Convert Blender file to Maya...

heidi Chardin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 997 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, my partner needs to convert a Blender file to Maya (is for a mesh body developer kit). She has been looking tutorials but she's not used to Maya and it looks quite confusing. I'm looking for someone who knows how to do it (we would pay for it, of course). Thanks!

If somebody is paying the hefty monthly subscription to Autodesk for Maya of 215 USD, I would have assumed they would have first completed the basic tutorials including fbx files etc.  

If they don't have those basics, I would question their capability to weight paint etc or have even basic decent topology as that's all far more complicated that moving files between programs..

Also you would be FAR better off doing clothing if just starting out in a (legal) copy of FREE Blender.  You can then use a plug in like Avastar (spelling)....that takes some of the pain out of the SL requirements for clothing.

Edited by Charlotte Bartlett
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Charlotte Bartlett said:

If somebody is paying the hefty monthly subscription to Autodesk for Maya of 215 USD, I would have assumed they would have first completed the basic tutorials including fbx files etc.

If I understood the OP right, it was about making a dev kit available for Maya users and it that case it's understandable if she isn't familiar with the software.

Anyway, I posted a reply to the duplicate thread in the correct forum before I saw this thread. Hope that one was of some help.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1

The OP was misunderstood.  The allusion that the OP is being less than legitimate should be flagged as unacceptable behavior.  The design is to reach the edge just so far without breaking a rule, expecting nobody to respond to it or have it flagged.  I think this behavior should cease, there's no good use for it.

In any event, they are not using Maya, they needed a task completed, which I have done using my very own Bento Buddy.  The tool mentioned that "takes some of the pain out of..." was actually the cause of the problem and is why I continue to develop and improve Bento Buddy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BinBash said:

The OP was misunderstood.  The allusion that the OP is being less than legitimate should be flagged as unacceptable behavior.  The design is to reach the edge just so far without breaking a rule, expecting nobody to respond to it or have it flagged.  I think this behavior should cease, there's no good use for it.

In any event, they are not using Maya, they needed a task completed, which I have done using my very own Bento Buddy.  The tool mentioned that "takes some of the pain out of..." was actually the cause of the problem and is why I continue to develop and improve Bento Buddy.

Oh .. So the suggestion that might not be paying Autodesk the eye watering $215 a month / $1700 a year (and would have access to their support and forums for what must be a fairly common problem) is unacceptable. But using this to attack a competing product and plug your L$5000 alternative is.

IbPGYG0.gif

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Oh .. So the suggestion that might not be paying Autodesk the eye watering $215 a month / $1700 a year

Indie license, roughly 300 dollars per year. The pricing factor should be taken out of discussion as it is personal choices. Licenses legality also should no longer be questioned, since the licensing option I mentioned above is in effect starting from August 2020,almost an year by now.

Anyway, what BinBash says about Avastar being part of the problem isn't wrong. The export procedure in avastar does a few tricks and hacks to make it work for SL, but creates a jungle of matrices conversions that shouldn't be there, making the move of a devkit from what they exported to Maya a whole day task almost, in order to fix the havok that breaks loose as soon as basic operations take place.

The rest of his statements are his own opinion and I'm not referring to what they imply with those assertions and their scope

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/24/2021 at 1:22 PM, Charlotte Bartlett said:

Also you would be FAR better off doing clothing if just starting out in a (legal) copy of FREE Blender.  

Have you ever considered trying to answer her question without accusing them (without proof or anything) of using pirated software? Just wondering.

Edited by Noelle Delaunay
  • Like 1

On 7/25/2021 at 6:10 AM, Coffee Pancake said:

Oh .. So the suggestion that might not be paying Autodesk the eye watering $215 a month / $1700 a year (and would have access to their support and forums for what must be a fairly common problem) is unacceptable. But using this to attack a competing product and plug your L$5000 alternative is.

It's absolutely true captain.  And I will continue to do so.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Noelle Delaunay said:

Have you ever considered trying to answer her question without accusing them (without proof or anything) of using pirated software? Just wondering.

Apologies I think you misread my comment and are applying the wrong sentiment due to some other posts in this thread.  

Let me expand so it's more clear - I should have done a better job of explaining my thought process so I apologise.

I recommend  using FREE Blender as it's what many SL creators use if just starting out.  It has a wealth of free tutorials, support, and community to help new creators - specifically things like navigating the body kits (which all come with their own individual challenges).  Just search these forums and you will find some incredible tutorials and support on it e.g. like Chic's ones.  

The OP's partner needed to convert a Blender file to Maya. They had been looking for tutorials but was not used to Maya and confirmed they found that aspect confusing.   So they was looking for somebody whom knew how to do that (and offered to pay). Hence my recommendation on Blender use versus paying a hefty subscription fee for an application if they do not yet have the basic skills with to convert files.   I hope that is clearer.   My post is about not paying for software when you can use free software to do the same thing when first starting out - nothing to do with whether somebody is legally using software or not and nor did I state that.   

I hope that clarifies matter for you.

Edited by Charlotte Bartlett

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 997 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.