 80 fps.

6 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I assume that you are all standing in the same region, comparing performance, so it's probably just that they have better Internet connections, or you have a bunch of other stuff running on your machine.  In any case 20 fps isn't bad.  It's what most people would expect to get at ground level on a typical region where there are a lot of textures to render and a bunch of avatars to slow things down.  That's about what I get on my own region until I pop up to my skybox, where I get 70 to 80 fps.

we are all standing in the same place, together. and they will get the same fps. they do have better connection than me by a long shot but i had heard it mainly had to do with the cpu power not the internet?

we are on a private homestead

6 minutes ago, Rumancekk said:

we are all standing in the same place, together. and they will get the same fps. they do have better connection than me by a long shot but i had heard it mainly had to do with the cpu power not the internet?

Everything counts.  SL doesn't work like games that you might be used to playing on the Internet. Because most of the action takes place in LL servers, your viewer has to stay in sync with them all the time.  The viewer feeds the servers information about your av's appearance and position and then it updates everything so that you and anyone else on the region see the same thing.  If your connection has a longer ping time than your friends', you might not be able to get updates as quickly, so your FPS drops.  I really don't know enough to guess more than that.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 1

It's really hard, almost meaningless, to compare performance between different avatars, since they have different graphics settings, computers, and internet connections. Even if you set up everything exactly the same, they're usually looking in different directions, too.

When I had a Mainland home, I could get double the fps or more just by looking out over the open ocean, instead of looking inland where all the textures were.

You can do a lot to eliminate this variable by having everyone go up to a skybox that's more than 1000m above the ground.

• Like 2

The people who build graphics cards collaborate with the people who build high end games for computers.  It could be that your computer would do much better on such games, where the graphics and the game are designed in tandem, than your friends' systems would.  Nobody builds GPUs or provides drivers for them that designed in collaboration with LL.  You may have a lot of extra power in your system that you just can't use in SL.

Also, if you are in FS, your system specs, vs your friends' systems' specs might be useful information to look at.  (Help/About Firestorm).

I think there are camera control HUDs that let u and another person see the same thing from the same angle.  One of them might be helpful in comparing FPS with others. 

I recommend turning down your Maximum complexity to the default value for the speed/quality performance slider being half-way between "High" and "Ultra".  I believe that setting is 350,000.  There are those who will try to crash you by wearing extremely complex items.  👍

Edited by sandi Mexicola

Your connection has no impact on your performance other than slowing down/speeding up the download times and thus the amount of things that can come in at a time as well as the time it takes for a scene to fully load, after that performance is solely hardware and viewer/settings.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 994 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.