Olympics

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 68 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

38 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

You forgot golf, shooting and horse events IMHO.
To me especially with the horse events, it is more an achievement of the horse than the person on the horseback. Put an ace rider on a lame horse and he/she is toasted. And a mediocre one on a top horse and he/she is a winner.

Aren't they using their own horses and not just getting a random horse? I haven't had the chance to watch any of those events yet..

I do know this though.. There is not a rider on this planet that will ride my horse better than me, I don't care how good they think they are.. hehehe

Each ride their own horses, thankfully for the poor animals.
They are worn down and punished enough in the name of sports by their owners already.

Mind you, I have nothing against people riding a horse, but I'm totally against the use of horses in "sports".

5 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Each ride their own horses, thankfully for the poor animals.
They are worn down and punished enough in the name of sports by their owners already.

Mind you, I have nothing against people riding a horse, but I'm totally against the use of horses in "sports".

I will say this.. All the horses that i barrel raced with, loved barrel racing.. hehehe

I have been out of it for a few years now, but still have to take  the barrels out for them.. Because the second I get close to the barrels they start carrying on.. hehehe

I do know where you are coming from with saying what you are, because yes there are owners that treat their horses like just a thing..

But there are a lot that their horses are a big part of their life even outside the sport..

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I will say this.. All the horses that i barrel raced with, loved barrel racing.. hehehe

I have been out of it for a few years now, but still have to take  the barrels out for them.. Because the second I get close to the barrels they start carrying on.. hehehe

I do know where you are coming from with saying what you are, because yes there are owners that treat their horses like just a thing..

But there are a lot that their horses are a big part of their life even outside the sport..

Close to my home there was a field where a local horse club trained mainly kids to ride a horse. Nothing wrong with that.
Also in the nearby city of Aachen there is a very well world wide known annual horse jumping tournament The CHIO Aachen.

Years ago, a few days before the CHIO started that year, all of a sudden a few very professional horse trailers and fancy motor homes were parked around that field. I went to look what was on.

A worldwide renown multiple Olympic gold medal winner and world champion was training his horses.
Next to each side post of the fence to jump over, there stood a helper holding a pole down to earth.
Now the moment that gold medalist jumped with his horse over the fence they would wack the poor animal at his back legs with that pole, only to make him jump higher.  :(
Thankfully that idiot was caught on camera a few years later, but I'm sure it happens a lot more.
Just google  for  "horse jumping cruelty".

It is the same with circus animals. No elephant will sit on a stool or stand on two legs for a pat on the back or a loaf of bread.
No horse will jump over a high fence when in a fenced pasture.
It is pushing the animals to the limits and that involves (partly severe) punishment.
I never saw a professional horse race without the use of whips.

People have choices whether or not to race or jump.
Animals are made doing it (with force if required).

Edited by Sid Nagy

34 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

They're long gone, but I had neighbors with horses. I got to see a bit of what you describe. Dog owners know the joy of coming home to a dog that's eager to see them, and to play, or go for a walk. It's the same for horses, except the play is a little different and the "walks" are... a lot different.

It's also a hoot when the dogs and horses play together.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters

10 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Close to my home there was a field where a local horse club trained mainly kids to ride a horse. Nothing wrong with that.
Also in the nearby city of Aachen there is a very well world wide known annual horse jumping tournament The CHIO Aachen.

Years ago, a few days before the CHIO started that year, all of a sudden a few very professional horse trailers and fancy motor homes were parked around that field. I went to look what was on.

A worldwide renown multiple Olympic gold medal winner and world champion was training his horses.
Next to each side post of the fence to jump over, there stood a helper holding a pole down to earth.
Now the moment that gold medalist jumped with his horse over the fence they would wack the poor animal at his back legs with that pole, only to make him jump higher.  :(
Thankfully that idiot was caught on camera a few years later, but I'm sure it happens a lot more.
Just google  for  "horse jumping cruelty".

It is the same with circus animals. No elephant will sit on a stool or stand on two legs for a pat on the back or a loaf of bread.
No horse will jump over a high fence when in a fenced pasture.
It is pushing the animals to the limits and that involves (partly severe) punishment.
I never saw a professional horse race without the use of whips.

People have choices whether or not to race or jump.
Animals are made doing it (with force if required).

I'm not agreeing with that kind of treatment at all..I'm more aware than most of what goes on in more than a few sports and events with horses..

The Tennessee walking horse Celebration to name one of them..

The things they would do just to get a walking horse to step a little higher, just turned my stomach..

The pads they use in the event for the high step gate,I just couldn't think of putting those on my horses..

I'm just saying not everyone in sports with horses are like that.. There is more than one way to work with a horse..

Some work a horse some work with them.

I've loved horses long before I ever knew I would ever have any.. Mine are my babies..

I could take my main horse out for a run or run her around the barrels..She enjoys running with me.. If she didn't, she wouldn't run all the way across the pasture to get me on her back..

I'll just jump on and go, no tack bare back and off we go.. hehehe

I had to look up sports that used to be in the Olympics.. hehehe

How the heck did equestrian vaulting get in there? That has to be the dumbest thing I ever seen in the Olympics.. Hey, We need something to vault over..

I know!! How about Horses?!  😆

Edited by Ceka Cianci

A German coach was send home today because of mistreating a horse.
Yeah, yeah, what is a horse when it comes to medals?
Out with animals in top sports. People ain't worthy of it.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

Piggy back riding

Pig Rodeo by GrayRadical on DeviantArt

I've done that before.. That's more like piggy rodeo, because they just don't want you up there.. hehehehe

the games are over and we Aotearoa New Zealand came 13th

thanks to all the athletes and people who helped to bring some little joy to the world during these bleak times

just a shout out to Lydia Ko who hung in there for a bronze

and to the Black Ferns who gave me lots of conniptions on the way to winning their gold medal

and Lisa Carrington who won 3 gold medals. If Lisa was a country she would have come 33rd :)

big ups to everyone else as well, including those who never won any medal but tried really hard and got to the Olympics, which is pretty big achievement in itself. So well done all those people

• Like 2

I can only say, that as someone living in Tokyo I ( and many people here) am more than glad it's finally over. What the people against the Olympics were afraid of, happened. More covid cases. And other things too. 

Don't get me wrong before the pandemic many were euphoric about it of course, but the decision to hold the games against all odds was not a very popular one, not even with our government.

So yay for being over x3 and I hope all the athletes make it home to their countries all safe and healthy ( ◜‿◝ )♡

• Like 2

The Tokyo games were very successful for the Netherlands.
We never ended that high in the medal list (7th place) and we never had that many medals before.
We let a few bigger sport countries like Germany behind us.

IMHO the most impressive Dutch athlete: Sifan Hassan who won gold on the 5,000 and the 10,000 meter run and bronze on the 1,500 meter run.

Edited by Sid Nagy

On 8/4/2021 at 1:53 PM, Ceka Cianci said:

Aren't they using their own horses and not just getting a random horse?

Show jumping is one of the disciplines in the modern pentathlon. In that event, they don't get to use their own horses. They are strangers to the horse and they draw which one they will use from a hat(?).

In the women's event, one horse wouldn't work, and it destroyed the chances for a competitor. Then the German girl who was leading the event drew the same horse and it just wouldn't work again. I'm not sure if she actually got a jump out of it. It just wouldn't do anything. She was in floods of tears. Like the one before her, she got  zero points from that part of the event, and was nowhere at the end. From winning to zero, just because a bad horse was in the mix.

The men's event was the following day, and that horse wasn't a part of it.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

IMHO the most impressive Dutch athlete: Sifan Hassan who won gold on the 5,000 and the 10,000 meter run and bronze on the 1,500 meter run.

She was fantastic!

I used to watch the Olympics but lately with all the use of performance enhancing drugs and transwomen competing against women, I just lost interest.

And then the beating of a horse when it refused to perform. Honestly the Olympics can kiss it. hard. 

Edited by Ingrid Ingersoll
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

I used to watch the Olympics but lately with [...] transwomen competing against women, I just lost interest.

That was just plain wrong. I only know of New Zealand that did it. It was in the weight lifting, in which the guy used to compete in men's competitions. Fortunately, he didn't get anywhere in the olympics, but it was absolutely wrong to enter him in the women's competition.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

That was just plain wrong. I only know of New Zealand that did it. It was in the weight lifting, in which the guy used to compete in men's competitions. Fortunately, he didn't get anywhere in the olympics, but it was absolutely wrong to enter him in the women's competition.

Totally agree! and I'm from NZ 🤦‍♀️

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

There had been a long running prediction that Hubbard would deliberately "throw it" on the day to "prove" that there was no athletic advantage. 

Whether it was intentional or not, the fact that Hubbard was there at all - aged 43 and after serious injury, having never been international level when competing as a fit young man - is proof of the advantage, even after a course of androgen blockers. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

There had been a long running prediction that Hubbard would deliberately "throw it" on the day to "prove" that there was no athletic advantage.

what long running prediction ? internets ?

what I get from Laurel Hubbard is that in the public glare of the cameras they crumbled mentally due to the pressure of the situation that they put themselves into

it was Laurel's choice to do this and they accepted everything that comes with putting themself into this situations. Including crumbling on the world stage

2 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

what long running prediction ? internets ?

what I get from Laurel Hubbard is that in the public glare of the cameras they crumbled mentally due to the pressure of the situation that they put themselves into

it was Laurel's choice to do this and they accepted everything that comes with putting themself into this situations. Including crumbling on the world stage

Yes, internets, which you and I are using right now to communicate with each other, on a forum dedicated to a virtual world that also uses internets. 

But like I said, whether it was a fix or not, Hubbard's presence there even after using blockers demonstrates the advantage. Would a 43 year old, recently injured female athlete have qualified to compete?

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 68 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.